INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VERY INTERESTING!!!  (Read 1692 times)

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I would just like to say...
VERY INTERESTING!!!
« on: October 09, 2002, 07:53:25 am »

:-[ This article appears on Yahoo news page, today. It really makes one stop and think about the record companies, and what other companies, may have as far as "ghosts" in their closets.(and they want to complain about "piracy"? Now, don't get me wrong, music file swapping is wrong, because the artists that create the music in the first place, don't get paid for it. But when you read an article like this, it really makes you stop and think.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021007/media_nm/germany_bertelsmann_nazi_dc_1

I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.

scodan

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: VERY INTERESTING!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 08:25:06 am »

Does Bertelsmann have anything at all to do with record companies?

"Media firm" does not mean "record company".

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 08:45:09 am »

Does Bertelsmann have anything at all to do with record companies?

Yes they do.

-=TIm=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 10:32:18 am »

Bertelsmann ownes BMG, RCA, Giant (I think) and other related labels. It's one of the "majors".

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2002, 11:07:57 am »

He also owned part of napster funding research for napster.com
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2002, 11:46:19 am »

http://www.bertelsmann.com/

BMG = Bertelsmann Music Group

They gave 50 million to Napster

http://www.bertelsmann.com/divisions/bmg/labels/labels.cfm

With more than 200 labels, including such legendary names as Arista, RCA and Ariola, BMG's musical diversity ranges from hip-hop and musical soundtracks to alternative rock and classical music. BMG owes its commercial success and critical acclaim to its strong network of local and regional repertoire centers, through which tomorrow's new voices are introduced to the world every day.

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2002, 12:18:41 pm »

keep in mind that i post sitting in my flat in Tel-Aviv

However, media reports about its past prompted Bertelsmann to set up an independent commission of four historians early in 1999 whose final findings were released on Monday.

The day something like it happens in France.......It will rain **** as we say in France......

Hard to link it with all the p2p-stupid  majors problems.

Germany has a lot 'of gosts in the closets' sure.But they open the closets unlike many other countrys.

Not only crying about 11th september 2001  and  never speak about 11th september 1973 who did much more innocent victims.

So half of the music you listen to is owne by a company who was a nazi friendly one,everytime you see a Ford car,think that his founder was a nazi like thinking and a strong anti-semitic  as was Disney[anti-semetic ,not nazi]
So if you play the Arista records from Lou Reed driving a Ford going to take you kid to see the last Disney..you get a real mess

wortgames

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2002, 06:40:31 pm »

I feel I must make a point which is often overlooked in the whole p2p debate.

Skinnyfatz says, "music file swapping is wrong, because the artists that create the music don't get paid".

Remember for a moment, that the vast majority of artists and musicians don't make a cent from art or music anyway! They usually have to buy their own gear, pay for rehearsal space and drive miles to do pub gigs that barely cover the petrol. Most musicians I know would love the opportunity to be heard in another state, country or the other side of the world - whether they made a dollar out of it or not.

The people screaming loudest are the record companies, not the artists, because the internet is replacing what they do. Think about it. The record companies have no talent of their own, they go out and find it when it is cheap and desperate, they pay it next to nothing and reap huge profits from 'publicity and distribution'. Well gee, the internet can do the 'publicity and distribution' for free, which leaves the record companies looking fat and ineffectual.

There is a possibility that artists can make more money from p2p, if music were treated more like shareware. Download it free, listen free, and if you like the stuff send the artist a couple of bucks to fund future work. It works for software, why not music? How much does an artist make from the sale of a CD anyway? Not as much as the record company, that's for sure.

It used to cost a huge amount of money for studio work to cut a disc, but now anyone who is GENUINELY into it for the art can get a job delivering pizzas and buy the hardware and software to do their own work. Artists of the future may never cut a CD anyway! Music will be created digitally, transmitted digitally, and listened to from a digital source.

CDs are a ripoff, we all know this. There are scratch-resistant plastics out there, do they make CDs from it? No. We are paying for the rights to own a copy of that music, are we? So if I have a damaged disc, which I have paid the rights to, I can swap it for an undamaged one can I Mr. Record Company? Oh, I have to pay the same amount again?

It is getting harder and harder for the record companies to justify their parasytic existence, and I expect that we will see the end of them within 10 years. They may move into cyberspace to become 'channels' bringing you the music 'you want' and providing you with the download for a fee. But it won't be the same kind of money they can currently make from each and every CD.

The only 'artists' that p2p disadvantages are those that are big enough to actually make money from the record companies, and there really aren't that many of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up