INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CDDB vs. YADB  (Read 4564 times)

Zaq123Wsx

• nothing more to say...
CDDB vs. YADB
« on: September 29, 2002, 10:08:09 am »

I understand from reading the forums that MJ will use YADB from now on because of the CDDB price increase.  I tried to get more info about YADB from their site, but there isn't much more than a basic intro page there right now. So I have two questions:

* What does/will YADB offer (aside from lower price) that CDDB does not?  Is it an improvement over CDDB, or is it just cheaper?

* If YADB is simply the cheapest option, is there a way for MJ users to pay CDDB separately if they prefer that database?

The bottom line for me (and I suspect for many people) is that I am very willing to pay extra to get convenient features that save time.  I just downloaded the trial version of MJ and was preparing to purchase it when I started encountering CD info problems with YADB and the subsequent lack of CDDB access.  So... if MJ is going YADB-only and this means that I'm going to have to spend a lot of extra time entering CD track info, I'll just spend my money on another music program that uses the larger and more accurate CDDB database...  

Can someone from MJ clear this up for me?  

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: CDDB vs. YADB
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2002, 10:41:47 am »

Along the same lines:

1.  Has anyone at MJ given any thought to using (or providing an option to use) freedb?
Many programs seem to be going to freedb because of the price increase at CDDB.

2.  How does the coverage and accuracy of YADB compare to both CDDB and freedb?  I can't find anything about YADB and its coverage in google.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2002, 10:46:21 am »

Zaq,
CDDB's license did not allow us to offer two solutions.  We originally supported both freedb and CDDB, but we had to drop freedb a couple years ago.

Randy,
This is our implementation based on freedb data.  It is essentially the same data (from about 8 weeks ago) but our version is now cleaner.

Jim

[copied from another thread]

YADB ( http://www.yadb.com ) is our solution, based only on data from freedb.org. All the code that we use is code we wrote.

YADB has more than 600,000 CD's in the database. The success rate is currently 54% and is going up about 2% a week. Many of the failures are compilations made by users.

We replaced CDDB with YADB because they offered us a new contract with a 600% price increase.

YADB still has some minor weaknesess but it is already _far_ more stable than CDDB. We have source so we can fix the problems.

CDDB still works in MJ if you have an existing MJ account for it.

Zaq123Wsx

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 10:55:33 am »

Jim --

Thanks for the response.  However, I still wonder whether the switch away from CDDB was the right move?  

Even if their price went up 6x, if the CDDB system was/is way ahead of YADB I think that many MJ users would have been willing to pay a higher price to cover that increase.  

I'm not sure what % of the MJ price is driven by db costs, and that's where the answer really lies... I think that as long as MJ works well and is priced at <$40 I would buy it.  

But a $25 price with a db that's just not as effective (YADB) -- that I'm not so sure of... just my two cents.

- Zaq

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2002, 11:00:53 am »

>> is way ahead of YADB
J River Created YADB

YADB Is More Stable Since They Have The Souce Code And Can Modify It As Needed.

It Is Not Going To Change, In Todays World Oxygen Is Valuable Don't Waste It.

'Rock Around the Clock' Charted At 39 In 1974

Listening to: 'Rock Around the Clock' from 'The Best of Bill Haley and His Comets' by 'Bill Haley and His Comets' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2002, 11:04:57 am »

Zaq,
Try a search for CDDB here to see the problems that were associated with it.

Jim

RandyR

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2002, 11:23:40 am »

Jim,

Thanks for your response.

I had posted a request for an ETA on using YADB to fill in/update tag info on imported MP3 files - and being able to update more than one file at a time.  I would appreciate a response on that as well.

Thanks.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2002, 11:34:50 am »

I too wish at least at a Min a By File Lookup.

Even If They Do Not Create A Batch Option If The Programing Tools For Plug-In's Were Avail I Would Create A Program To Batch Look Up Audio Files.

