INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library / iPod woes - Please help  (Read 2171 times)

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
Library / iPod woes - Please help
« on: February 04, 2005, 10:48:33 am »

After a near-miss harddrive catastrophe last year (my windows partition went south, the media partition survived long enough to rescue; Merry Xmas from Western Digital!!!)

Fortunately with a bit of coaxing I was able to rescue & reimport all tunes on my PC onto another drive.  All my 'critical' tunes live on my pod as backup anyway.
I've since installed MC10 & upgraded to MC11.

This all happened just before Xmas & TBH it was such a mess & I was so glad to save the tunes that the re-org could be left until later. So here we are.

Note: My library was lost & I had not performed a sync in over 4months previous (not needed to, been a bad year for my musical tastes)  ::)

Problem is I have to merge the iPod contents & the MC11 library together whilst preserving the tagging, playcounts etc from my pod, but I cannot as (I don't think) MC11 won't recognise an MC10 formatted pod. Tis OK. I can live with that.

Theoretically could I reinstall MC10 & build a new library; fine, can do that.

As I only want these 'critical' playcounted tunes on the Pod to overwrite their PC equivalents will 'rebuild database from iPod' do this without ridding me of the rest of my PC collection?
If it can then I need guidance on what settings should be applied.

Correct me if I'm wrong but assuming that works, it should be a simple process to export this merged library into MC11?

==============

Incidentally I have noticed that migrating from 10 > 11 that my 'iPod' custom tag on my music files disappeared, & doesn't seem to appear within my files within 11 ('iPod' tag governs what lives on iPod or not & is heavily used). But maybe I just can't find it...  ::)

I'm a little unsure whether I can just create the tag again & apply it to my music, & all will reveal itself or if it will overwrite the existing values within the tags? It's not that important as keeping playcounts etc.

============

I realise these are rather fragmented problems & appreciate any advice you have with them.

Many Thanks,
Mike

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library / iPod woes - Please help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 04:30:37 pm »

Mike,

Problem is I have to merge the iPod contents & the MC11 library together whilst preserving the tagging, playcounts etc from my pod, but I cannot as (I don't think) MC11 won't recognise an MC10 formatted pod.

MC 11 should recognize a MC 10 formatted iPod.

Are all the files on the iPod in the MC 11 library?

What data from iPod are you interested in getting into MC , Playcounts, Date last Played, Ratings or all three?

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 07:05:08 pm »

Mike,

MC 11 should recognize a MC 10 formatted iPod.

Are all the files on the iPod in the MC 11 library?

What data from iPod are you interested in getting into MC , Playcounts, Date last Played, Ratings or all three?

Steve

Admittedly I didn't try it, had to reinitialise pod for the switch to MC10, assumed it was the same for 11...

Yes, the files exist in the MC11 library as it stands now, was thinking of deleting them & importing, but this is where the ipod custom tag would have helped as I keep my music in an artist > album > track structure, thus is difficult to delete without.

Ratings primarily playcounts would be nice but icing on the cake...

Thanks for taking the time,
Mike

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 05:59:05 pm »

Mike,

I am not sure about why the custom tag did not make it from 10 to 11. If you have the same files in MC and on iPod, have you ever synchronized the files?

If you have the option for 'Sync data to PC' selected, as soon as you click the 'Synchronize' button (when the tree of playlists appear in the action window) MC examines the last synched time (this time will be 0 if you have never synched). At that point, any last played data and playcount information should be updated in MC. If the date modifed time for the MC file is less than the last sync time and the iPod rating is not 0, MC should be updated with the iPod rating.

All of this occurs even if you cancel the sync.

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 10:39:56 am »

I haven't sync'd since before my hard drive went funny, the tunes are on both MC & iPod but the original library was lost.

Essentially I think MC will consider the tunes I'll sync to PC as new, & am afraid will add to the collection rather than overwrite what I already have there.

Better than losing them I guess.  But I could be wrong...Is there a way round this?

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 04:00:23 pm »

Essentially I think MC will consider the tunes I'll sync to PC as new, & am afraid will add to the collection rather than overwrite what I already have there.

During a sync (with 'Sync data to PC') checked, MC will only potentially overwrite the Rating field or update the Last Played and playcounts fields.  Not sure what you mean by 'add to the collection".

Is there a way round this?

Which part of it?

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 06:31:38 pm »

By add to the collection, I mean the tunes that will sync from the ipod, will they be added to the library & create duplicates files within my library rather than replacing the existing copy of the same files on my PC?

& if they create duplicates, is there a way round it?

thanx again,
Mike

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 01:01:11 pm »

Mike,

During the sync, no files automatically come from iPod to your PC. You can move files from iPod to PC by selecting them and right clicking on them and using the option to 'transfer to PC' .

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 04:22:30 pm »

Well, I plugged it in sync'ed to MC & prayed, think it worked out & all I lost was my iPod tag.

Thanks for your help!

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 05:03:13 pm »

Penfold,

Glad it all worked out. 

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up