INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.1.56 and Ipod 5G Observations  (Read 2956 times)

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
MC 11.1.56 and Ipod 5G Observations
« on: November 12, 2005, 06:49:36 pm »

Thought this might help other 5G users and future Video development in MC, since I've had some troubles getting both Itunes and MC to work okay. I got things to work by doing the following:

1) Restored my 5G Ipod with the latest Ipod Updater
2) Itunes detected the Ipod and opened up, I unchecked the boxes for automatic update and also unchecked auto open Itunes when IPOD is connected
3) Ejected Ipod, closed Itunes, and opend MC
4) MC detected Ipod, then I downloaded some tracks via MC and ejected Ipod via MC, and Ipod shows the songs correctly.
5) Opened Itunes and reconnected Ipod, Itunes recognized and displayed songs that I downloaded via MC.
6) Download songs and music videos via Itunes, and ejected Ipod from Itunes and closed Itunes
7) Opened MC and reinserted Ipod. MC is happy, so I uploaded some new songs and ejected.

At this point Itunes and MC are okay with whats going on, but there are some issues with the Video playlists. A few notes to consider:

1) Itunes treats 'Music Videos' as Videos under the 'Music Video' category, and also places the track under Music using it's ID3 tags, so that you can play the video with audio only.
2) MC sees the videos as Music tracks
3) When I ejected the Ipod after using MC, it shows all of my music under the 'Music Video' category, and the videos are no longer seen as Videos to the Ipod, and are not playable as Videos, but only songs.

Next I,

1) Opened Itunes, and inserted Ipod. Then I ejected the Ipod
2) The songs are no longer listed in the 'Music Video' category, but the music videos are now classified as 'movies' on the Ipod, instead of 'music videos'

This is interesting, and I can tell will be a bit annoying, although it's not a huge deal

So in order to get the Videos back as Music Videos I had to recopy them in Itunes, and then Itunes correctly modified the video categories and removed the 'music' that MC had added.

Curious to see others experience.

Thanks

razumik

• World Citizen
Re: MC 11.1.56 and Ipod 5G Observations
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 10:39:23 pm »

brickf,

That has been my experience exactly.  I find that it is not a big deal as long as I am not syncing my IPOD a lot.  Once a day or so is fine with me.  I am just happy to be able to use MC and still have access to the Video features.

Dan

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 12:34:01 am »

Okay, glad another has seen the same things. I don't expect I'll have massive amounts of Videos that I need to load, so it shouldn't be a huge deal. Like you I am just happy I can use both programs for now.....

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 03:56:10 pm »

Make me a 3rd person seeing this.  I'm also managing my podcasts throughiTunes (at least until the support has matured in MC11), and it wipes out that category as well.

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 07:45:54 pm »

BTW, Steve, if you'd like to see a 5G iPod's iTunesDB in the following states:

1) Fresh restore of 5G 30GB, initialize in MC, sync over collection (2400 songs)
2) Switch to iTunes, manually copy over one protected AAC (to enable all purchased music), two purchased videos, one home-brewed video, and a few podcasts.

let me know - I've copied them off.

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 07:59:19 pm »

Not to hijak this thread, But......

Those that have the new 5G, can you tell me if the screen on it is more durable, or if it's prone to scratching quickly?

-

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 08:16:47 am »

bdjohns1,

I would like to check those out please. Can you email them?

steve @ jriver.com

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 05:08:25 am »

How does MC handle transfer of movies to the video iPod?

lOth

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 05:24:01 am »

it doesn't. For now...
Pages: [1]   Go Up