INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about 11.1 with ipod...  (Read 1337 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
question about 11.1 with ipod...
« on: October 29, 2005, 12:06:10 pm »

How do we feel about iPod support reliabliity at this point.  Can it be trusted to manage an iPod without jacking a library or iPod?  Is it stable with iTunes?

I want to take the ratings from an iPod and merge them into a library to have a backup of those ratings.  If this jacks the information, it is lost forever.  At this point there is no backup of these ratings.  It is a friends iPod and he had been using iTunes to manage for a long time, and has no MC library.  He wants to convert to MC, but doesn't want to loose all his ratings.  Most of his filenames match those in my library, as that's how they were loaded on his machine.  He never maintained am MC library, and mine has changed drastically since then, as did his (ratings).  His iPod is acting funny, and I keep telling him it's gonna die, and he's gonna loose everything.  He wants to back it up, but I'm worried it will NOT overwrite the MC database, and will be changed to match my ratings, which he doesn't want.

Should I use 11.0 for this?  Is it stable enough for this?  Will doing that mean he can no longer use iTunes?  I want to convert him to MC, and will, but he still wants the comfort of iTunes for now.

Any ideas?
pretend this is something funny

SteveG

Re: question about 11.1 with ipod...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 01:25:17 pm »

11.1 is still a work in progress. It should be OK, but kinks are still being ironed out.

The safeest possibility is to backup everything on the iPod and then you can go back to it if you need to.

Steve

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 06:33:19 pm »

Thanks Steve.

How can I backup the iPod?
pretend this is something funny

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 07:22:50 am »

I don't think you can backup the iPod.  I expect Steve was suggesting that you make sure all your music is stored somewhere else so you can add it back if you have to restore the iPod.  If your music is all stored safely on your PC and you sync the iPod from your MC library then there is no need to back up anything except your MC library.  Then if things go really badly just reinstall MC 11.0, restore your library, restore your iPod and resync.
JLee

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 01:20:02 pm »

I was implying that if you copy everything on your iPod to a directory or folder on your PC and later wipe the iPod clean and copy it all back, everything should work again. An obvious drawback is the space required to do this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up