INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT -- Songs purchased from iTunes music store won't play on iPod  (Read 1537 times)

emeachum

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
OT -- Songs purchased from iTunes music store won't play on iPod
« on: February 13, 2005, 06:29:59 pm »

This is not a problem with MC, but I hope someone here might be able to help me. 

I use MC to sync songs to my iPod.  The songs that I've purchased from the iTunes Music Store, however, show up on the iPod but won't play.  The song information including the song length appears on the screen momentarily and then it skips to the next song without ever playing anything.  I don't have any trouble playing these songs on MC, just on my iPod.  I updated my iPod to the latest updater (2005-01-11) and completely reset my iPod afterward, but it didn't help.

Interestingly, my son is having the same issue with his iPod and the songs he's purchased from the iPod store, and we use different computers (and he syncs with the iTunes program not MC).

I've seen some people over at ipodlounge with this same issue, but no one seems to have found a solution.

I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

Otto

Re: OT -- Songs purchased from iTunes music store won't play on iPod
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 10:33:11 am »

1. Make sure you can play the purchased music using iTunes. On your computer. Just load up iTunes and try to play the music. If it plays, great. If not, then not as great. It should ask you to put in your username and password if it needs to authorize. After it authorizes and starts playing, then you're good.

2. Using iTunes, put at least one purchased song onto the iPod. You MUST use iTunes to do this. What this will do is to create a file on the iPod called "iSCInfo" or "iSCInfo2". This file contains the keys to allow the iPod to actually play your music, and only iTunes can put this file there. Without this file, purchased music will not play on the iPod.

3. Use Media Center or whatever program you like to put those M4P's onto the iPod now. They should play just fine.

As for your son, if he's syncing using iTunes then he needs to do step 1 and make sure that iTunes itself can play the songs. If iTunes can't play them, then the iPod won't be able to either. There's other issues that can cause song skipping as well though.. If he has a 4G iPod running firmware 3.0.2, then it can corrupt files when it goes into deep sleep mode (after 36 hours of inactivity) and this can cause it to be unable to play purchased music until you resync with iTunes. Right now, the only fix for that is to go back to firmware 3.0.1. There's other possibilities too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up