INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Start Media Server on windows startup  (Read 22205 times)

benvisser

• Junior Woodchuck
Start Media Server on windows startup
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:44:05 am »

Om MC10 there was an option to start media server on windows startup.

In the version 11 I must start the program to startup media server.

Is there a solution to do this automaticly on the background when I put my computer on?

Ben.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Start Media Server on windows startup
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 07:10:04 am »

You can still start Media Server at Windows bootup.  This runs a small sub-set of MC and the icon will be in the lower right corner of the desktop.

benvisser

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 09:22:40 am »

And how do I organise this?
Is there a paramater I have to put on?

Ben

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 10:02:44 am »

You can right click the icon for Media Server (Windows Start/Program files, etc) and drag it onto your desktop (make a copy).  If you right click it, you'll see this in properties:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\MC11.exe /MediaServer

You can also drag the icon into your Windows startup folder.

benvisser

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 05:03:32 pm »

Thanks Jim

I have installed it as you said, and it works just fine.

Thanks again.

Ben.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 02:59:10 pm »

i cannot find the mediaserver icon anywhere on my PC.  can someone please tell me exactly where it should be?  there is no directory called MC11 in my system 32 folder, and nothing called MediaServer in the Program files/J river/MC11 directory.

thanks

nick

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 03:24:04 pm »

i cannot find the mediaserver icon anywhere on my PC.  can someone please tell me exactly where it should be?  there is no directory called MC11 in my system 32 folder, and nothing called MediaServer in the Program files/J river/MC11 directory.

MC11 is not a folder -- it's a file (note that it's "MC11.exe" in the post above.)  "MediaServer" is a switch that tells MC11.exe to start up the small, independent, "MediaServer mode" rather than startung the whole program.  You can then open and close MC without effecting MediaServer, which continues to run.  When MediaServer is running, you'll see a little icon in the systray.

Larry

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 03:43:20 pm »

Any way to get this functionality (i.e. Media Server mode) as a service, so that it can actually run on a server without login?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 05:09:01 pm »

Any way to get this functionality (i.e. Media Server mode) as a service, so that it can actually run on a server without login?

Some people have reported doing this in the past by either editing the registery or using a third party app designed to let people run programs as services.  Here is one such thread discussing this:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22109.msg154148#msg154148

I am not clear if the registry edit still works with the latest version of XP, or if you're comfortable editing the registry (which can be a little tricky if things don't work right), but the program listed in the last post of that thread is still available, i.e:

I have been using firedaemon to do this for Media Server.  It will let you run any application as a service.  There is a free version that lets you run one app.  If you need to run more than one application, you would have to use the paid version.  www.firedaemon.com

Works great for me!

Eric

I'm unclear if the free version is still available.  The site seems to indicate that the only "free" version is a 30 day trial.  There are other similar products available, however, some of which may be free.  You might want to do a google search for "run program as a service."

Larry

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »

Thanks for that. Had a quick look around and came up with a FREEWARE alternative:-

Checkout http://www.bitsum.com/other.php#makeservice

This might do what is needed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up