INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP as service?  (Read 1432 times)

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MC rocks ... keep up your good work!
UPnP as service?
« on: September 10, 2005, 06:54:07 am »

Since MC now serves as my UPnP Media Server for my Media Receiver(Dlink DSM 320). I wonder if there are any plans to allow Media Center UPnP Server to run as service? I'm not alway logged in, but I still would like to have MC UPnP running as long as my PC is up and running.

Any chance for this in the next version, or is there a work around to simulate this (Windows XP Prof)?

Thanks guys
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Handheld: IPOD 60GB, Creative Vision:M
Media Receiver: DLink DSM-320

mwilson

Re: UPnP as service?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 08:09:06 am »

I use Library Server heavily throughout my house.  It was one of the main reasons for purchasing MedaiCenter over a year and a half ago. 

Running Library Server (and UPnP Server) as a service would be outstanding to say the least. 

Library Server (and UPnP Server) running as a service would enable a true "media server" for a house and push MediaCenter even farther ahead of the competition than it already is.  Maybe this would be a purchasable option?  Like anyone, I am never looking for opportunity to spend more money, but this would be something I would spend it on.  Anyway... JMHO.

Thanks for a terrific product.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 11:28:59 am »

Search the forum here, you'll find programs that convert the UPnP server into a service.

j

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 11:07:21 am »

Hmm, I tried to find threads to convert the UPnP server to a service. No luck!
Any hint of what I have to look for. Obviously looking for UPnP and Service is not hit.

Thanks
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:23:38 pm »

Try searching for firedaemon, or maybe "library server" and "service"...
Running the UPnP server as a service is no different than Library  Server as a service.

j

Dopas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 12:57:42 pm »

Alright, I now use the instructions from here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28390.0 using xyntservice.

It seems to run well, when I start the machine. Once I logon to the machine and start a new MC for the desktop, I get MC to crash. Killing all Media Center processes and starting a fresh one, it's all good.

It would be great if you guys could make the library and UPnp Service to be out of the box. Too many manual things to be done, to get this running.  8) Only computer experts can do this ... Normal users would not be able to use it  ?.

Thanks John for your quick help, it at least solves my request for the moment.

Regards
Dom
Media Center 12.X/13.x
Pages: [1]   Go Up