INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online mp3 Storage  (Read 1966 times)

dNj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.
Online mp3 Storage
« on: December 16, 2005, 08:18:00 pm »

From the creator of mp3.com.  Seems like a great deal $39 per year for unlimited online mp3 storage.  My only hesistation is how long will will users actually have unlimted storage space.

http://www.mp3tunes.com/

Does anyone here use this service?

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Online mp3 Storage
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 06:57:11 am »

Sounds interesting, tho the free service is only 56k to stream. They call this medium vs their premium account that streams at 192k for $40USD annually. Medium ?!? ..more like quarter. 128k would have been decent. Lossless fans you're out of luck (for the moment). Thing that gets me is how well they handle VBR mp3s, whose encoding can sometimes creep over 192k.

I can imagine this service could be quite useful as it has no limits on storage, imagine not having to worry about backup, buying more HD space etc. Just need a fast, low latency broadband connection.

You just have to get over the idea of some one else owning your stuff, the terms to access it are favourable now, but as demand grows...the price for access could rise.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 07:03:01 am »

They Had Something Similar A Few Years Ago Until The RIAA Noticed, And Then There Pockets Was A Bit Lighter.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 07:21:25 am »

Cringley writeup handles that angle quite well King ;)

"If they sue me, they should sue Gmail first," says Robertson. "Gmail gives you two gigabytes of free storage with no access controls -- nothing stopping users from signing up for anonymous account and then loading that up with 2 gigs of music then widely distributing the password. Of course, the same is true for every ISP and general-purpose locker system like .mac, streamload, box.net, etc. If the music industry sues, I will politely point them to the DMCA."

Some user experiences in the linspire forums.

gk666999

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 04:43:19 am »

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing. The only downside I see so far is that if you want to share your mp3's, you'll have to share login/password as well (although it seems like there is a way around it - if other downloaders will log on theirs own free accounts and get files from your 192kb/s m3u stream.
BTW - I saw your profile in Last.fm; I like your taste.
Just started to use that myself. If you have any tips as to tweaking Audioscrobbler to work better (to take in account [Number Plays], for example) - please share.

andrewq

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 08:14:23 am »

The Oboe software that mp3tunes uses for uploads simply doesn't work. I paid the subscription (which you have to do to upload files from your own computer) but haven't yet managed to upload a single file. The software croaks every time while "analysing" my files prior to upload. If you do a google search you will find that this is very common and there are lots of dissatisfied customers. I know it is a beta service ... but they are charging for it. I've asked for a refund and certainly wouldn't recommend the mp3tunes service to anyone at the moment. It is a great idea that is very poorly executed.

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 02:03:35 pm »

The Oboe-software is still beta, so its no surprise. Kind of strange that they released it to the public in this state. Its gona cost them alot of users.

Users is also complaining about slow speeds.

The showstopper for me is the 20mb limit on filesize:( I can not find a good reson for this limitation, and it makes the service useless for me. Too bad cause i was about to order when i found out about this .

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 07:16:04 pm »

For the next week, they're running a special.  You can upgrade to the premium for $20 instead of $39.

Sign up for an account and if you buy an upgrade, use the coupon code "oboepromo".
Pages: [1]   Go Up