INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help connecting Audigy to Onkyo  (Read 2691 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Need help connecting Audigy to Onkyo
« on: October 05, 2005, 09:21:36 am »

I got an Audigy2 ZS sound card, the idea being to run the digital out from the card inot my Onyko TX-SR503 receiver.

The Audigy's digital out is a 1/8" miniplug jack, to connect to the digital coax in of the Onkyo, you need a 1/8" mono miniplug to RCA adaptor, which I have.  However, I am not getting any sound out of the Onkyo (I have selected the Audigy as the sound device in MC, and set the source to coax for the appropriate component selection).

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Need help connecting Audigy to Onkyo
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:46:45 am »

Creative uses a nonstandard voltage level for this coaxial miniplug output (in the Audigy2 ZS basic model). The voltage level is too high. It is +- several volts instead of the standard +-500 mV (+500 mV for on and -500 mV for off). Apparently it is designed only for Creative's digital PC speaker systems. Usually HT receivers don't like this too high voltage scale. It is also potentially dangerous for the receivers' circuits.

Hoontech made an affordable digital I/O daughter card/bracket for SB cards, but I think the company is out of business. (At least the www.hoontech.com address is dead.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Re: Need help connecting Audigy to Onkyo
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 12:16:19 pm »

I ended up running the coax out from the Audigy into a coax to optical converter, so the Onkyo is getting optical in.  That way if I fry anything I'll be out $25 instead of $250.

BTW, the Onkyo will only accept digital out from the Audigy at 48mHz, 96 won't work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up