INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [iPod] How to revert to older firmware  (Read 1249 times)

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
[iPod] How to revert to older firmware
« on: October 22, 2005, 09:32:16 am »

This is useful for folks who don't want to wait until 11.1 is released.  You can download the Feb 22, 2005 updater from camper's website.  Thanks, camper!
http://www.cd74.com/iPodSetup.exe [45MB]

All I did was to copy and paste the following two lines and it allowed me to revert from version 3.1:
buildID: 0x02108000 (2.1)
visibleBuildID: 0x02108000 (2.1)

Source: http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104558&perpage=15&highlight=revert%20firmware&pagenumber=1

Not for those who know the tricks to good iPod management! Best of all you can revert back to you old iPodOS (barring that you archived it or that you still have the original CD),. Here's how you can do it!

1) Just Restore your iPod back to an Older Copy of the iPodOS NOTE: THIS WILL FORMAT THE IPOD. Thuss BAD, BAD, BAD... But, it will get the Job done. If you manage to backup all your Music Folders on your iPod (Fxx ~Fxx) located ipod_Control\Devices\Music IIRC!

2) A much more robust way of peddling back to an Older iPodOS Ver. Gain access to you iPod though Windows Explorer (you might have to tick the 'Use Disk mode' Box in iTunes so that your iPod does not self-eject after iTunes does it's thing. (BTW: You need to do that much for the above too).

In any case open Windows Explorer (Win+E) and go to Options and make sure to disable ANY AND ALL 'Hide File and Folders'! or you will not be able to view the contents of your iPod!!

Ok now back to the Hack? ok..

You need to access your iPod at x:\<iPodNAME>\iPod_Control\Devices
You should see Two Files here 'Preferences' and 'SysInfo'. It's the 'SysInfo' File we interested in! So Open it up with 'you favorite text editor' (to get the best layout!).

Find the part of your Sysinfo that looks like this!

buildID: 0x02308000 (2.3)
visibleBuildID: 0x02308000 (2.3)

NOTE:I own a 3G so you Numbers can and will vary!

Edit those lines like this...

buildID: 0x02108000 (2.1)
visibleBuildID: 0x02108000 (2.1)

Note I turned the 3's back into 1's. THATS IT! Save As and exit. Just do not let you iPod reboot itself or you will have to redo this step!

Ok now the hard part finding that older version iPodOS (assuming you have it you should be able to run the Update Function as opposed to the Restore (i.e. Reformat), on your iPod.

Bam! welcome back to your prior iPodOS and your Smart Playlists.

Pretty simple when you know how!!!

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: [iPod] How to revert to older firmware
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 09:25:25 am »

Thanks for the post Galley.
Pages: [1]   Go Up