INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 first sync nomad zen xtra deleting all files  (Read 2106 times)

kcorbett

• Recent member
  • we wanna make him stay up all night here we go
MC 11 first sync nomad zen xtra deleting all files
« on: February 11, 2005, 11:18:31 pm »

? Well this isn't what I expected. My first sync to my new nomad zen xtra and MC 11 is deleting every file on the handheld.

So where did I do wrong?

I uninstalled MC 10, installed MC 11.0.193, and restored my library from backup. I had 17GB of MP3 files on the Nomad that I had copied from my PC using Creative's Explorer tool. All those files plus 5 CDs I ripped recently are in my MC 11 library.

I opened MC 11 and it recognized the Nomad. I right-clicked on synchronize and took the defaults.  I was expecting it to recognize the 5 CDs and copy them to the handheld.

Instead MC 11 is deleting every file on the Nomad. Now at file 501 of 5208 and counting up. It's doing the wrong thing - slowly!

The dialog box has no cancel option. I'm letting it finish because I don't want to corrupt anything and I can always re-copy the files.

Any advice?

/kmc

kcorbett

• Recent member
Re: MC 11 first sync nomad zen xtra deleting all files
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 12:19:11 am »

Second time before I ran sync I clicked on the option "sync all files".  The plugin sync'd 667 files - a fraction of the files in my library.

Third time I ran sync again and it transferred the same 667 files. Now I have renamed copies "foo" and "foo(1)" for each song title.

/kmc

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 05:24:17 pm »

kmc,

There is an option to 'Delete unselected files' which should not be on by default. The behavior you are describing is as if it is on.

In regards to the 667 files, what happens if you try to play or drag and drop a file which is not one of the 667?

In regards to the retransfer, look carefully at the Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track Number tags on the files that are being resent. Is the information on the files on Nomad as reported by MC identical the information on those tags as reported for the files in MC?

Steve

kcorbett

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 11:38:44 pm »

There is an option to 'Delete unselected files' which should not be on by default. The behavior you are describing is as if it is on.

No that option is not and was not selected.

In regards to the 667 files, what happens if you try to play or drag and drop a file which is not one of the 667?

Very interesting - I hadn't tried that. When I drag one file from my library on to the Nomad Jukebox window it shows "1 files - 31.3 GB available". When I click on Show List I see a listing of the 1178 files that resulted from my 2 syncs where each file is duplicated as "foo" and "foo(1)".

In regards to the retransfer, look carefully at the Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track Number tags on the files that are being resent. Is the information on the files on Nomad as reported by MC identical the information on those tags as reported for the files in MC?

Yes the tag info is identical.

As things stand I'm in a position where I can delete all the files on the handheld. If you want me to perform some tests just tell me what sequence of operations you want me to perform. 

/kmc

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 12:10:47 pm »

kmc,

If you can, remove all the files and then sync a playlist of 100 files. Resync and you should be able to verify that the files are not resent.

You mention that when you click on 'Show List' you see all the files on the Nomad. Is it still true that you do not see all the files when you click on the Nomad in the tree? If so, make sure that in the right click menu you have not selected 'Show Queued files Only'

Steve

kcorbett

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 09:54:51 pm »

If you can, remove all the files and then sync a playlist of 100 files. Resync and you should be able to verify that the files are not resent.

You mention that when you click on 'Show List' you see all the files on the Nomad. Is it still true that you do not see all the files when you click on the Nomad in the tree? If so, make sure that in the right click menu you have not selected 'Show Queued files Only'

After the sync operations I was able to see the files listed on the Nomad in the tree under devices.  Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

I selected all the files in the list and hit <Delete>. MC showed a dialogue indicating all 1179 files were being deleted. When that ended the files list shows 1178 Files Total as if one (1) file had been removed. But when I click on Albums Artists or Genres I see empty listings.

Next I clicked x to close the Nomad Jukebox action window. I got a prompt "Do you want to clear the queue?" so I said yes.

Next I selected all tracks again and hit <Delete>. That returned instantly but the files still appear.

I closed MC and opened Nomad Explorer which shows no files. I re-opened MC 11 and now the files list is empty.

/kmc

kcorbett

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 10:07:06 pm »

Now with 0 files on my Nomad I clicked on Synchronize. I de-selected Sync All Files and selected the smart-list for recently imported - last 100 tracks. I clicked on the button and MC started a transfer of 285 files. It complained about two tracks with duplicates and three times complained about download errors. The download errors were for HTTP streams. I can tell by the file names that the sync is not based on the 100 track smart list; although many of them are from CDs I ripped recently, others I ripped long ago. Looks like they may be coming from playlists which were left on the handheld. I'm deleting them now to give it another try from a clean slate.

/kmc

kcorbett

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 10:31:59 pm »

Looks like they may be coming from playlists which were left on the handheld. I'm deleting them now to give it another try from a clean slate.

Indeed the playlists were still selected, presumably a hold-over from the first sync. Seems like a bug to me. There should at least be a way to clear all the check-marks in the playlist selection box.

This time my initial sync from a playlist copied over the proper set of 275 files.

Unfortunately, the second sync (I didn't change options or playlist) is now copying over the same 275 files. So I think this is a reproducible bug.

/kmc

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 09:39:46 am »

There should at least be a way to clear all the check-marks in the playlist selection box.

There is. Right click in the Playlist tree in the action window and you will see an option for 'Select all' and 'Select none'.

Unfortunately, the second sync (I didn't change options or playlist) is now copying over the same 275 files. So I think this is a reproducible bug.

Are you sure it is the same files? Is this playlist a smartlist? If so, the files are generated randomly according to your rules each time and so the files can change.

kcorbett

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 10:09:57 pm »

There is. Right click in the Playlist tree in the action window and you will see an option for 'Select all' and 'Select none'.

Cool!

Are you sure it is the same files? Is this playlist a smartlist? If so, the files are generated randomly according to your rules each time and so the files can change.

No this is a static playlist I created by selecting 275 files and clicking on Send to playlist. The two times I ran sync resulted in a total of 550 files and each track is duplicated.

Any other suggestions I could try to get sync to work? Do you have enough information to diagnose the problem?

/kmc

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 06:55:27 pm »

kmc,

Zen does not typically allow duplicates to be copied even if you take MC out of the mix. Please try deleting both copies of one of the files from your sync from the Zen. Then, drag and drop it on the Zen and transfer the one file. Repeat and see if the file retransfers. Try this with 11.0.196

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up