INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuild datqabase from iPod doesn't work  (Read 1981 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Rebuild datqabase from iPod doesn't work
« on: April 27, 2005, 11:04:18 am »

Whenever I use this function, it erases all my playlist info, which I know it's supposed to, but it doesn't rebuild the database either.  When I go to re-snych to get the playlists back, it tells me I'm 37gb over capacity, and the only way to remedy the situation is to initialize and re0synch again, which takes 2 hours.

Please either fix this, or remove it.  As it is now, it serves no purpose, other than to annoy me.  (Maybe that's the point ?)

Thanks.
pretend this is something funny

SteveG

Re: Rebuild datqabase from iPod doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 05:05:19 pm »

Justin,

Have you written your tag info to your files? During the rebuild database MC analyzes the files to retrieve the matching information for the Name, Artist, Album, Genre, and Track Number. If that data is not in the tag, then MC will not know the file should be left on the iPod and if you have 'Delete unselected files' checked, the file will be removed.

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:22:08 am »

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

No, i donīt have the tags written to the files (at least I donīt think I do), since itīs only a temporary situation with the files.

However, MC doesnīt delete the files from the iPod, it just ignores them as files, and leaves me no space to add them.

Is there any way to force MC to update all the tags in the files, all in one shot?

Thanks again!!

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 02:41:33 pm »

However, MC doesnīt delete the files from the iPod, it just ignores them as files, and leaves me no space to add them.

I presume it does not delete them because you do not have 'Delete unselected files' checked.

If you do a rebuild database, MC will analyze the files. If the tags are different than what is in the MC library, MC will delete the files (if that option is checked) or send the files again as if they are not already there (because they aren't as far as MC is concerned because they have a different ID based on the Name/Artist/Album/Genre/Track # ID.

Is there any way to force MC to update all the tags in the files, all in one shot?

Yes, you could import them into MC and then do an update file from tags. I do not recommend this unless you think through the ramifications of what you are doing and why.

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 05:18:00 pm »

Nope.  Iīve tried to rebuild from iPod on a few different computers while in Mexico, and everytime (except once after freshly installing a new build) it just analyzes files (I think) then shows no files on the iPod, but all the files are there.  After this, there is no longer room for more files and I have to initialize to clear the space.

I DO have delete unselected files checked, but it makes no difference with this operation.  It works fine when Iīm synching, but seems to make no difference with the rebuild operation.

The last time I used this option, it was because when synching, the computer crashed (not MC related) before MC could update the iPod with the files that had been sent.  I was hoping the rebuild would find the orphaned files that had been sent, but it resulted in no files being found, and I had to initialize and start over.

If there is anything else I can do to help troubleshoot, Iīll be happy to.  However, Iīm not at the computer that had the recent problems.

One last thing, like I said above it worked once for me, just after installing a new update (about 2 months ago), but has not worked on about 5 other different occasions.

Thanks again, and if itīs not something you have time to work on right now, I understand.  Iīll just be sure not to use it until I hear otherwise.

Thanks Steve, keep up th good work!

PS  Think Dynamic Playlists ;D

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 08:57:36 am »

Justin,

I haven't had other reports of this. If you want to troubleshoot it, you could try reinitializing. Sync a small set of files (10) take note of the filepaths  and then do the rebuild and see if it works.  If the files are not shown by MC, verify that the files are at the locations where they should be and that they are named correctly.

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 05:19:20 pm »

I'm leaving Cuernavaca sometime this week. :'(

I don't want to initialize and risk not being able to get my music back on my iPod for the long trip to Canada, so I'll have to try to look at this later.

I'll probably be stopping in Omaha to visit some friends and family fora  few weeks.  I will hopefully have time to get MC on a machine and get my original music files put on the machine also.  If I can get it all squared away, I'll try to test this out.

Thanks Steve

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 09:41:13 am »

Sounds good. Pick me up some tequilla before you leave ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up