INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AAC encoding (need %artist, %title, etc)  (Read 2053 times)

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
AAC encoding (need %artist, %title, etc)
« on: October 05, 2005, 08:04:25 am »

Hi,

I'm trying to convert my APE libraries to AAC format for iPod.

I used a tool, iTunesEncode46, that pank2002 suggested at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29755.msg204915#msg204915.  It works great except tag information.

Let me introduce this iTunesEncode46 first.  It is a program that we can execute from command line with input wav file, output aac filename, and other options.  Once we execute it, it calls iTunes to encode a given wav file into AAC file.  Encoding works great.  Moreover, it uses the latest iTunes.  We can create the best quality AAC files from APE/WMA/etc. for iPod.   ;D

However, MC11 cannot tag AAC files.  iTunesEncode46 has several option to tag output AAC file, but I don't know how to specify artist name, title, etc. tag information as parameters for external encoder.   :'(

Is there any strings used to pass artist/title information to external program when we use external encoder?  I tried to use "-a %a" and "-a %ARTIST" as part of parameters but MC11 didn't expand those strings into artist tag information.

In addition, current setting of MC for AAC encoding is...

EXE Path: installed iTunesEncode46.exe
Parameters: -i %IN -o %OUT
Extension: m4a
mark "Encoder supports long filenames"

I would like to pass artist, album, and title name information at least.  If it is possible, I also would like to pass track number, year, and genre.  Thanks.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: AAC encoding (need %artist, %title, etc)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 08:24:46 pm »

I'd like to know the same thing.  I've used a CLI-based MP3 encoder before, but I think you need to be a freaking rocket scientist to understand this one.

pank2002

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 02:26:40 pm »

Once we execute it, it calls iTunes to encode a given wav file into AAC file.
Does it actually run iTunes (i.e. does the iTunes run) or does it use the encoder in the background. Once, a somebody made a cmd program which forced new cli windows to stay minimized. You might want to find this program. I though it was quite useful.
Also, does the script allow ALAC encoding?

However, MC11 cannot tag AAC files.
Really? What a bunch of lobster! That's a misfortune.
Is there any strings used to pass artist/title information to external program when we use external encoder? 
I think not, unfortunately. However, MC should be able to use

Maybe this one is better? MC might be able to add tags. Worth a shot, at least...

-Rasmus
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 07:03:16 pm »

Does it actually run iTunes (i.e. does the iTunes run) or does it use the encoder in the background.

It runs iTunes.  e.g. if there is no running iTunes, it starts iTunes then iTunes encodes data.  if there is running iTunes minimized, iTunes starts to encode data without opening/popping-up any window.  ALAC is also supported.

About tagging stuff, http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=22219.0 explains better.  I think nothing is changed in this one year.

Maybe this one is better? MC might be able to add tags.

Thanks for good info again.  This tool is the same tool iTunesEncode46.  He made a plug-in using this CLI program for his dMC.  It looks like they support AAC tagging too, so very promising.  However, dMC doesn't read apl (read ape but no apl)...  Well, it is still very useful for ppl using non-apl data.   Thanks.  ;)

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 02:06:42 am »

FYI, I'm converting my APL library into AAC files using following method.

• Convert all APL files into APE with tag using MC
  • Convert all APE files into AAC with tag using dMC
  • Import all AAC files from iTunes and dump them to ipod

Once MC supports "%ARTIST" and other string conversion for external encoder, we can convert APL files into AAC directly someday in the future.   ;)

soren

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 03:19:47 am »

What is dMC?

I also need to convert APE to AAC for my iPod mini.
I do not have iTunes installed at all.. MC communicates directly with the iPod.

/Sören

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 03:35:38 am »

What is dMC?

It's dBpowerAMP Music Converter.

Download http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm.  Install http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7604 for m4a (iTunes) encoding.  Install http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8950 for m4a (FAAC CLI) encoding.

Then, right click APE files and select "Convert to" menu.  It runs dMC.  From dMC, you can encode APE files into m4a (iTunes) or m4a (FAAC CLI).  First method uses iTunes, so need to install iTunes.  Second method doesn't use iTunes i guess, so probablly no need to install it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up