INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony BMG DRM for audio CD's  (Read 11192 times)

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Re: Sony BMG DRM for audio CD's
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2005, 04:00:26 pm »

A post near the bottom of this thread over in the Thinkpad forum indicates that the XCP stuff can interfere with ripping non-copyrighted discs also!  Anyone have a link on that info?

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=17119&highlight=

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2005, 08:33:45 am »

I thought I'd mention that there is some interesting new info on Freedom to Tinker now about Sony's other DRM software.  This is not the XCP stuff from F4I that's been causing all the stink but the far more common "SunnComm MediaMax" softspyware.

From the article:

I wrote last weekend about SunnComm’s spyware-like behavior. Sony CDs protected with their technology automatically install several megabytes of files without any meaningful notice or consent, silently phone home every time you play a protected album, and fail to include any uninstall option.

Here’s the good news: As several readers have pointed out, SunnComm will provide a tool to uninstall their software if users pester them enough. Typically this requires at least two rounds of emails with the company’s support staff.

Now the bad news: It turns out that the web-based uninstaller SunnComm provides opens up a major security hole very similar to the one created by the web-based uninstaller for Sony’s other DRM, XCP, that we announced a few days ago. I have verified that it is possible for a malicious web site to use the SunnComm hole to take control of PCs where the uninstaller has been used. In fact, the the SunnComm problem is easier to exploit than the XCP uninstaller flaw.

It looks like even though Sony recalled the XCP discs, it's still not safe to buy or use any of the discs for your Windows computer.  In case all of this hasn't taught you the lesson yet, you really should download TweakUI and disable AutoPlay on your optical drives right now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2005, 11:26:26 am »

A post near the bottom of this thread over in the Thinkpad forum indicates that the XCP stuff can interfere with ripping non-copyrighted discs also!  Anyone have a link on that info?

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=17119&highlight=

Here's the information I mentioned, followed by a link to the CA webpage:

XCP.Sony.Rootkit installs a DRM executable as a Windows service, but misleadingly names this service "Plug and Play Device Manager", employing a technique commonly used by malware authors to fool everyday users into believing this is a part of Windows. Approximately every 1.5 seconds this service queries the primary executables associated with all processes running on the machine, resulting in nearly continuous read attempts on the hard drive. This has been shown to shorten the drive's lifespan.

Furthermore, XCP.Sony.Rootkit installs a device driver, specifically a CD-ROM filter driver, which intercepts calls to the CD-ROM drive. If any process other than the included Music Player (player.exe) attempts to read the audio section of the CD, the filter driver inserts seemingly random noise into the returned data making the music unlistenable.

XCP.Sony.Rootkit loads a system filter driver which intercepts all calls for process, directory or registry listings, even those unrelated to the Sony BMG application. This rootkit driver modifies what information is visible to the operating system in order to cloak the Sony BMG software. This is commonly referred to as rootkit technology. Furthermore, the rootkit does not only affect XCP.Sony.Rootkit's files. This rootkit hides every file, process, or registry key beginning with $sys$. This represents a vulnerability, which has already been exploited to hide World of Warcraft RING0 hacks as of the time of this writing, and could potentially hide an attacker's files and processes once access to an infected system had been gained.

Sony BMG has released a patch which removes the rootkit and eliminates the above vulnerability. The patch fails the eTrust PestPatrol scorecard in its own right and its security advisor page can be found here. After the patch is run this variant of the XCP.Sony.Rootkit program still violates the eTrust PestPatrol Scorecard. The Patched program XCP.Sony.SP2's encyclopedia page can be found here.

