INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which import method should I use?  (Read 1910 times)

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Which import method should I use?
« on: March 16, 2005, 11:21:15 pm »

I'm wondering if my recent problems with MC are caused partially by the frequent podcast imports I do.
There are four methods I know of to import new files into MC:

• Library/Import Media
  • mjextman.exe /import command line
  • mjextman.exe /silentimport command line
  • explorer shell extension context menu media center/import

I usually use the shell extension or mjextman.exe. Are all of these methods equivalent? Are they all recommended, safe methods to import a directory tree of a few hundred or a few thousand files into MC? Is there a preferred method? When importing, should I stop playing music?

Thanks.

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
Re: Which import method should I use?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 06:09:54 am »

I have always used just the Import Media function when new files are added to my media directories.

However, I am confused as to exactly how the import function should work.  When I select one of my import directories that has newly-added files, it reviews the whole directory and in many cases re-adds existing files.  Why is this?

Quite frequently also, I will get the "faile to import" message but when I browse the media library, they are there.

I have a library of over 20k files and, to me, this is the most frustrating issue that I have with MC 11.

Can anyone can shed some light on what I might be doing wrong?  Has anyone else had problems with this?

Thx.

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 06:14:43 am »

Forgot to mention:

Also occassional crashes during the import process, isually during the "adding to library" stage.  Just happened to me now as I was re-importing selected directories of my library after I had renamed the directories to shorten the lengths.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 08:20:02 am »

Can you associate the problems with a particular file type?

bc

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 09:23:45 am »

This is a really good question. I've been using MJ/MC for 3 years and I'm still confused about this issue.

I aggregate new music files in a temp folder. Before moving the files into the "My Music" folder and importing them to MC I like to check the tags, sometimes listen to the tracks and rate them.

I then use "Rename Files from Properties" where I have the base path set to the "My Music" directory and the file name set to my naming convention--[artist] - [name].

Usually the "Rename Files..." action succeeds in moving the selected file(s) from the temp folder to their permanent home in "My Music."

At that point I then import the files to MC from the "right click" menu options.

This usually works fine. However sometimes it doesn't work. The "Rename Files..." action fails to do anything--leaving the new files as they were in the temp folder.

I have never understood why this happens on occasion. Maybe a file is corrupted or not recognized by MC?

Is there a better system to do what I want?
bc

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 09:28:42 am »

I reverted back to .219 (uninstall of .220 leaving the libraries in place) after my import media problems, recreated all my libraries (20k files) and all seems to be working fine now.

With regards to you ?, no it didn't seem to be.  All files are either mp3, flac, or images only.  After two tries, it sometimes corrected itself, i.e. when it previously gave the error "failed to import xxx files", a rerun would process all without getting the message.  Strange.

Thx.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 09:44:42 am »

That it works with 219 and not 220 is probably just chance.  Try reinstalling 220 and importing again.

Try importing FLAC and MP3 separately to see if one has a problem.

MAPgeekdad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mets fan
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 09:53:24 am »

JH, all my FLACs are in a seperate directory from my mp3s.  I do the import on individuak directories, as it tends to have more problems if I run it on my entire library at one time.

Will try the upgrade again tomorrow.  It's getting late here.  Will report if any new info discovered.

Thx.
Pages: [1]   Go Up