INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.265 Release Candidate  (Read 6096 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.265 Release Candidate
« on: May 12, 2005, 04:11:18 pm »

We're just about ready to release Media Center 11.0.  We appreciate your bug reports.  PRICES are here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23311  Please post bugs you're sure about here.  Post anything else in a new thread with a subject like "MC11 problem with ..." or "MC11 question about ....".    Feature requests should be postponed until we've finished 11.0.  

Media Center 11 is available here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter110265.exe

11.0.265 (5/12/05)

1. Changed: MC handles multimedia volume / mute keys when possible. (then works with internal volume and more keyboards)
2. Fixed: MC would not catch multimedia keys when not in Standard View with some remotes and keyboards.
3. Changed: Improved ATI Remote Wonder compatibility. (program still needs to be in the foreground due to ATI's architecture)
4. Changed: Tooltips do a better job of not going off the screen on small displays.
5. Fixed: Edit controls in a few places (view headers, etc.) could be incorrectly colored. (introduced in 264)
6. Changed: Library browser works better with large font selections.
7. Changed: Media Center displays a warning when choosing an oversized font that some items may not look as nice.
8. Fixed: Folder browsing on Windows 9x would show a partially obscured status text line.
9. Changed: Added an anti-repeat to the multimedia key handler.
10. Changed: Escaped search characters would not be unescaped when showing "friendly" text in the search box. (so you'd see "Artist: AC//DC" instead of "Artist: AC/DC")
11. Fixed: When switching between from G-Force to Cover Art, the art could fail to show in some cases. (hopefully fixed -- please let us know)
12. Fixed: When playing movies (DirectX player), the fullscreen bars would not redraw properly when switching videos.
13. Fixed: Some list icons could look slightly fuzzy.
14. Fixed: Pressing the "Play" button in a view header could cause a crash if the play automatically switched views.
15. NEW: Added support for RAW images (crw,cr2,nef,mrw,orf,raf,pef).
16. Fixed: Import could crash when "Retrieve album art" was selected. (introduced with new import system in 264)
17. Fixed: The installer was having trouble replacing some 'in use' files from previous installations.
18. Changed: CD write speed selection now has a "Max" option to always select the maximum write speed.
19. Fixed: The available CD/DVD writing speeds did not dynamically reflect media changes with different speed capabilities.
20. Changed: iPod filenames will be acceptable up until exactly 50 characters.

11.0.264 (5/11/05)

1. NEW: Import / update library runs in the background so MC can be used for other tasks while it is running.
2. Changed: Library Manager > Library Properties dialog browse defaults to a more logical directory. (instead of the root of My Computer)
3. Changed: Updated all folder browsing dialogs to use the latest browsing system available in the OS.
4. Fixed: Some tooltips were still using system colors instead of skin colors.
5. Changed: Move / Copy disk files broken into two separate menu commands.
6. NEW: When Logitech iTouch is installed, MC will automatically integrate into it. (may require latest iTouch to be installed)
7. NEW: MC responds to multimedia app commands from remotes, non-standard keyboards, etc. (like v10 did, but maintains v11's superior handling with standard keyboards)
8. Fixed: Closing the program with File > Exit could cause problems in some cases.
9. Fixed: In "Customize Current View" the edit / remove column buttons would always operate on the first list item.
10. Fixed: When switching between some playback types (ex. Shockwave to Real Audio), the display would not always update properly.
11. Fixed: Portable drives that appear as fixed drives will detect device arrival and removal from MC.
12. Fixed: TV time-shifting could behave badly under some circumstances, for devices using MPEG-2 format.
13. Changed: After file deletion on WMDM devices, devices will clean up any empty Artist or Album objects.
14. Changed: The uninstall program does a more thorough job of removing files and registry entries and no longer requires a restart of Windows to do so.
15. Fixed: Multi-session data CD's burned with MC could appear to be missing files in some cases. The data was there but the OS couldn't see it.
16. Fixed: When changing the folder scheme for burning data CD's, unless the queued files were displayed, the change would not take effect on the first burn.
17. Fixed: Library Server was ignoring requested codec, instead using it's own default codec.
18. Changed: Improved shutdown, load library, and clear library logic so they won't be allowed while a tool is running. (import, rip, burn, etc.)

