INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get MC to Import ATI .VCR Files  (Read 1533 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Get MC to Import ATI .VCR Files
« on: June 14, 2005, 08:07:06 pm »

Does anyone know how to get MC to import ATI's .VCR timeshifting/recording files.  They play fine (when you have the ATI software installed) from inside Windows Media Player, but when I try to "open" them in MC (by going to File --> Open) they just pop open in WiMP instead of MC.

I'd like to be able to catalog these files from inside MC (and if possible play them from inside it).  Any guesses?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Get MC to Import ATI .VCR Files
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 08:10:01 pm »

Tell WMP to stop that.  File associations there.

Try renaming the files (to test) as .mpg or .mpeg or .mp4.   I'm guessing that they are mpeg2 or mpeg4 files.

We could add them to the file associations data file if we knew a little more.

Google search?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Get MC to Import ATI .VCR Files
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:43:37 am »

Changing the "Association" in Windows away from WiMP (sorry, ;) I like to add the "i") to "nothing" (deleting the association so Windows prompts for a program) doesn't fix anything.  It then just ignores the file (as if I hadn't tried to open it).  If I rename the file to ".mpg" or ".avi" then MC will both play and import the file.  That's a workaround, but it'd be nice to be able to support the file type with it's own extension would be nice (it must be at least a little common... there are quite a few ATI AIW owners out there).

If it has to wait for v12 (rather than a subsequent bugfix build of 11) then oh well, as I can rename them.  However, might it not be nice to have some method to "force" MC to try to play/import file types it doesn't necessarily know about (similar to how WiMP warns you but will try it anyway if you tell it to)?  This could allow me to catalog all my weirdo file types in MC, even if MC couldn't necessarily handle the files natively, without you having to add each one of them individually to the "allow list".  I remember this type of thing happened with v10 and .OGM files.  They worked, but only if you tricked MC into thinking they were AVI's.

Either way, it would be nice to be able to add them as the .VCR files they are...  Thanks!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up