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453096362

modelmaker

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2005, 01:20:49 am »

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2005, 02:01:14 pm »

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2005, 02:25:55 pm »

hey if anyone wants to break the copy protection, it looks like a bit of tape will do the trick.  All you gotta do is put a small piece of tape over the edge of the disc (where the second session with the copy protection is located), and insert in, and it rips !  Apparently.... i don't buy cds anymore.  but anyways, here's one link and here's the other.  happy ripping!

o btw
Recently just for giggles I tried an install of SUSE 9.3.  It would have been laughable, if I hadn't spent a week just trying to get 5 clean CD downloads.  When I finally got the thing installed, I thought, "If this was 1995 this would be revolutionary".  Not only did SUSE misdiagnose my monitors, graphics card and audio, it didn't offer me any apparent way to submit user-provided dirvers (I know there must be a way somehow, but in windows it's obvious).  IMO, Linux isn't even the equal of IRIX, or the mac.  Talk about fanboy-domininated PR. 

i find that comment offensive and unneeded.  i use ubuntu linux occasionally, and it was the easiest to install os ive ever dealt with.  i literally had to do such intensive tasks as choosing my time, typing in my name, and typing in a password.  yes, driver support isn't up to par, but then again, it does only have like 1 percent of the desktop market.  and the reason that it is fanboy-dominated pr is prolly because it is created by the fanboys.

anyways, u should try out ubuntu if u want a good example of a linux os.  one install cd, 30 minute install, minimal interaction until it is up and running.  and it runs at least very well if not perfectly with all of my hardware.
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2005, 06:17:20 pm »

Back onto a somewhat relevant topic...

Many of you may have heard that TiVO announced they would be providing iPod and PSP video support to their Series 2 DVR's.  Well, unsuprisingly the Entertainment Industry ain't impressed.

"TiVo appears to be acting unilaterally, disregarding established rights of content owners to participate in decisions regarding the distribution and exploitation of their content," an NBC Universal spokesman said. "This unilateral action creates the risk of legal conflict instead of contributing to the constructive exploitation of digital technology that can rapidly provide new and exciting experiences for the consumer."

Now, they want us to believe that me recording a TV show onto my DVR and then moving that file to my personal device somehow violates the "established rights of content owners".  I'm sorry Mr. NBC Universal spokesman, the artificial copyright monopoly grants you the right to First Sale afterwhich I am allowed to do with it mostly as I please.  Your powers are expressly limited to the power to control the copying and distribution of your content, not place or format shifting.  This was not an accident, but was done on purpose by the framers of the Constitution.

I believe in fair, free markets.  I, and TiVo, am under no obligation to support your business models.  If you want to sell your service, while I can get the same content (through elbow grease) for free, you must add value to your service or fail.  Not attack the competition.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2005, 07:44:07 pm »

Ha!  We seem to be moving towards "watchwrap" (google clickwrap if you're unfamiliar with the concept) license agreements, wherein the content provider grants you a limited license to view the content, one time, with no rights of recordation, etc., which you accept by the act of viewing the content.  Sweet!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2005, 07:36:25 am »

Sony has agreed to settle the lawsuits:

"LOS ANGELES — Embattled music label Sony BMG Music Entertainment has agreed to settle consumer complaints about its controversial attempt to copy-protect CDs.
Under terms of a settlement consolidating several lawsuits, Sony will give consumers who purchased an estimated 10 million CDs a combination of cash, replacement music and free downloads.

"The CDs — from artists including Alicia Keys, Santana, Neil Diamond and Bette Midler — used software from companies First 4 Internet and SunnComm that limited the number of times a CD could be copied on a PC. The software also made the PCs susceptible to viruses and spyware programs. "

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-12-29-sony-settlement_x.htm

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2005, 07:39:01 pm »

Sounds nice on the surface, but it's a lousy deal, especially for those that had problems with their computers.

To participate, consumers must complete a claim form and send Sony the original CD with a receipt.

• Purchasers of the XCP discs are eligible for $7.50 cash and one free album download

So you'll lose about half the cash mailing the CD back IF you're lucky enough to still have the receipt.

Sony knows that very few will have their recepts, so this won't cost them very much.

Shame on Sony!  Again....

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up