MC 11 Improvements

CUE file playback support with sample-accurate MP3 seeking
Many Theater View enhancements
Split views so you can look at two (or more) views at the same time (ex. look at Media Library and Playing Now together)
Vastly improved database engine capable of handling 100,000's of files and large amounts of metadata (lyrics, bios, etc.)
Several memory and speed enhancements -- like database and skin unloading when minimizing MC
Much of MC's interface can be translated to other languages
Integrated database import and update with smart broken linking repairing, and other nice features
MC can run with guest permissions on Windows 2000 / Windows XP
New view customization system with more flexibility for thumbnail size, text, etc.
Options dialogs reworked -- several small options added
Added multi-zone synchronization
Added Album Gain support
Document support with full text searching / indexing
Pane auto-sizing
Tile view that allows fully customizable Track Info style tiles to be used in file lists
New database caching layer that makes a huge speed difference in many areas of MC
File tagging happens in a background thread so MC can continue to be used while it's saving tags
Basic image editing
Enhanced album grouping for pictures so pictures taken together get grouped without any user intervention
Preview mode to only play the intro of songs
Video CD playback support
Audio resampling uses Shibatch's high-quality SSRC filters
ATI HDTV card support
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150 support
UPnP device support
Audible.com Store -- full integration (downloads, playback, bookmarks, etc.)
Sony PSP support
iPod -- Support for multiple iPods with different profiles
New file format -- Shockwave (SWF)
RAW image support (crw,cr2,nef,mrw,orf,raf,pef)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lOth

Re: Media Center 11.0.265 Release Candidate
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 04:20:37 pm »

20. Changed: iPod filenames will be acceptable up until exactly 50 characters.

What's supposed to happen then when you transfer a song whose filename is more than 50 characters long?

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 04:22:22 pm »

With Action Windows > File Properties > Image active (displayed), when you right click on any track or thumbnail in the context window MC cancels the right-click menu popup if Image needs to draw/dispaly an image (album cover).

This is annoying behaviour.  This does not happen if the correct image is already displayed. As is, you always have to right-click twice when the Image window wants to display the album cover art.  Try browsing the full Media Library and right-clicking on any track with Image enabled (assuming you have cover art tied to all your albums/tracks).

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 04:27:55 pm »

thanks for fixing the import bug!!

I have a quick feature request to make.  I think it would be simple, but if it isn't then forget about it.

With the new nVidia drivers, you can have directx fullscreen put on a separate screen.  This way, you can watch your movie or whatever and continue doing what you were doing on your computer monitor (or primary or wahtever).  In mediacenter, when you minimize, playback stops.  Also, if you aren't in fullscreen mode, the screensaver will come on (which messes with the fullscreen mode).  I was wondering if you guys could at least put in an option to continue video playback when minimized, and to stop the screensaver when video playback occurs.

Thanks!
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

NumberEleventeen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 04:34:48 pm »

Multimedia Key problems:
Keyboard: MS Multimedia Natural, Intellipoint 5, Driver is comming to all MS keyboards so the same should apply to all.

A while ago all the keys worked fine, play/pause, stop, voulme, mute, prev, next and media button would start/minimize the player. It fact they worked fine with pretty much all media players with no driver background app even running, built in common function I guess.

Tho recently I did have a problem, the media key would start my default media player, as designated in Program Access and Defaults, not Media Center never had an entry, but I never installed any other players so it was the default. Now i have realplayer.. So it's the default.. And not possible to change it back as theres is no entry in access and defaults control panel. (XP SP2)

I checked around and I think you need to add a key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Media\
I played around in there and had it working semi right.
There is a workaround for this, setting the .exe staticly to the button.. But that requires MS's driver point32.exe loaded, waste of memory.

Last version had a problem where the button would register twice, so play plause did nothing and track next woudl skip too many.. This seems fixed.. But the program now ignores my settings, if I disable the play/pause key for example, it still works.

Volume keys/mute now raise/lower system volume + media center volume, which seems to be somewhat undesireable.

UnknownID

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 04:36:48 pm »

13. Fixed: Some list icons could look slightly fuzzy.
Along the same lines, the preview image for the skins in the Skin Manager is showing the TheSkin images a little fuzzy.

UnknownID

NumberEleventeen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 04:40:51 pm »

Bigger problem:
If player is muted and system isn't.. Hitting the keyboard mute key will unmute system and mute the player or vice versa.. You'll never hear anything heh.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 05:02:34 pm »

Ok ... Now I'm happy!   ;D

1. Changed: MC handles multimedia volume / mute keys when possible. (then works with internal volume and more keyboards)
2. Fixed: MC would not catch multimedia keys when not in Standard View with some remotes and keyboards.
9. Changed: Added an anti-repeat to the multimedia key handler.