'Round & Round' Charted At 12 In 1984

Listening to: 'Round & Round' from 'The Best of Ratt' by 'Ratt' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2002, 11:46:52 am »

By file is coming.  I can't say when yet.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2002, 11:52:30 am »

>> By file is coming.
OK

Thats Fine, Can You Say If You Can Access It From The MJ Programing Tools?

Do You Think MJ\MC Will Have A Batch By File Look-Up?

'Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)' Charted At 01 in 1972

Listening to: 'Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)' from 'The Best of Looking Glass' by 'Looking Glass' on Media Jukebox
Fayetteville, NC, USA

kane5464

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2002, 10:26:20 pm »

The only reason I downloaded media jukebox 8 as it  (I thaught) had CDDB access.  My last mp3 burning program droped CDDB and so I went searching for a new one and the CDDB website said Media Jukebox was a CDDB user.  I have to say that so far YADB is missing lots of CDs that CDDB had.  

I also would pay more for Media Jukebox if it has CDDB.  If it does not, and will not, I'll seek another program in 30 days.

YADB just is not cutting it.

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2002, 07:41:32 am »

Well

A 54% success rates with YADB is not yet a number to be proud of,i agee.

Some styles get a much higgher rates-alternative,indee is at 90+%.Therefore ,other styles get less % .
It is because people using alternative softwares,no "corporate' look alike programs are not really the ones listening to madona,eminen and mtv.
It is the case with people using FreeDB
I do not say they have good taste and the other have bad taste.No taste is not bad taste.........

Now ,if you want to use another program than MJ and another one using cddb,let me know wich one.
Anyway not any of the other big names,because they DO NOT use cdbb

If you still want to use MJ,you can try to put the cd in WinAmp to get the cdbb infos.
After this you will get the infos in Mj as well.
In this case it is a good thing to upload the cd infos to yadb.
For others,but for you as well when playing again the cd.

Some-included myself- are working on the yadb data base,cleaning the double entrys.
With others uploading new cds , in no time we will have a very good and NOT MESSY data base.
Anyway ,it is up to you

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2002, 10:56:33 am »

I am looking at the by track info now. So it should be here soon.

The 54% measures since YADB started a month ago. This includes
a bunch of fluff data (Jimh mentioned the compilation CDs - I fixed
a problem that was decreasing the number of hits - international character
info just returned last week). I'll try to get a weekly counter in to reflect
better info.

For all who think "YADB is just not cutting it": we are actively supporting and improving YADB. It may not cut it today, but tomorrow will be better.

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2002, 11:06:05 am »

well i think YADB is faster than CDDB

once you guys get this all wraped up it would be nice to allow other programers (companies) a SDK to allow them to include this in there programs (for a fee), Plugins for MJ Free (I am thinking of my self again).

this will allow other programs to add to the database and the percent will climb faster.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

michel

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2002, 11:10:45 am »

I don't understand why MJ doesn't stay with freedb. JimH answered some time ago that the licence scheme of cddb doesn't allow freedb in the same time but now, without cddb, why not freedb ?

Most of ripping/player software know freedb, none know yadb. Any concern with freedb ?

NoCodeUK

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2002, 11:37:09 am »

If you read what Jim said above YADB is using freedb data.  Essentially it is freedb but within an application programmed by J River meaning they control their own source code.  Much better if you consider how often they improve issues with MJ.  It means any problems are sorted out within a reasonable time frame.  I thyink it is a better idea and like John said above the db can only get better as people add to it and improve it.  I can remeber a time when the success rate on cddb wasn't much better than 54% but it soon inproved once people started adding to it....

So lets all stop moaning and start adding more data :P  ;D
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

michel

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2002, 11:53:43 am »

I understood yadb started from freedb and has its own life now. It is not a new software using a periodically updated copy of freedb.

To increase a db, it is needed a lot of contributors. I fail to understand how yadb could increase as fast as freedb since it is based on MJ users only.

And I fail to understand why others players/rippers authors would accept to include one more db interface in their software.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2002, 12:15:44 pm »

Michel,
We're aiming at quality as well as quantity.  The database is already cleaner than the freedb database.

