INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod sync question  (Read 2356 times)

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
iPod sync question
« on: April 05, 2005, 05:16:31 pm »

I recently upgraded to MC11, and was a bit surprised to see that the sync process is a bit slower / more cumbersome than in MC10.  Especially, the 'analyzing files' dialog box takes ages, especially for a large iPod!  Is this part totally necessary, and is there any plan to speed it up?

Having said all that, the actual firewire data transfer speed is at least 10% faster, which is great to see!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPod sync question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 01:00:09 pm »

The slowness in analyzing files is fixed in the next build. 

Thanks.

Steve

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 11:40:25 am »

Steve,

I still get the same problem with the latest build (233).  Even if I am only transferring 1 file,   I need to wait for the 'analysing' to count down through all the files on the iPod.  Is this supposed to happen, or have I maybe set something up wrongly?

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 12:09:39 pm »

Please clarify when you are seeing the 'Analyzing' message in 233. 

If you drop one track on the action bin does it still does the 'Analyzing' for a long time?

Steve

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 12:36:23 pm »

I just tried that, and no it just transfers immediately.  But the 'MB available' was incorrect - it showed the total size of the iPod, not taking into account what was already there.

When syncing with any playlists, then it does the whole 'analyzing countdown'.

Hope that helps!  Happy to try some more things if needed...

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 01:19:29 pm »

Mark,

It sounds like MC is confused as to what is on the iPod, or the database on the iPod is not reporting correctly what is on the iPod.  Try either reinitializing iPod and start over or do a right click on the iPod and select 'Rebuild database from iPod'. Analyzing should occur on any files that are going to be sent to iPod, but it should be much quicker than before. MC should will resend any files to iPod which do not have the same Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track number tag info as what it thinks is on iPod.

Steve

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 04:00:42 pm »

Steve,

I tried all your suggestions, including a complete software reset.  I then sync'ed 20 playlists, so there were about 1000 files on the iPod.  As soon as I do another sync, even with the same playlists selected, the 'Analysing files' still appears and counts down from 1000.

This is fine for 1000, but when the iPod is nearer full, it's over 5000 songs and even though the countdown isn't very slow, it's not super speedy either!  Or is that unavoidable?

Mark.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 04:38:15 am »

It's even worse in the latest build!  Opening the handhelds dialog sets off one analysis, and then another one happens after clicking sync...

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 07:34:17 pm »

Mark,

You have a couple of issues going here. First, get whatever build comes out Monday and that should address some issues (possibly all).

The main one that should not occur is that after a sync, if you go to sync the same tracks, there should be no analysis because there should be no files transferring unless the playlists are dynamic or you are seeing messages about tranferring duplicates.

If you have dynamic smartlists (meaning content that changes) then whatever new content is being sent will be analyzed. I think your problem will go away if you get Monday's build and reset  your Portables and then sync. Sorry for the trouble.

Steve

lOth

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 12:44:51 am »

If you have dynamic smartlists (meaning content that changes) then whatever new content is being sent will be analyzed

That's a bit of a pain. I've followed 'Larry's iPod notes' (http://www.jrmediacenter.com/Larry_Little_iPod_Management_MC.html) and thus, ALL my playlists are smartlists and quite a few of them are dynamic.

However, once auto-sync will 'sync data' (broken in 234), I don't see that I'll have to sync manually very often, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue anymore.

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 10:07:11 am »

Mark,

You have a couple of issues going here. First, get whatever build comes out Monday and that should address some issues (possibly all).

The main one that should not occur is that after a sync, if you go to sync the same tracks, there should be no analysis because there should be no files transferring unless the playlists are dynamic or you are seeing messages about tranferring duplicates.

If you have dynamic smartlists (meaning content that changes) then whatever new content is being sent will be analyzed. I think your problem will go away if you get Monday's build and reset  your Portables and then sync. Sorry for the trouble.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Really appreciate your time and effort here.  I'll check tonight and let you know how it goes!

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 11:04:21 am »

Steve,

I've still got problems...  I will explain exactly what happens during the sync process :

Problem 1

I started off with a re-initialized iPod.  Selected a few (static) playlists to sync (about 200 files), all the files were analyzed, transferred okay.  So far so good.

Quit MC, opened it again.  On selecting 'Handheld' from the action menu, the analyzing message appeared again, and analyzed all files on the iPod (should it do this?).  I selected a few extra playlists to sync, and when it started I was faced again with 'analyzing' for all files on iPod as well as those in the transfer queue.  Not so much of a problem with a few files, but very annoying with a nearly full iPod!

Problem 2

I sync'ed iPod, and before sync there was 35Gb free, and the 'amount after sync' was 30Gb.  Without closing MC, I then sync'ed again, and the 'amount remaining' went back up to 35Gb.  My guess is that the free space is only recorded during the first 'Initializing' message after opening MC, and anything after that is not updated.

I have the 'Delete not in sync' option selected, and I'm not using 'auto-sync' at all.

Hope this all makes sense.  It's sometimes hard to explain, so please let me know if more details would help.

Thanks,
Mark.

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 04:07:35 pm »

That's a bit of a pain.

Anytime new content is going to be sent, it should be analyzed to see if it is a valid file type and if it is valid file. The fact that they are smartlists or playlists or files that are dragged and dropped is irrelevant. If a file exists on the iPod, it will not be queued. If it is not on iPod it will (and should) be 'analyzed' in the sense that certain fundamental checks are performed before sending the file.

Mark,

In regards to problem 1.  'Analyzing' should only occur AFTER you hit transfer (or synchronize) and then should only occur in regards to new content being sent to your iPod.

In regards to problem 2, if you have 'delete not in sync' checked, MC is removing any files from  iPod that are not selected in your sync.  After a reinitialize, try syncing your one playlist of 200  files.  After it is done, sync again, there should be no reanalyze and no files transferred.

PS. Where to the 200 files physically exist? Are they on your PC?

MarkGrigsby

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 05:20:27 pm »

Steve,

Re 1) The 'analysing' problem is now better, in that it only happens one time (with the previous build it happened twice!).  However, it does NOT analyse only those files which will be transferred.  It is analysing both the pre-existing files on iPod, AND the new ones.

Re 2) I did as suggested.  Both times, all files were analyzed!

Yes, all 200 files are on my PC. Any thoughts?

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2005, 09:38:43 am »

Mark,

I responded in the other thread. Lest pursue this issue there.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up