INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: advantages of Windows XP(?)  (Read 1831 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
advantages of Windows XP(?)
« on: October 15, 2005, 08:16:32 am »

My apologies for not finding this subject in a forum search, but JR should offer a way of searching for XP in the subject only  :)

My MC11, M-audio Revo 7.1 and ATI 9700P are presently installed on Windows 2000.  I have an installation of XP Pro, but it seems like a hassle if there are no real advantages for my HT PC.  For example, the driver for my Revo is for Win2k and WinXP which implies no difference in audo.  Are there any advantages I am not aware of??

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: advantages of Windows XP(?)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 08:29:00 am »

I'm confused by your question.
I stayed on 2000 for as long as possible,
only converting to XP last month.
Theres very little advantage as far as MC is concerned
that I've found. (Folder.jpg stuff is of some use in XP, but thats
about the only thing I've found).

XP is pretty much 2000 with a facelift (give or take).
The reason I changed over was because Microsoft are being
arsey and not supporting 2k anymore.  IE7 is XP only.
Updates are few and far between etc.
You do get built in CD writing.  Thats the only advantage
I've come across, however not built in DVD Burning (Grr!)

Hope that helps

VGuarino

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 03:16:18 pm »

I have just converted my two remote MC laptop clients to XP. The main benefit I have found is Remote Desktop vs VNC. When I remote to the client laptops, RDP uses almost no memory on the client. VNC sucks up 70%. Since I am using older laptops as clients, the extra CPU usage can be a problem and a big annoyance.

RDP comes native with XP Pro. You can get an RDP client for Win2k. But I don't think Win2k Pro supports the server side.

V

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 07:47:02 am »

XP, under the covers, is not just w2k with a facelift.  There are a number of ways it's better at handling drivers, memory and processes.  Most won't be apparent to the user. 

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 12:33:56 pm »

I did say give or take  :)
At the end of the Day 2k was NT 5, and XP's 5.1
I've got an OS book on it (The one with dinosaurs on the front  :) ) which refers as XP as an "Update to the Windows 2000 desktop operating system".

Your probably right with the improvements you've mentioned but I cant be bothered to cross reference the xp and 2k stuff in my book :-)
Feel free to give more detail tho.

I've always maintained from experience that improvements in XP brings less reliability to the every day user (i.e. not in an industrial static type operation), and also less available resources,
Especially when you have 2k up to Service Pack 4 + all updates (except the lastest
one which killed mine!).

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 01:28:18 pm »

XP brings less reliability to the every day user (i.e. not in an industrial static type operation), and also less available resources,
Especially when you have 2k up to Service Pack 4 + all updates (except the lastest
one which killed mine!).

Ahh..but u can turn off, lots of services and effects in XP and get that memory back.

I'm still on 2K for my work box, MC is on XP. The improvement i got is that i can use Direct sound that uses less resources than Waveout.

2K gets EOL'd in 2010, so they will be security fixes till then.  I'm not inerested in IE7 nor their media player.

Tab

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 08:09:02 am »

While XP has its improvements, it also has significant downsides compared to 2k. The extras bundled with XP can be dled for free off the net, and better 3rd party versions at that. But the drawbacks are not so easily overcome, and are bad enough to encourage me to avoid it when practical.

Tab

shAf

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 04:38:03 am »

While XP has its improvements, [...] the drawbacks are not so easily overcome, and are bad enough to encourage me to avoid it when practical.

What drawbacks are you speaking of?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up