INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: List of synced playlists - Want to see more!  (Read 2102 times)

Tanguero

• World Citizen
List of synced playlists - Want to see more!
« on: December 12, 2005, 02:10:55 pm »

There is one anoying thing in the handheld sync in 11.1: In the window where I define the playlists to include in the sync I can only see 5 lines at a time.  I have a very large number of short playlists included in my sync, and with the present layout it is difficult to get an overview and tedious to re-define my sync when I can only see 4 or 5 lists at the same time.

The best solution would be if the options/handheld window let me open a resizable child window, starting with say 20 lines. If resizable is not possible or not realistic for reasons that I don't see, a fixed sized window could do. In that case, any increase from the present is of course an improvment, but I would need at least 20 lines to feel really comfortable when defining my sync.

I'm using a 40 GB iPod, but I assume the sync window design is generic.

BlueGlow

• Galactic Citizen
  • Absence of alternatives clears the mind nicely.
Re: List of synced playlists - Want to see more!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 02:22:19 pm »

Agreed.
An alternate solution I would like be to just pick a tree folder that always includes all child playlists.
I keep all of my iPod playlists under one "iPod Playlists" tree folder and I often forget to go to options and add a newly created playlist.

Dutch Peter

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Carpe Diem
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 02:29:44 pm »

There is one anoying thing in the handheld sync in 11.1: In the window where I define the playlists to include in the sync I can only see 5 lines at a time.  I have a very large number of short playlists included in my sync, and with the present layout it is difficult to get an overview and tedious to re-define my sync when I can only see 4 or 5 lists at the same time.

The best solution would be if the options/handheld window let me open a resizable child window, starting with say 20 lines. If resizable is not possible or not realistic for reasons that I don't see, a fixed sized window could do. In that case, any increase from the present is of course an improvment, but I would need at least 20 lines to feel really comfortable when defining my sync.

I'm using a 40 GB iPod, but I assume the sync window design is generic.

I was waiting for the fundamental functionality to be stable. And it is, so a very good moment to bring this up. It would very much increase the usabilty.
I fact I find it somewhat strange to find this in the options dialog. I expect to find settings here that stay more or less stable. Like in the lower part of the dialog.
The upper part would ideally be in a separate sizable pop up window.
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers.

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 02:48:06 pm »

Agreed.
An alternate solution I would like be to just pick a tree folder that always includes all child playlists.
I keep all of my iPod playlists under one "iPod Playlists" tree folder and I often forget to go to options and add a newly created playlist.

That is a really good way to solve it too, and I actually want both!

BlueGlow's suggestion would give a very efficient way to handle both playlist groups designed for sync and groups intended for use in MC. It's efficient since the sync preparation could be done by organizing the playlists.

However, I also have playlist group includning both ready-to-use playlist and playlists in an earlier development phase which add nothing to my iPod than more to scroll through.Then the larger window would be useful  as a way to handle a "sync structure" that differs from the tree strucure.

I fact I find it somewhat strange to find this in the options dialog. I expect to find settings here that stay more or less stable. Like in the lower part of the dialog.
The upper part would ideally be in a separate sizable pop up window.

After some confusion, I accepted the place of the sync list definition since it is so easily reachable from the sync window, but agree that the options dialog is a strange place for this from a structural point of view.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 02:56:25 pm »

What about a vertically split view.
On the left all your playlists. On the right the ones that are part of the sync.
It could be managed by Drag and Drop and four buttons:
>, move to sync list
>>, move all to sync list
<, remove from sunc list
<< remove all

Tanguero

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 04:07:30 pm »

What about a vertically split view.
On the left all your playlists. On the right the ones that are part of the sync.
It could be managed by Drag and Drop and four buttons:
>, move to sync list
>>, move all to sync list
<, remove from sunc list
<< remove all

Good suggestion, Dutch Peter! And nice to discuss with you.

On the left side, it must be easy to see whether or not a playlist is included in the sync list whithout comparing the sides. This would give a good overview over both the total sync list and the status for each playlist. And The Drag and Drop should be possible for both playlists and playlist groups so we don't lose the good idea from BlueGlow.

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 08:35:09 am »

I think it is time to give it a shot.

Matt, Jim, SteveG ....?

Dutch Peter

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:19:55 pm »

Guys,
still something for 11.1 or is that getting to close to public beta?
Pages: [1]   Go Up