INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to show itunes Grouping field?  (Read 5015 times)

stefand

How to show itunes Grouping field?
« on: July 10, 2006, 06:06:28 am »

Hi Folks.
I am a newbie, so please have a little patience with me.
I would like to show the field "Grouping" that I used in itunes.
The file is an mp3, and with MP3Tag program, I can see that the file contains an IDtag called "CONTENTGROUP" that contains that info.
How can I make that field show up in the list of available fields for the "Customize current view" command in a Standard view?

Thanks,
Stefan.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: How to show itunes Grouping field?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:00:37 am »

Apple uses the ID3v2 frame "TIT1 / Content group description" for its Grouping field. This ID3v2 field is not often used outside iTunes. I don't think it is supported in MC yet.

It is quite possible that JRiver adds support for TIT1. iTunes doesn't allow custom fields and often people use this "Grouping" field for additional information. Recently JRiver added support for several proprietary Music Match tags after that was requested here.

I see you have made a couple of excellent program choices - MC and Mp3tag. The freeware MP3tag editor is a good companion for MC because it can convert foreign tags to MC's native format.

For now, you can use the following procedure as a workaround. Mp3tag v. 2.36 or newer is needed.

1. Import the files to MC.

2. Make this new library field in "Options > Library > Library Fields > Add...":

Remember to enable the "Store in file tags (when possible)" option.

3. Add this new field to a view scheme:

4. Fill something in the "Content Group" column. This will make MC to write the tag to the files.

5. Close MC and open Mp3tag. Go to its options and configure MP3 tag writing as follows (the ISO-8859-1 tag format is needed for compatibility with MC) :

6. Load the MP3 files to Mp3tag and check that it can see both tags (iTunes' CONTENTGROUP and MC's COMMENT MEDIA JUKEBOX: CONTENT GROUP).

7. Make a new Action for copying the CONTENTGROUP tag values to the COMMENT MEDIA JUKEBOX: CONTENT GROUP tag:

8. Run the action on the files

9. Close Mp3tag and open MC. Use the library tool "Update Library (from tags)" for getting the info inside MC's library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

stefand

Re: How to show itunes Grouping field?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:37:46 am »

Thank you for your elaborate answer Alex.
I will give that a whirl.
Stefan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up