Works great!  Haven't tested with my Microsoft keyboard yet, but the volume is working with and the RW is catching even in Full Screen.  I imagine even if the underlying problem is still there with the MS keyboard, your anti-repeat will fix it.  Good thinking...

As far as the volume ... I'm happy.  It controls the system volume, which is how I prefer it (I hate having 3 million different volume controls) though I know some people have to use internal volume for multi-zone...

3. Changed: Improved ATI Remote Wonder compatibility. (program still needs to be in the foreground due to ATI's architecture)

This is working perfectly for me so far!  Great job and thank you very much!  Foreground only is just how I'd like it to work (otherwise it would conflict with the other apps I use it for).

Dang Tom!  He's all like, "Tina, come get your Raw!"  Excellent, excellent.  (And it even includes both Canon raw formats ... Swanky!)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 05:07:51 pm »

Using Logitech Cordless Desktop MX. Multimedia Key were working fine in 11.0.264 but they don't work with .265. I'm using newest iTouch software...

IanG

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 05:24:50 pm »

The raf support works a treat - thanks!

Ian G.

modelmaker

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 05:40:26 pm »

Just installed 265.

Here's the ATI RW update:

Vol/mute works in all views again.

Player controls still do not work in Fullscreen, Windowed & Theater Views. They do work in Standard View now.

Getting closer!! :)
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 05:43:49 pm »

Just a note that we will get the multimedia keys working for (most) everyone eventually.  It's a messy area, so we may end up needing to make an option for how MC catches them.

Thanks for the patience.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 05:49:40 pm »

why is that there are less strings used from the langauge file? there is stuff in english that was in german in build 230
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 05:52:41 pm »

11. Fixed: When switching between from G-Force to Cover Art, the art could fail to show in some cases. (hopefully fixed -- please let us know)

Yes, it works nicely now. Thank you!

coolblue

• World Citizen
  • "You're soaking in it!"
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 06:05:30 pm »

14. Fixed: Pressing the "Play" button in a view header could cause a crash if the play automatically switched views.

Yes!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 06:08:04 pm »

Just a note that we will get the multimedia keys working for (most) everyone eventually.  It's a messy area, so we may end up needing to make an option for how MC catches them.

Thanks for the assurance on that, Matt.  While you actually have made the controls perfect for me with this build, I'm sure others who are having a little less luck appreciate that.  BTW, I did test my MS Keyboard (which does have IntelliType installed -- v5.20.413.0) and the "double activation" is indeed solved.

I had no idea that there were no standards where this was concerned!  I figured that back when I got my first Logitech Wireless keyboard this would have been an issue, but I assumed it would have been at least somewhat solved by now.  What a pain in the...

This WFM too.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

coolblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 06:18:56 pm »

There's now a weird tracking problem between the volume control in MC and the volume up/down keys on my Microsoft keyboard. If MC is set to "System Volume" then things work as you would expect; however, that is not my standard setup.

In "Internal Volume" mode things get funky. Sometimes when I start MC the volume will show as Mute (with no slider), but without warning it will switch to tracking the system volume, however not 1:1 (e.g., on the keyboard I can set the volume to 0 but MC will have the slider @ ~ 75%). Once this behavior starts I can restart MC without that weirdness going away, but then suddenly it will return to its "Mute" status. I've seen this happen 2x but cannot be any more specific than this right now.

FWIW, my MS keyboard has *always* worked fine with MC, without - it seems - any intervention. Is it possible to simply make the new keyboard handling code step out of the way if it detects a MS keyboard?

(I'm running the latest version of the Intellitype Pro software: 5.2)

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 07:01:16 pm »

New
Logitech Cordless MX keyboard no longer works with MC.

Changed: Library browser works better with large font selections.

Confirmed.

Persists:

Changing thumbnail size and spacing in Library Browser does not work.

Slowless of tree expansion in Move file dialog.  This worked so much quicker before the Move and Copy functions were separated.  As it exists, I'm forced to move my files using Windows Explorer and then importing them into MC. 

jgreen

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 07:10:45 pm »

MC 11.0.265--MS Multimedia Keyboard buttons only control MC when MC is the active window.  This was NOT the case with MC11.0.264 , nor with MC 10x

coolblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 07:20:45 pm »

MC 11.0.265--MS Multimedia Keyboard buttons only control MC when MC is the active window.  This was NOT the case with MC11.0.264 , nor with MC 10x

That is not what I am seeing. I have the MS Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard and the Intellitype Pro 5.2 drivers. Other than the volume weirdness I mentioned above things are good. With my browser window in the foreground I can control MC in Standard, Mini and Windowed views.

