INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does cancel not work when you import files?  (Read 1547 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Why does cancel not work when you import files?
« on: February 12, 2005, 05:38:57 am »

When importing files, the cancel button is not working. This was with MC 9, 10 and now with 11. Why have a cancel button if it doesn't work? A feature? ;)

Casperdog

• nothing more to say...
Re: Why does cancel not work when you import files?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 02:35:13 pm »

When importing files, the cancel button is not working. This was with MC 9, 10 and now with 11. Why have a cancel button if it doesn't work? A feature? ;)

When I was Importing files, the cancel button did not work for me either Saphno

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 04:52:03 am »

[/layman speaking] What can be so difficult about making the cancel button work...or remove it altogeher?[/] ;)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 07:01:36 pm »

One of the things that I really like about LisaRCT is her VERY dry sense of humor. Really.

What I have noticed about the actual subject is that pretty much NOTHING new can occur when in the middle of an Import. Oh, it will still play songs you have queued but you can't add any more until the import is finished.

I have also noticed that there was a superfluous "Cancel" button.

My response? Not much. Due to laziness, indifference or a combination of both, I merely stopped trying to use the cancel button or trying to do anything while an import was in progress.

Is that what YOU should do? Of course not. If everyone used MY method of Beta testing, we would still be on version 5.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 01:46:03 pm »

What can be so difficult about making the cancel button work...or remove it altogeher?

Actually, in defense of Matt and the gang, if you've ever tried to implement a "cancel task" button in a .NET language it is not always very easy to get it to work the way you want.  Not impossible, mind you, but also not super easy.  Especially if the task you want to cancel is running in a different thread from the GUI ...

That said.  Though with v11 it has become less important to me (because the import seems to run much more quickly), I agree that it seems very ... hmmm ... Microsoftian ... to have a non-working cancel button.  I agree that it should be fixed or removed before v11 goes final.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 02:40:00 pm »

Actually, in defense of Matt and the gang, if you've ever tried to implement a "cancel task" button in a .NET language it is not always very easy to get it to work the way you want.  Not impossible, mind you, but also not super easy.  Especially if the task you want to cancel is running in a different thread from the GUI ...

Out of curiosity, can you expand on this a bit more for me please.   I am considering delving in .NET but if you can't do something as simple as cancelling I won't bother and just stick to C++/Win32.

I would have thought it would be very easy as it is in Win32, e.g. process A creates an event and passes this into the new thread along with your usual thread specific data.   The new thread executes periodically checking to see if the event has been raised, if so then exit.   The main process raises the event when the user clicks on the cancel button.

Am I missing something, e.g. .NET can't pass parameters into threads / .NET can't create events?
Pages: [1]   Go Up