INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT? subscribe to a podcast based on itunes podcast ID  (Read 1932 times)

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
OT? subscribe to a podcast based on itunes podcast ID
« on: December 18, 2005, 04:15:01 pm »

I have this link for a video podcast:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=106052352

and it will only lead me to this page where I'm asked if I have iTunes or not. No, I don't have iTunes and I certainly don't plan to. But I'd like my podcast within MC... Any idea how I can figure the proper feed URL based on the podcast id (106052352)?

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: OT? subscribe to a podcast based on itunes podcast ID
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 09:40:30 pm »

Is it listed at Podcast Alley, Ipodder, etc, etc? Podcasters try to be listed wherever possible and one of those sites should have a link that doesn't force you to use itunes.

lOth

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 04:10:53 am »

Is it listed at Podcast Alley, Ipodder, etc, etc?

Nope

Podcasters try to be listed wherever possible and one of those sites should have a link that doesn't force you to use itunes.

Actually, I think we're going to see more and more 'big podcasters' of this kind who work out a deal with Apple and try to force you to use itunes.  >:(

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 07:41:11 am »

Actually, I think we're going to see more and more 'big podcasters' of this kind who work out a deal with Apple and try to force you to use itunes.  >:(

What sort of deal?  I'd think there's an attraction for selling tracks via iTunes, so if you're trying to sell something with your podcast, maybe there's a benefit.  But short of that, what does iTunes offer you by way of a "deal"?

jkrzok

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 08:41:31 am »

I understand a big benefit could be bandwith. Apple/itunes offers TWiT bandwith which Leo Laporte et. al. wouldn't be able to afford on their own. That said, their podcasts are not itunes only.

What is the podcast you're looking for?

lOth

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 09:03:55 am »

it's a video podcast. They are movie trailers from a french website. If you want to have a look for yourself:

http://www.allocine.fr/video/podcast.html

The page says the videos will only work on the iPod (which I highly doubt...) and says nothing about any rss feed being available.

I don't need this podcast that bad, I was just curious to check it out.

As for the kind of deal, it seems to me that it's pretty obvious how both services advertise for each other. On the website side it's "only itunes will work", and on the other side they get a greater visibility from being available in the itunes directory. I believe allocine makes most of its money sending movie info (showtimes, summary, etc) via sms.

jkrzok

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 09:22:43 am »

I wonder also if that feed isn't somehow copy-protected; I would imagine film companies would want to keep a tight control on their product. That might be why it's itunes only. It seems that apple has a protocol (it**://) that only itunes understands.

This brings me to one of my favorite rants: content available only to specific hardware or software. I would have bought a digital radio long ago except that Sirius and XM don't share content. Football on one, baseball on another; I buy one and I miss the other so I don't buy either knowing I'll be unhappy without access to the other.

Where would TV be today if at the outset CBS, for example, was only availble to people that bought Magnavox TVs? And NBC only worked on RCAs?

laurentxp

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 09:07:26 am »

Allociné it's m4v no mp4

laurentxp

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:08:59 am »

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 03:31:45 pm »

I know it's an extra step and it's kind of annoying, but one way to get the address for podcast links that do not resolve is to download and install Juice. It will resolve those iTunes podcast links. You can then copy the link that Juice resolves and paste it into MC's "Add New Feed" dialogue.

Just in case you don't know, Juice is a stand alone podcast aggregator.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up