INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ETA on WMA 9 VBR Ripping & Converting?  (Read 1317 times)

BipolarONE

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
ETA on WMA 9 VBR Ripping & Converting?
« on: September 29, 2002, 10:58:20 am »

I am now using a Riovolt portable CD MP3 WMA player. And the WMA VBR recordings are very tight. I look to put between 17 and 20 hours of audio on each CD.

I was just wondering when or if MJ will be supporting this format. Thanks in advance. ::)

BipolarONE

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: ETA on WMA 9 VBR Ripping & Converting?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2002, 11:21:28 am »

Bye the way I will be doing some timed ripping comparisons of the 5 diff WMA9 VBRs and MJ MP3 VBR as well as what i can glean from Music Match. I'll post any interesting results.

BipolarONE

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: ETA on WMA 9 VBR Ripping & Converting?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2002, 11:38:11 am »

RESULTS

I settled on the 1st one below. With the runner ups as follows:

WMP9   WMA-9   VBR     50-95   KBPS CD   32Meg  16Min
WMP9   WMA-9   VBR   85-145  KBPS  CD   54 Meg  16Min
MJ         MP3       VBR    Normal            CD  56 Meg   20Min
MJ         MP3       CBR       160    KBPS  CD  69 Meg  14Min

For dependable down and dirty speed with MP3 CBR 160, MJ won out on test accross three CDs and three different CDS. On one test it beat MM and WMP by a minute and a half. This was my favorite format.

For now though seeing as how my portable Riovolt being a huge proportion of my listening use, I am going for the tight WMPer WMA Ver 9 VBR 50-95 kbps. Sound and speed both came into play. The quality was very good without all the high pitched noise from the higher VBR recordings. And for speed in a VBR it beat the MJ MP3 VBR by 30 percent. And of course at less than half the size of my old favorite it was a no brainer.

As for my testing limits I was limited to WMA and MP3 and CDA for my portable. I did lots of other sampling that I wont bore you with as they were easily illiminated. I listened with three sets of headphones as well as home speakers.

I am hopefull Media Jukebox will support WMA-9 VBR soon so I can go back to ripping CDs with it. But no matter how you cut it, I will still be using my registered MJ for most of my needs as it is the most powerful, depenable, and flexible of the better jukeboxes out there. ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up