INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record sound from soundcard  (Read 1237 times)

tiger

Record sound from soundcard
« on: June 02, 2005, 07:25:38 am »

I have a Dell Latitude D800  that I use with MC11 (build 280) using the internal SigmaTel Audio soundcard. I am trying to record audio through MC11 and using the instructions in the helpfiles. (using SigmaTel Audio and Mixer).  I am not recording anything, and the status only says: "waiting for sound". If I try to record using the microphone, it starts recording, but I want it to record sounds that comes directly from my soundcard.

Any ideas for what I can try?

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Record sound from soundcard
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 12:56:12 pm »

tiger--
I'm going to try this, although my answer's going to be kind of mangled.  Hopefully more knowledgable people will read my botched answer and give you more complete / accurate advice.

I just set MC 11 up for recording about a week ago.  I got the same status message until I started fooling around with the mixer (that being the windows play control). there are two modes for this (if we're talking about the same mixer).  The default is for "play control".  What I did to fix this was to go into OPTIONS/PROPERTIES and change the setting for "Adjust volume for" to "recording".  this then produced a whole new set of sliders which you can try until you get the proper output.  I found the right one lurking under "wave balance". 

If that in fact  answers your question, then here's a little more:
You'll want to adjust that slider carefully to achieve a lineout volume that  doesn't clip when recorded by MC.  I found this to be a delicate balancing act, in part because the mC line in EQ doesn't seem to have any retained max level indicator.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 01:42:28 pm »

The impression I got from the parent post was that tiger was trying to record the output of his soundcard, not the line in.  As in, a sneaky way to record a live stream (or bypass DRM).  This is actually possible using another popular media player application (which I will leave nameless), but I don't think MC can do it.  Unless of course, you connect the speaker out of your soundcard back into the line in... That'd do it (with the applicable generational loss of course).

I may have misunderstood the post though...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 02:40:39 pm »

Recording directly from the soundcard mixer works on my PC. I tried my Terratec DMX6 fire 24/96 and C-Media (integrated) soundcards and both worked fine. I played some APE tracks with another player and recorded with MC.

Edit:   - without using any connection cords.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:20:26 pm »

Huh!  I never realized you could do that with MC.  Wow!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

saulniers

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 11:27:44 am »

I have just purchased a Creative USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX. It's connected to my computer using a USB2 connector. I am trying to record from an external cassette player. I have line-out from the cassette player connected to line-in on the Audigy 2 NX. I also have my speakers connected to the 2 NX. After installing the Audigy 2 NX I changed Windows Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Device Properties>Sound Playback and Sound Recording Defaults to the Audigy 2 NX.

When I play a track using MC11.299, I hear the track through the speakers connected to the 2 NX. When I attempt to record, I am given the choice of microphone or mixer. There is no line-in selection available. If I select Mixer and begin to record, there is no input to the recorder. Same result for Microphone, but I would have expected this because there in no microphone plugged in to the Audigy 2 NX. I would appreciate suggestions on how I need to change my configuration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up