INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADMIN: Need to purchase MC11 upgrade direct  (Read 4289 times)

JONCAT

ADMIN: Need to purchase MC11 upgrade direct
« on: May 26, 2005, 04:42:01 pm »

Can someone please adivse me how to purchase an MC11 upgrade? I have the uninstalled and re-installed MC11 but it says my trial is up so I can't upgrade. I have manually removed registry keys as well to no avail. I would like to Paypal 10$ upgrade fee and recieve the MC11 key.

Please advise.

Jonathan Catuccio
doctorcilantro@yahoo . c om

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: ADMIN: Need to purchase MC11 upgrade direct
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 04:45:34 pm »

Do you have MC 10 installed and registered? If so, then you should be able to install 11 and goto buy through the help,

If you don't have MC10 installed, you will need to install that and registet it first
-

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:49:26 pm »

MC10 was installed. I removed both but I am locked out of MC11.

JC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 05:06:47 pm »

Check the first window that comes up when you try to start MC11. There should be a buy button.

Edit

If you have messed with the registry it is possible that you will not get the upgrade price. In that case you must first install MC10 again and register it. You can can remove MC10 after that, but use its own uninstaller.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 05:34:14 pm »

I removed both but I am locked out of MC11

You Must Do As imjustagamer Said
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 05:53:54 pm »

If MC10 is already installed, can I uninstall it, then install MC11, and still get the upgrade price?  Or, do I need to install MC11 with MC10 still on the system in order to get the upgrade price?  I don't want to end up with multiple installations of MC -- I just want the cleanest installation of MC11 possible, but I'd still like to take advantage of the upgrade price.

Thanks,

Larry

LonWar

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 06:03:25 pm »

You MUST have 10 installed and registered, Then install 11, buy and register.... Then you can remove 10
-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 06:24:00 pm »

As far as I know MC10 is not needed, only the registration. MC10 wasn't needed a few months ago. I don't think JRiver has changed that. The uninstaller doesn't wipe the registration history. My system has currently MJ8, MC10 and MC11 registrations, but I have only MC11 installed anymore. (I'll have an opportunity to check this over the coming weekend. I am going to reinstall XP on my laptop.)

Joncat can't acces the help menu because the trial has expired. The first splash screen should have a buy button. (At least it was there when I bought MC11  ::) )

EDIT

I meant: There is a buy button inside the first splash screen.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 07:08:47 pm »

Exactly. I tried to imply that I have tried all the steps in different orders (I should have been more clear); I am most definitely stuck at da splash screen of MC11 - with MC10 installed and registered.

*EDIT*....earlier today I tried to use the MC10 .mjr file through the MC11 "trial splash screen", and it said "do you want to upgrade"?.

When I filled out the 10.00$ MC11 upgrade form it wouldn't let me do it.....looks like its working now. A little note on the splash screen would help as there will be quite a few users that won't try using the MC10 mjr.

As of now MC11 is up & running. My genuine congrats to the JRiver crew and forum members who have made this an amazing tool; thanks for putting up with us!  :o

JC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 07:58:21 pm »

I tested it already. It worked just as I said. I booted using an old HD backup image. It had only MC10 installed. I uninstalled MC10 with all uninstall options selected (registry & library). Then I installed MC 11 and made it expired. There was a buy button inside the first splash screen and it gave me the upgrade price.

Here is the splash screen & buy button.

LonWar

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 08:13:54 pm »

I tested it already. It worked just as I said. I booted using an old HD backup image. It had only MC10 installed. I uninstalled MC10 with all uninstall options selected (registry & library). Then I installed MC 11 and made it expired. There was a buy button inside the first splash screen and it gave me the upgrade price.

Here is the splash screen & buy button.

I stand corrected.... At least he's up and running now!!!

-

modelmaker

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 08:40:16 pm »

Also: When MC 11 starts install, it gives you the option to remove MC 10 before proceeding if it is present. You do not have to remove it before starting the MC 11 install.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 12:15:08 am »

Also: When MC 11 starts install, it gives you the option to remove MC 10 before proceeding if it is present. You do not have to remove it before starting the MC 11 install.

But if you DO uninstall 10, you still get the upgrade price, right?

Here's what I would like to do:  I want to install MC11 in it's default directory, AND I want to keep all my old settings, AND I want the upgrade price.  What's the "best" way to achieve this?

