INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server  (Read 2261 times)

10sne1

• World Citizen
Media Server
« on: September 25, 2002, 08:01:07 am »

I simply do not know what I'm doing!  Yes, I've read the help, FAQ and any threads on this topic.  I start the media server, then click on connect and put in the IP.  I've successfully connected to KingSparta's IP and it worked well but usually I can't.  I get message from downloading screen that says "can't connect to server" and then failed to download library.  Why it has worked sometimes I don't know.  Does it mean the server on his end isn't on when it doesn't work?  So I installed Media Jukebox on my other computer at home....and got it to work!  YEAH!
Then my son at college tried...he can't connect.  I have media server on...sharer ready to accept connections.
My IP is 192.168.0.2:81

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Server
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2002, 08:09:39 am »

That address is an internal network address.  In other words, it is fake, useful only for internal connections.

You need two things.

First is the real IP address that the world knows you by.  Your ISP can tell you or you may find it in your instructions from them.

Second, is that whatever router you have set up must pass packets for the port you choose to this internal address.

You might try the manual or the web site of the manufacturer of your network router.  They should have a lot of info on this.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2002, 08:18:22 am »

I have a dynamic IP.  Do I have to have a static IP for this to work?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2002, 09:22:38 am »

To access it from outside your network, you need to know either the IP address or the full name, for example:

10sne1.att.net

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2002, 07:15:41 pm »

I got it to work.  I think this is way too difficult and needs more documentation for the average computer user.  I realize everyones set up is different but you need more guidance in the HELP for this.  This is an awsome feature -- give more of us regular folks a fighting chance!  Many details missing.  Can this be accessed by more than one person at a time?  Can I access someones elses media server while mine is still accessable?  Will you have an area where people can offer access to their collections?  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2002, 02:41:28 am »

I dont yet use the media server portion at all (send cover art as well and I will :) ) but does it allow a domain name instead of an IP address (previous posts indicate it should) ?? If it does then a simple solution to anyone wanting to keep thier address while using a dynamic IP is to use one of the free systems online that allocates a domain name and does the DNS work for dynamic IP's... These are pretty handy for setting up personal FTP's et al for those who may not have fixed IP addresses from thier provider...

Secondly when accessing media server can I DL and save someone elses files ?? This gets close to the P2P angle in that case and makes me wonder how far MJ wants to go as a company in that vien...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

TimB

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2002, 02:56:30 am »

If it does then a simple solution to anyone wanting to keep thier address while using a dynamic IP is to use one of the free systems online that allocates a domain name and does the DNS work for dynamic IP's... These are pretty handy for setting up personal FTP's et al for those who may not have fixed IP addresses from thier provider...

Secondly when accessing media server can I DL and save someone elses files ?? This gets close to the P2P angle in that case and makes me wonder how far MJ wants to go as a company in that vien...

PP, can you point us to one or two of these services?  I'd love to be able to do this.

MJ8 is limited (sounds better than crippled ;)) in functionality under Media Server, I couldn't find a way to do a straight save.  Of course I could grab the audio pff the sound card but IMHO this is more trouble than its worth.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2002, 04:38:54 am »

I did a search and found an easy service.
http://www.dnsart.com  
I haven't had a chance to try it from a remote location yet, but still unsure how this will work.  Originally I had a difficult time figuring out what PORT to use.  With this name will you still need the port?  I'm not even sure how this would be notated!  I'm willing to learn if anyone has the patience to walk the rest of us through this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2002, 06:10:20 am »

This FAQ on our Music01 Server (now in mothballs but similar to Media Server) might help:

http://www.music01.com/faq.html

> Can this be accessed by more than one person at a time?  

You can set the number of connections.  Three is the maximum.

> Can I access someones elses media server while mine is still accessable?

Yes.

> Will you have an area where people can offer access to their collections?

No.  The legality of that is questionable.  We'll wait until it is clearer.

TimB

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2002, 06:27:35 am »

For anyone who hasn't tried it, Media Server is WAY COOL.  Its so seamless I forget that I'm connected to it and try to do database and hard drive housekeeping.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2002, 07:32:01 am »

Jim, can you help me just one more time?  I have it working through my IP but as I said, it's a dynamic IP.  So, I took the info from above and got myself a DNS which will solve that problem (so I won't have to figure out what my IP is next time I sign on).  My problem is when trying to connect with the name instead of the IP, how do I tell it what port to use?  
For instance would I put  name.home.com:80?  This doesn't work so I guess I've answered my own question...now tell me how to do it right.  Thanks!
On another question -- shouldn't I be able to offer to let you listen to my music?  Is that illegal?  I would think it's fine, especially since you can't download the sound through the media server...just listen.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2002, 08:04:12 am »

That question is covered in the Help section of MJ.

Are you sure the port is 80?  You used 81 before.

Your ISP should be able to help you with the machine name.  Then just add :80 to it.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2002, 09:17:08 pm »

A Link to a Google Search for 'Dynamic DNS'

Pick one... Any one...

Have not used one for a long time as I have been broadbanded for as long as it has been available... I actually moved house from a lovely cotage in the woods in Belgium to an apartment in Holland simply due to broadband access there... Hows that for addicted :D !!
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up