INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Merged Media Library and Library Browser  (Read 23457 times)

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
Re: Merged Media Library and Library Browser
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2005, 10:19:17 am »

So is using a mouse from 1980 ;)

So why do I have to switch between mouse and keyboard?
Oh, I see, I need to use the hardware you use.

Just let me know in the notes...

JONCAT

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2005, 11:38:01 am »

I cut & pasted my idea into this, you may have to look close for the small splitter tab at the top of the bottom pane, but it sticks out becauase I couldn't integrate it very well. I think having a splitter at the top would be killer so you could max out the screen with album thumbs 100%

Here's a few problems/ideas I am having with/for the alpha.

cheers,
Jonathan

1. Ripping always rips all cd’s in the trays if you have multiple cd drives even if you tell it to rip only one.

2. An option to simply MOVE UP/MOVE DOWN view schemes in the tree so we can actually order them the way we want.

3. Theatre View more intuitive: treat as folders, double click to go in, right click to Play,   Add, Search. Currently, you have to do too many right clicks to get into a view scheme and the wheel mouse won't initially let you scroll unless you tab over to your items or right click and cancel which leaves the item highlighted so you can then scroll. For a Theatre View so much space is wasted with the control buttons on the left which have to be bigger for the thumbs to be larger. Why not just integrate the function in a right click and have double click navigate into folders or even try a pane view that contains track names for the thumb you have highlighted.

4. For PLAYLISTS:

Have an option to define some parameters for each playlist. I have playlists which are both compilations (not-mixed for archival purposes) and mixes (mixed for effect/style)....it would be great to be able to define some burning parameters or even playback parameters for these various playlists.

For example, when I am at home I usually listen with fades (90% of the time). When I go to burn a mix for someone I invariably forget to change the bunring paramters because usually I am burning cd's in gapless or "standard" mode. This leads to the idea that being able to define both playlists or certain albums as "gapless" or "apply fades" etc. would be invaluable. I'm guessing this would have to be an MC function and not tagged to the files/albums.

This would be a really exceptional & progressive feature of MC12; I don't know if it has been mentioned (or how hard it would be to implement) but I'd like to hear what you all think.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2005, 12:10:04 pm »

Some suggestions / ideas after trying out the last version:

2) Single-clicking on a picture should drop one level deeper

3) Double-clicking on a picture should start playing music, video or a slide-show depending on media type

4) Clicking on the title line should open a) kind of a smart tag with all the selections or b) drop one level deeper

6) What about file counting like Outlook instead of a separate line: instead of 34 files, just Title(34)

9) Definitely don't like the fact that when clicking on the picture and clicking on the title nothing happens.

I second these. I particularly liked 2, 3 and I strongly support 4. I agree that this functionality could be added to right-click but i don't find it very user friendy.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2005, 12:28:18 pm »

Ok, so now I get it! Now I get how you the whole navigation thing is multi-directional. I like it.

Thing is, I was looking for a way to do that, and even then it took me a while. I cant see how a new user would get how it works. I was always clicking on one tile and then "files", or, clicking on the drop-down menu each time, which in essance was resetting the filtering.

At the moment, it's easy to remember to select just the tiles you want while you are deciding what to play, but (and this is my biggest criticism of the new system) it's too easy to forget the select all of the tiles in view when you are ready to click on "files". I constantly just select one of the tiles and then click "files" (thinking that everything in view will be shown) only to be surprised and bewildered to see just a small bunch of files in front of me.

I think it would be more intuitive if the tiles didnt have links for each of the "view items". Instead, after selecting one or more tiles, a second drop down menu should appear along the top, which you use to go the next level in, and the same again when you make a new selection. So in essence, those "breadcrumbs" would each be drop down menus.

Any reason why that wouldnt work?
Also, in my last post (on page 2 of this thread) I put up a screen shot showing that the button to the left of the drop down menu is just an exclamation mark for me. I still dont really know what this button is supposed to do, and is it an exclamation mark for everyone else too?

Thanks,
Bri

JONCAT

« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2005, 01:58:46 pm »

Yes, I see the exclamation point as well...I believe it just takes you backl out to your first field right? So if I'm in files I pop out to Genre.

So am I right in a ssuming this "breadcrumbs" idea is the abbreviated letters under each tile. I like the bi-directional activity of this right now but HATE small little links like this. I find it very annoying to have to cue my cursor up to little links like this.

I like the idea of auto-hiding a list that remembers your last 5 choices and tiers them accrodingly like MC can do in the right click menu. That way we aren't right clicking and choosing a command and we don't have to squint to click a tiny letter.

Or what about a return to the buttons above the panes but make them abbreviated....these breadcrumbs are so simple they feel cluttered, since we can select multiple tiles do we really need command/links under each tile???

JC

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2005, 03:07:20 pm »

I think the breadcrumbs are what is shown on top with the arrows which shows your history i.e. breadcrumbs to find your way back without starting over.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JONCAT

« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2005, 03:13:10 pm »

Hansel & Gretel are SO 80's!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2005, 03:16:58 pm »

There'll be an updated version tonight that's a lot better.  It's feeling pretty tight to us.

One big change is that you can show any graphical view (like album thumbnails, etc.) with a file listing below it.  This is something people have been requesting forever.

Cheers.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pank2002

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2005, 03:28:11 pm »

I was supposed to write my social science paper  :(

Thanks JRiver. Looking forward to trying the new build!
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

lOth

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2005, 03:36:09 pm »

Thanks JRiver. Looking forward to trying the new build!

We all saw that. No playing for you tonight. Get back to work now.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2005, 03:38:38 pm »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up