INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipod and smartlists  (Read 1400 times)

lockeness

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
ipod and smartlists
« on: February 07, 2005, 02:03:15 pm »

I am about to buy a new 40gig ipod.  I currently have a dead V1.  I understand how synching playlists works in MC, but have just one question.

When you synch a smartlist to the ipod, does it remain a smartlist, or is it simply a playlist?  For example, if my playlist is "Select 100 random 5 star songs" - will the ipod generate a new playlist each play, or will it simply get the playlist that MC generates at the time of the synch?  Does the itunes software allow for the transfer of true smartlists?

Thanks!

benrad

Re: ipod and smartlists
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 10:27:32 pm »

No, smartlists are not dynamic. Unfortunately that only works with iTunes.

Otto

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 10:47:25 am »

No, smartlists are not dynamic. Unfortunately that only works with iTunes.

It also works with foo_pod, the iPod plugin for the foobar 2000 player. Winamp's mlipod plugin has an experimental mode that seems to work sometimes. GnuPod has some live updating smart playlist support as well, I believe.

Point being that it's quite possible to support it, as the methods by which to do so are well and truly reverse engineered and documented now.

conrelma

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 03:22:01 pm »

Otto, do you know where one can find that documentation?

Otto

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 02:28:46 pm »

Otto, do you know where one can find that documentation?

Me and some other people put all the reverse engineered information we figure out about the iPod's file formats here: http://www.ipodlinux.org/ITunesDB

We basically tend to use that as a dumping ground for thoughts while we're working on figuring out bits and pieces, so while it may be a bit uneven, it's by far the most comprehensive source for this stuff you will find.
Pages: [1]   Go Up