INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Does Handheld Support Work in MC11.0.220?  (Read 2792 times)

IanG

• Citizen of the Universe
How Does Handheld Support Work in MC11.0.220?
« on: March 23, 2005, 06:42:31 am »

How is the new handheld support, introduced in 11.0.220,  supposed to work?  If I plug a flashdrive in, MC starts by assigning a name it picks up from the device.  After that it appears as an option in the handheld drop down selection, but I can't rename or delete it.   I can add it using the "configure remote and fixed drives" option, but now I've got the same device twice, with different names. 

When I switch on my printer (complete with card reader) MC asks if it's a camera or a handheld.  I close the popup without selecting either, but it's still listed as a handheld in the drop down selections.

Ian G.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New Handheld Support?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 07:04:59 am »

Steve's the expert on this, but I think it takes the name of the device by default.  You could probably change this name in Explorer. 

When you plug in a new drive, MC asks if you want to treat it as a music / media drive.  Your answer is used after that.  There is a reset in tools/options/handhelds.  This will go through the detection process again and should pick up the new name.

There is also a file call PDT.xml in the MC Data/Default Resources directory that controls MC's behavior.  I believe the name here must match.

IanG

Re: New Handheld Support?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 07:49:54 am »

Steve's the expert on this, but I think it takes the name of the device by default.  You could probably change this name in Explorer. 

That's not happening - the name seems to be hard coded in the device

There is a reset in tools/options/handhelds.  This will go through the detection process again and should pick up the new name.

That clears the list, but it doesn't change the behaviour - i.e. it still picks up the built in name.

I've just tried this on my new laptop (fresh install at 11.0.216) and the behaviour is much better* - this time it picked up the name I'd originaly used.  Adding a new device works as expected.  The only problem is that each device is listed twice in the drop down.

*  I spoke too soon!  MC consistently crashes within a few mins of plugging the device in!

Ian G.

SteveG

Re: How Does Handheld Support Work in MC11.0.220?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 05:22:35 pm »

Ian,

MC detects any devices that present themselves to your PC as WMDM devices. The name you see in the tree is the name that the device presents. If your device also presents itself as a removable or fixed drive, you can opt to name it whatever you want. In your case, if that is what you want to do, after the reset, when MC detects the device, say 'NO' to the question of whether you want MC to recognize it as a Portable device. Then, configure it yourself in the Handheld Options.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up