INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC fails to import its own MPL files if they are big  (Read 1483 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
MC fails to import its own MPL files if they are big
« on: March 01, 2005, 09:35:37 am »

I exported an MC library to xml format. I changed the file extension to mpl and tried to import it to a cleared library. The empty library had still all previous library fields present.

Here's the log:

Import started at 28.2.2005 21:29:47
JRiver Media Center 11.0.201 (registered)

****************************************************************************************************
Building list of folders to search (28.2.2005 21:29:47)
****************************************************************************************************
Include: C:\LIBWORK\MC Library.mpl
Exclude: E:\Test\testlib\Thumbnails\

Searching for new files (28.2.2005 21:29:47)
Found: C:\LIBWORK\MC Library.mpl

Importing new files (28.2.2005 21:29:47)
Adding: C:\LIBWORK\MC Library.mpl
    Failed to analyze / add

Finished (28.2.2005 21:29:47)
Import stopped at 28.2.2005 21:29:47

I tried importing with File>Import and also by right-clicking. At first I had only MPL selected in import file types, but I tried also with all file types selected. The MPL file has about 28,500 items and the file size is 28 MB. MC didn't even try to import the items one by one as you can see from the times in the log file.

Just to be sure I added all files to a playlist and exported the list in MPL format. The file was essentially indentical with the XML file (only the item order was different) and the import result was also identical.

I am not sure if this a bug or if I have misunderstood something. Is there a limit for the file size? It has worked recently with my CUE tracks MPL file. That file has about 1,000 items. I have used it for "moving" the CUE tracks.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: MC11 failed to import its own MPL file
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 12:06:25 pm »

I am not sure if this a bug or if I have misunderstood something. Is there a limit for the file size? It has worked recently with my CUE tracks MPL file. That file has about 1,000 items. I have used it for "moving" the CUE tracks.

You know, i *reallY* think they should fix moving items (with CUE tracks) within MC without having to resort to tricks.

I'm holding off on v11 till this is sorted out. A move is such a basic operation.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC fails to import its own MPL files if they are big
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 01:22:14 pm »

I imported successfully a smaller MPL file (a portion of the 28 MB file). That file has about 1800 items. Everything else was as before. It worked with MC 11.0.201 and 10.0.173 (MC10 couldn't import the big file either). So this seems to have a limit. What is the maximum size? Could it be possible to remove the limit?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 03:10:34 pm »

Bump

No answer to this. Is it a big bad bug?

I thought that XML/MPL was meant to be used also for importing the whole library. I have previously used it for searching and replacing all cover art links with an external application, though my library was smaller then.

I have also noticed that MC doesn't anymore honor the Date Imported field in MPL files. An MPL import checks unnecessary all imported files and replaces the "Date Imported" tags with the current date thus destroying the history. There should be a quick option that would just add the data in unaltered form without checking the physical files. If I remember correctly all data was preserved when I did it last time over a year ago.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 12:18:09 pm »

Bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up