INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rhapsody/Real Update April 26th  (Read 5795 times)

skeeterfood

• Citizen of the Universe
  • We're all just food for the skeeters.
Rhapsody/Real Update April 26th
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:43:05 pm »

Not sure what this means, but I'll guess it comes with a rate hike...  :(

Too bad I don't live in New York!  Well, at least for a day...

Dear Rhapsody Customer,

Remember when the Internet was silent? It’s hard to believe it was just 10 years ago when we introduced RealAudio® and brought real-time audio to the Internet for the first time.

I’m writing to thank you for subscribing to Rhapsody®, our flagship music subscription service, and the #1 music subscription service on the Internet. We know how much you love Rhapsody. Collectively, you and your fellow subscribers used Rhapsody to listen to over 100 million songs in March. We appreciate your support. It makes all those late nights building and improving Rhapsody worthwhile.

I also want to share some exciting news with you. On April 26, we are taking Rhapsody and digital music to the next level. I can’t say more now, but I do encourage you to visit www.real.com on the 26th to learn more. If you’d like to sign up to be automatically notified via email to hear the exciting news, click here

To celebrate, we’re holding a free concert that evening at 8 p.m. (ET) at the legendary Radio City Music Hall in New York City, featuring multi-platinum artist (and perennial Rhapsody favorite) Good Charlotte.

In addition, we have a very special treat for 500 of our New York area Rhapsody subscribers: tickets to the actual concert at the legendary Radio City Music Hall. If you’re interested, simply print out this email and bring it, along with your Rhapsody login ID and Password, to the Hilton Hotel, Concourse Room C, at 1335 Avenue of the Americas in New York City, on Saturday, April 23rd between 12 - 6pm. The first 500 Rhapsody subscribers to appear in person at the hotel with a copy of this email and a valid Rhapsody ID will each receive two free tickets to the show. First come, first served, only 1 pair of free tickets per subscriber.

On April 26, we will revolutionize digital music…and you will experience music in ways never before possible. Stay tuned.

Yours,

Rob Glaser
Founder & CEO, RealNetworks, Inc.

-John

Omni

Re: Rhapsody/Real Update April 26th
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 06:36:32 am »

I don't know, but what scares me even more is knowing that some bellhop at the Hilton Hotel is going to have access to my and everyone else's login and password info!!  :o

Excuse me while I quickly go cancel my Rhapsody subscription...  ::) 8)

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 01:10:06 am »

I'm guessing that they are going to announce that Rhapsody will now support transfer to portable devices, just like Napster To Go.  That will certainly be the death of Napster.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 07:09:43 am »

I'm guessing that they are going to announce that Rhapsody will now support transfer to portable devices, just like Napster To Go.  That will certainly be the death of Napster.
A reasonable guess.  Napster is losing almost $1 for every $ of sales they have, so it shouldn't take too long.

skeeterfood

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 12:32:16 pm »

What would be even better is if I could download the songs (with DRM of some kind of course) to my machine and use MC to manage and play them!  Even better if MC's plugin would handle the browsing/searching and downloading for me :)

-John

Omni

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 02:07:44 am »

A reasonable guess.

Maybe, but then how would that "revolutionize digital music" and allow us to "experience music in ways never before possible" if it is already being done by Napster?  ;)

skeeterfood

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 04:38:05 pm »

Looks like Galley was right.

Rhapsody To Go (Note: this only seems to work from PCs.  From anyting else it just takes you the RealPlayer 10 homepage)

They also released new version of the Rhapsody software that can now play CDs and a limited range of audio file formats from your local PC and integrates with their online Music Store allowing you to purchase and download tracks/albums that aren't available for streaming.  It's still not as nice as MC, but it's a WHOLE lot better than it used to be.

It also sounds like if you're on XP (can't tell for sure till I get home since my work machine is win2k), you can download tracks to up to 3 machines instead of streaming and the license is good for 30 days and renewable when you sign back into Rhapsody...  This may require a Rhapsody To Go subscription, but I can't tell from the helpfile.

Oh, and no rate changes (unless you want to upgrade to Rhapsody To Go)...  Actually, I now get the option to pay quarterly for $1.00 off/month!

-John

Omni

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 07:07:03 pm »

Oh, and no rate changes (unless you want to upgrade to Rhapsody To Go)... 

Could you (or someone else) confirm something for me?

I've been a subscriber ($9.95/month) to Rhapsody for a couple of years now.  Currently, I'm getting both the standard streaming stuff and also the radio stuff (and yes, commercial free).  Looking at their web page, though, it seems like they have now split this into two separate services:  Rhapsody Radio and Rhapsody Unlimited.

My question is if I update my S/W (after the 26th, it's been telling me there's an update available, so I doubt this is a coincidence), am I'm going to lose my radio service (or have to pay extra for it)?  (If so, I'm not updating it EVER. :P)

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 08:11:50 pm »

I've been a subscriber ($9.95/month) to Rhapsody for a couple of years now.  Currently, I'm getting both the standard streaming stuff and also the radio stuff  ...

Me, too.

I upgraded to Rhapsody 3.0 and it's better than version 2 IMO.

More versatile. As far as I can see, there has been nothing taken away but there have been a few features added.

The radio stations work just fine, even the "premium" ones.

I'm satisfied.

A word of caution: Version 3 won't work on Win 98. It does work on 98SE, though.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Omni

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 09:29:51 pm »

Thanks, Charlemagne!

Based on your endorsement and assurances, I just upgraded to the new version.

Other than the new skin, everything seems to be the same... which is good. :)

I wonder if they finally fixed the repeat bug where the first track would be played twice starting from the second pass onwards.  :)

DjSmooth

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 04:43:33 pm »

Well, I'm not sure where you're hailing from, but here in New York we can already transfer music to our portables.

DjSmooth

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 04:47:11 pm »

What would be even better is if I could download the songs (with DRM of some kind of course) to my machine and use MC to manage and play them!  Even better if MC's plugin would handle the browsing/searching and downloading for me :)

-John

You can do that, my defaut "My Music" folder is only for Downloaded music from Rhapsody and MC plays and mixes them well, and as you know they are DRM, I may not be able to burn a disc with MC, but it is still possible with say  8) another little popular player.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 04:55:54 pm »

Just to warn you DjSmooth
You've just replied to a post thats almost 1 year old!

DjSmooth

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 05:04:43 pm »

Just to warn you DjSmooth
You've just replied to a post thats almost 1 year old!

Well, there ya go  ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up