INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV - Pictures but no Sound  (Read 3098 times)

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
TV - Pictures but no Sound
« on: July 08, 2005, 05:27:15 pm »

Any help appreciated (realies I have an unusual setup)

Feeding my satellite receiver to my PC via Holograph H3d. I c get the picture off this fine in mc by enabling video inputs and chosing the correct one.

My problem is sound. I have connected satellite receiver stereo out to inputs 1 & 2 of my M-Audio Delta 410. Selecting need a connection in MC and chosing m-audio 1/2 and WAVE results in no sound for normal viewing. However, in time-shift mode, I have sound.

Question is, how to enable sound in non-timeshift mode.

Furthermore, in timeshift mode, fullscreen view, the picture appears to be expoanded vertically. Anyone come across that?

Thanks

Peter

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV - Pictures but no Sound
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 11:13:16 pm »

My problem is sound. I have connected satellite receiver stereo out to inputs 1 & 2 of my M-Audio Delta 410. Selecting need a connection in MC and chosing m-audio 1/2 and WAVE results in no sound for normal viewing.

How about choosing Line-in (or similar) instead of WAVE?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 04:11:17 am »

The only options I'm presented with under

TV Options --> Configure TV --> Audio

(with 'requires cable' checked) are

Wave
SW Synth
CD Player

Having selected my 1/2 input in the Choose Mixer Device drop down, Wave is the logical choice in Choose Audio Line drop down.

These are obviously the correct settings as sound is recorded in Timeshift mode.

(By the way, this is NOT a TV card issue, it's a sound input/config issue.)

Any pointers still appreciated.

Peter

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 02:40:35 pm »

Try unchecking the "This device requires ..." checkbox.

Most TV cards use a cable to connect to sound card's line-in or auxiliary, and the sound card directly route the sound to the speakers. That is normally how live sound is heard. Time-shifting works differently. It records the sound to a file and then plays it back. It normally would have to mute line-in for the sound card to prevent live sound from being heard.

In your case it seems that the live sound is not routed to the speakers. Time-shifting is not affected by that since it renders the sound from the sound card internally.

Unchecking the checkbox would force the program to try rendering the sound from the sound card. It might work. Try it.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 06:32:52 pm »

Uaobing

No joy with that.

I was hoping for a solution that did not require me to mess with sound card CP.

It's frustrating that timeshift mode can mute soundcard and re-direct input to HD recording but MC cannot route the same audio input to the designated output in non timeshift mode.

Peter

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 10:01:03 am »

I was hoping for a solution that did not require me to mess with sound card CP.

What do you mean by that?

It's frustrating that timeshift mode can mute soundcard and re-direct input to HD recording but MC cannot route the same audio input to the designated output in non timeshift mode.

After re-reading your posts and my own, I am a little confused here. Normally MC TV mutes the line that you select under Audio tab, which means "Wave" in your case but in most other cases it would be "Line-in", during Time-shifting. But "Wave" is also what is needed to playback time-shifted sound. Yet you can hear sound during time-shifting!

Please open the Windows volume control and look at the mute status of various lines.

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 10:18:36 am »

What do you mean by that?

If I open my M-Audio Control Panel (CP) and map the analog 1/2 input to the SPDIF output, I get the audio patched through from the external satellite tuner to my receiver/amp and can hear TV sound. This bypasses MC handling of the sound.

However, I would have expected given the configuration options, the MC would take the input channels specified in Configure TV --> Audio and send them to the selected output device.

The fact that MC can take that input and record it to disc druing timeshift mode indicates that there is no hardware constraint or configurable setting preventing MC accessing the audio. Why then, does it not simply pass that audio out to the specified device during normal viewing?

To summarise;

-I have my satellite decoder connected to analog inputs 1/2 on my soundcard
-I have MC configured to output to my soundcard diigital out using ASIO (works fine for audio)
-I have configured inputs 1/2 in Configure TV --> audio and selected WAVE as the only viable option in the second drop down.
-In timeshift mode, sound and picture play just fine
-In non timeshift mode, I get pciture but no sound.

Peter

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 11:21:56 am »

Peter,

Thanks for the clarification.

If I open my M-Audio Control Panel (CP) and map the analog 1/2 input to the SPDIF output, I get the audio patched through from the external satellite tuner to my receiver/amp and can hear TV sound. This bypasses MC handling of the sound.

However, I would have expected given the configuration options, the MC would take the input channels specified in Configure TV --> Audio and send them to the selected output device.

The fact that MC can take that input and record it to disc druing timeshift mode indicates that there is no hardware constraint or configurable setting preventing MC accessing the audio. Why then, does it not simply pass that audio out to the specified device during normal viewing?

Now I understand better. MC TV does not do sound card configuration. It was designed to work with majority of TV cards, which normally gets sound easily by passing audio directly to the sound card.

Maybe that is something to consider for the future. But for now, you will have to settle with doing sound card configuration outside of MC.

The settings at Configure TV --> Audio only do these things:

1. It makes sure the channel you selected (normally Line-in) is not muted for normal playing.
2. It makes sure the channel you selected IS muted for time-shifting.

No other configuration is performed.

Yaobing

meep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 12:16:12 pm »

Thanks Yaobing

It seems a small step to take that input and patch it to the designated ouput (perhaps with some audio and/or video delay for lip-sync issues.

Will suggest it on features topic.

Thanks for the time.

Peter

Pages: [1]   Go Up