INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder on handhelds customization  (Read 1633 times)

raistlin2k

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Folder on handhelds customization
« on: May 26, 2005, 05:57:50 am »

Hi everybody,

I own an Nex IA which is quite handy using CF-Cards just like my photo-camera.

But it has one problem: it doesn't browse music by tags ut just by folders & files.
And it allows only 70 files in one folder.

So syncing music from MC to my Nex IA (512 MB) I cannot use all of the space because I can only browse the first 70 songs, the rest is hidden, moreover it is quite hard to browse files when they are all in one list.

Would it be possible to allow creation of folder follwing folder rules just like the CD-burner-plugin??

That would really solve all my problems with my Nex..

Thanks for help
Raist

raistlin2k

• Junior Woodchuck
Folder on handhelds customization
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 06:18:19 am »

Sorry, Just noticed that this feature is available but very hidden in the context menu of the handheld in the tree, perhaps add it to the handheld options or directly to the handheld action window?

Also, more customization would be very nice: Perhaps let the user define folders using same templates as in "file location" options?

And for the "Use filename path" option currently available, it would be very very nice to allow the user to select how many subfolders of the path should be used (like in a combo-box)
Scenario: On my HD soundtracks are sorted using [genre]\[Album], albums by one interpret are using [genre]\[Artist]-[Album], this allow very good sorting of my music (that's why I love MC  ;) )
Now using filename path, I get this genre folders also on my handheld so I have to browse much more around. But since I can upload only ~ 5 CDs to my handheld, I wouldn't need the genre folder there, [Album] or [artist-album] would be enough, so just one level of the path should be used.

I really think that the "use filename path" is the way to go for user who already have a well sorted music collection on their HD, without this feature I would have to upload albums & soundtracks in two steps and switch upload folder rules between the two uploads. Just this filename path level selection is missing to me.

Thanks Raist

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Folder on handhelds customization
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 01:13:54 pm »

Raist,

Your ideas are good. We can work toward this in MC 12.

Thanks,

Steve

raistlin2k

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 03:23:14 pm »

Thanks for reply,

Is it really such a big deal to move this towards version 12? Especially the limitation of path levels for "use filename path" should be quite easy to achieve, I guess.

And leaving the folder creation settings hidden in the contextmenu instead of placing it in the handheld options page gives version 11 the feeling of an unfinished product.

At the current state, the folder creation function isn't even in the manual!!

Just what I think
Raist

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 11:57:25 am »

Raist,

We are not going to change these at this time.

And leaving the folder creation settings hidden in the contextmenu instead of placing it in the handheld options page gives version 11 the feeling of an unfinished product.

These are not on the Options page, because they are only relevant for a small subset of the devices we support. The Options page is for generic options that are applicable to all devices.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up