What other details can you provide?

jgreen

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 07:32:27 pm »

Coolblue--
If there is a pref within MC for accepting input only if active, then assume I bumped it with my elbow and tell me how to correct it.  Otherwise, the issue may be my rev of intellitype pro--2.2, which I guess dates to the pror millenium.  It a microsoft multimedia keyboard 1.0a, which logs in hardware as a microsoft natural ps/2.  Running win2k sp4.  Thanks.

jgreen

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 08:00:38 pm »

Upgraded to 5.2 drivers and problem went away.  Sorry, guys.

LonWar

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2005, 08:05:32 pm »

New
Logitech Cordless MX keyboard no longer works with MC.

Confirmed.

Confirmed x 2

;D
-

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 09:51:03 pm »

my itouch stopped working again!  i'm guessing it prolly happened when you guys were coding it in for the theater view, but it's broken everywhere now.

good luck and thanks for all the work so far.
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

modelmaker

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 10:42:09 pm »

One of the minor irritants:

When I'm viewing Playing Now on my monitor (Display 1) and switch to Theater View (sending it to Display 2 - my TV), the view on my monitor switches to Audio (media library). Is this correct behaviour?
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 12:30:15 am »

Copied this from the 264 thread:

Synchronizing to an external drive (but probably also a handheld) changes the 'last changed date' of the file to the moment of sync.

Is that by design or a bug?

I hope it is a bug, so it can be fixed   ;)

Peter
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 02:43:21 am »

Since this release the special keys on my logitech keyboard no longer work.   I don't use logitech iTouch software but prior to this some keys like Home and Favourites would still work.  Now they don't unless I take focus away from MC.
JLee

simon.windisch

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2005, 04:23:52 am »

Hi

Replying from another thread where I said that MC11 did not keep the smartlists created in MC10.

After reinstalling MC10 in order to create a library backup to send to J River, I tried importing the backed up library into  MC11 and it worked.

I think the problem was that MC11 installs into "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11" and MC10 into "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center" so MC11 missed MC10's library.

Thanks - Simon

P.S Great product. I recommend it to everyone.

David_1cog

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2005, 07:18:08 am »

Options ... Playback ... Stop: Fadeout (fast / normal / slow)

None of these options really fadeout, they just go a little quieter (fast, normal or slow) and then cut-off.

SteveG

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 08:31:22 am »

IOth,

The filename will be truncated on iPod to 50 characters. This has been happening for a while but it was truncating to 47 characters. No problems should arise as a result.

Steve

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2005, 09:21:53 am »

The functions

Screen Grab to File
Use Screen Grab for Thumbnail

are times available with WMV/AVI playback and times are not available them.
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 10:34:25 am »

Selection remains after Delete problem still exists.

Read about it HERE.

edbro

Help Button in Handheld Options
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »

The Help button in the Handheld Options does not call up help. It doesn't seem to do anything.

What exactly does "convert if necessary" mean? What constitutes necessary? Does same filetype but different bitrate warrant conversion? Or, is the same as the old wording of "Skip same filetype"?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 12:15:57 pm »

• When trying to transfer new audible files to the ipod MC gives a message saying files not supported and cant send them
  • MC is confusing Cover art for audible files. It seems to be randomly assigning cover art from other audible files to each other and this changes over time
  • when synching ipod playlists the text is cut off at the bottom of the the message window so that you cant see which playlists are being sent.

SteveG

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 01:28:52 pm »

Peter,

MC is now modified to preserve the date modified of the old file.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 02:02:28 pm »

edbro,

Help link is fixed tonight. Convert if necessary means the file will be converted if it is not of the same filetype as the selected encoder. Same filetype but different bitrate will not convert. More flexibility for this is planned after the release of 11.

park,

What is the filepath for an Audible file that is giving the unsupported file type message?

Edit - The playlist name cutoff is fixed tonight.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 03:42:10 pm »

YADB look-up fails completely when trying to rip two CD's simultaniously. Is just getting in a loop of trying to look up info and never returns back. Happened numerous times now.

B

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2005, 03:55:54 pm »

Since you are near to release I ought to mention this one.  I think it really needs fixing.

If you press stop so a track is not actually playing you cannot move through the playing now list with next / previous.  You have to start playback, otherwise nothing happens.
JLee
Pages: [1]   Go Up