Jim

michel

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2002, 12:30:23 pm »

I prefer to correct SOME fields sometimes instead of to have to enter ALL fields OFTEN*.

Again, if there is no freedb (and/or cddb) access included in MJ, you will lost a lot of users as I am convinced that yadb CANNOT increase as fast as cddb or freedb.

*It is not the case right now, of course, as you use a fresh freedb copy but that will become more and more true.

zevele10

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2002, 12:33:41 pm »

Michel

Can you tell me how many cds you find in FreeDB and not in YADB?

I try to upload to Yadb and FreeDB ,and when i do not find a cd in YADB ,90% of the time i do not find it in FreeDB.

Use any payer  using FreeDB or cddb to get infos you cannot get from YADB.
If you get the info,it means the info is in 'cdplayer.ini'.
When you have this info in this folder it means any player will pop up the cd info.

If you put the cd in MJ,you will get the info from 'cdplayer.ini'.
You just have to upload the info to YABD,YOU DO NOT NEED TO TYPE

Anyway,Mj use Yabd,not cddb,not FreeDB,this is a fact,nothing to do about it

Listening to Profan Sundentreibhaus.

Show me where is it in cdbb or FreeDB.
But you may find it in YADB

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2002, 12:45:51 pm »

Hi

YADB or CVDDB I don't care! - I just wish they would be consistent! The most annoying lapse is the spelling of the word disc. As I understand, the powers that be in the UK, and subsequently the USA agreed that disc = compact disc, video disc etc., and disk is for Hard disk, floppy disk.

Seeing Disk1 and Disk2 sets my teeth on edge every time.  :-X

So rarely we have agreement in the UK and USA on spelling, and even pronunciation, I mean who ever heard bunker being pronounced sand trap? ;D

I would have thought those database chappies would have spelling checkers with Search & Replace and could enforce a litle consistency.  :-/

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

michel

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2002, 12:47:31 pm »

Can you tell me how many cds you find in FreeDB and not in YADB?

I try to upload to Yadb and FreeDB ,and when i do not find a cd in YADB ,90% of the time i do not find it in FreeDB.

In my post I said:

It is not the case right now, of course, as you use a fresh freedb copy but that will become more and more true.

Use any player using FreeDB or cddb to get infos you cannot get from YADB.

Fine. I can also use another program to rip and may be also a tag editor to speed up mp3 editing...

Anyway, Mj use Yabd, not cddb, not FreeDB,this is a fact, nothing to do about it.

You mean that I should stop to discuss this topic and be happy even I am not ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2002, 01:09:14 pm »

You mean that I should stop to discuss this topic and be happy even I am not ?

It's time.

zevele10

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2002, 01:12:44 pm »

I do not mean anything.
For sure MJ would stay with YADB

The tips i gave you are a way to use M Jand still get the cd infos,and not to have to type -this is a pain in the ...,sure-

Concerning disc and disk,the Rolling Stones and The rolling Stones or THE ROLLING STONES and any mess like it,they,with some volunters are working on it.

If you do not mind to get THE ROLLING STONE
After-Math genre ;World--year:2002,use other programs.

I am one of the volunter helping to clean and set up YADB--even if i did not do that much until now-
And i correct all.
From Yadb you will get The rolling Stones
Aftermath[us] or [uk] depending of the pressing
genre:Rock  Year:1966.
Much better than FreeDB and million times better than cddb

michel

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2002, 01:36:42 pm »

To be clear:

- I don't take care if it is fredb, yadb or cddb, I just want to get good track information. If yadb becomes a perfect db I will be happy !

- I just cannot believe that yadb can be - on a long term basis - a so complete db than cddb or freedb because it doesn't rely on a large user base to increase. But I can be wrong.

- I ripped 400+ CD using mainly cddb. It was almost perfect (except genre, of course). May be I have been lucky.

Now the big question:

Why do not offer both yadb and freedb ? And better, why do not let MJ check yadb first and, automatically, freedb (and/or cddb) if MJ doesn't find any match ?

Pages: [1]   Go Up