INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Help with TV splitter  (Read 3292 times)

mylkii

OT - Help with TV splitter
« on: April 02, 2005, 10:35:50 am »

Hello all, I just installed the AVerMedia UltraTV 1500 MCE and it works fine.  I need to know where to place the splitter.  My husband has the cable going through the VCR and he can record programs that way; so I placed the splitter between the VCR and TV antenna.  This only allows me to watch what he is watching so I can't change my channels.  He is at work, so I can't ask him.  Can you tell me where to place the splitter so I can watch what i want?

Thanx!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: help with splitter
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 10:41:21 am »

Split the signal before your husband.   ;D  (Before the VCR.)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: help with splitter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 10:48:53 am »

If it is a normal 3-way antenna cable splitter, there are only two places to try. The other one is between the wall socket and VCR. The result should be the same.

I suppose you can change the channels normally with TV. I don't understand how an antenna cable splitter can make the antenna signal different. It can reduce the signal quality a bit, but that's all.

Are you sure that you are not using a video connection cable (S-Video or Composite)?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: OT - Help with TV splitter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 10:53:09 am »

Are you sure that you are not using a video connection cable (S-Video or Composite)?

that would be best if the VCR and TV has it, I Know some of mine don't
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mylkii

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 02:26:13 pm »

i place the splitter between the wall and the cable box and it works but i don't get all the channels.  i figure i would need to place it after the cable box because it's digital and i will get all the channels then?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 09:15:34 pm »

i place the splitter between the wall and the cable box and it works but i don't get all the channels.  i figure i would need to place it after the cable box because it's digital and i will get all the channels then?
This way you get whatever the cable box is tuned to. That means you and your husband would watch the same channel.

In order for both of you to watch all possible channels, and watch different channels, you must have two cable boxes. Without a second cable box you will have to settle with either watching only basic cable channels on one branch (while the other branch can watch all channels), or watching the same channel your husband watches.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

mylkii

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 05:48:27 pm »

right now, i'm only getting analog channels.  if i get another box will it give me the digital ones as well?  maybe i have the connection wrong?  the cable is going through the tv port.  should it be s-video?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 08:29:08 pm »

right now, i'm only getting analog channels.  if i get another box will it give me the digital ones as well?  maybe i have the connection wrong?  the cable is going through the tv port.  should it be s-video?
I believe your TV card, AVerMedia UltraTV 1500 MCE, is an analog TV card. As such, it can only receive  analog TV signals. Digital cable TV signal must go through a cable box in order to be converted to analog signal, so it can be fed into TV set or VCR or, in your case, a TV card.

So it is like this:

Digital Signal -> Cable box converting it to analog signal -> TV card converting it back to digital so your computer can play/record it. It sounds backwards, but that is the only way. Your TV card is designed to receive only analog signal, and convert it to digital signal on a computer.

I am not aware of any TV card that can receive digital cable programming, but there are TV cards that can receive over-the-air HDTV signal.

Back to your situation, I believe that you will be able to receive digital channels independent of what your husband receives on his VCR once you have a second cable box. However you should ask your cable company about it.

You will not be able to switch channel using your AverMedia card. You switch channel using the cable box.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up