Thanks,

Larry

modelmaker

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 12:38:27 am »

Install and register MC 10. Install MC 11, the first window that pops up is the choice uninstall MC 10 or keep it. Choose uninstall, then the installer will put MC 11 in the default J River directory after it removes MC 10.

If you choose to keep  MC 10 then you can just choose a directory called: J River\MC 11\Media Center 11 to install MC 11 in, (as many of us have). Having both on your computer will not hurt anything. These two MCs are designed to co-exist on the same computer, (I'm sure partly due to the long gestation of MC 11). And after all it is still beta, so having a stable MC 10 around to fall back on just in case, is reassuring to some of us.

Listening to: 'Homeward Through The Haze' from 'Wind On The Water' by 'Crosby & Nash' on Media Center 11
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 07:50:34 am »

Yes, the installer has the "uninstall MC10" option. In the past I always skipped it because I wasn't aware of what it does exactly. I mean: Does it preserve the registration, library, cover art etc? I read from the release threads that installer's behavior with cover art changed recently, but I haven't tried that.

But if you DO uninstall 10, you still get the upgrade price, right?

Here's what I would like to do: I want to install MC11 in it's default directory, AND I want to keep all my old settings, AND I want the upgrade price. What's the "best" way to achieve this?

Yes, you will get the upgrade price. MC does not wipe the registration information.

I guess you have to redefine your program options. (The options look quite familiar in MC11, but they have internally changed a lot during the MC11 development). You could make some notes about your current settings.

As I said I'll install a new OS to my laptop. During the process I'll have an opportunity to try some things.

Generally it would be good at this stage if JRiver personnel could test and double-check several upgrade scenarios and publish some official instructions.

For example:

- 98SE / ME / W2k / XP
- MJ8 > MC11 / MC9 > MC11 / MC9.1 > MC11 / MC10 > MC11

Things to find out:
- What is the best way to preserve the previous library data including the cover art links?
- Should the user do something in a different way if the folder locations are not default?
(MJ/MC program folder, database location and cover art location)
- What if the user has several libraries?
- In which cases the old version should be uninstalled?

I don't know if the installer can handle all this. If not, the written instructions in a single place would be a great help for upgraders.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 02:57:23 pm »

Yes, the installer has the "uninstall MC10" option. In the past I always skipped it because I wasn't aware of what it does exactly. I mean: Does it preserve the registration, library, cover art etc? I read from the release threads that installer's behavior with cover art changed recently, but I haven't tried that.

Can't you check this?  If MC11 has the correct data in it's own folders (i.e. if it brought over the MC10 data, cover art, etc. and stored it in it's own folders), this would seem to imply that it DOES preserve the previous data.

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 01:59:37 pm »

Well, during the last weekend I installed MJ8, MC9, MC9.1, MC10 and upgraded them one by one to MC11. It was nice to see those old friends again, but I have to admit that the old versions were not so great when compared with MC11.  :)

The upgrade process was not exactly seamless.

MJ8/MC9.x -> MC11.  MC11 installer didn't offer to uninstall MJ8 or MC9.x.

MC10 -> MC11.  MC11 installer uninstalled MC10 when I gave it a permission to do that. It didn't delete the old library because that option was not selected, but also it didn't automatically find it. I had to make a new library using Library Manager and point it to the old library location. This is not any easier or more robust way than uninstalling MC10 first.

For the cleanest possible result I would recommend taking the following steps when upgrading from any previous MC version or from MJ8:

1. Make a library backup(s) to a safe place outside of the program folders. Each library needs a separate backup.

2. Copy the cover art folder to the same safe place. Make a note about the original path.

3. Make notes about the program options you have customized. You need to reconfigure them after installing MC11.

4. Uninstall the old version completely using its uninstaller. Check the program folders and delete all possibly remaining JRiver folders.

5. Return the cover art folder to the original location if it was deleted from the MJ/MC data folder.

6. Install MC11 and restore the library(ies). Check the program options and adjust if needed. Everything should be OK now.

A remark: Replay Gain analysis must be redone after upgrading from MJ8 (the system changed in MC9).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 02:05:41 pm »

Well, during the last weekend I installed MJ8, MC9, MC9.1, MC10 and ugraded them one by one to MC11. It was nice to see those old friends again, but I have to admit that the old versions were not so great when compared with MC11.  :)

I'm impressed.  That is dedication to making a better MC.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up