INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Artist (auto) & Album Artist  (Read 973 times)

JONCAT

Album Artist (auto) & Album Artist
« on: January 07, 2006, 12:03:17 pm »

I like the fact that the Album Artist feature can unify various incarations of an Artist like:

Baba Brooks
Baba Brooks & His Band
Tribute To Baba Brooks

Using Baba Brooks as Album Artist.

-however there are two reasons I don't; maybe there is a workaround or this is a bug:

1. Once you assign an Artist to the Album Artist field it makes MC claim that as an album, so your Statistics are wrong. Not a big deal if you don't use that feature, but you'll end up with all these albums that don't exist.

I tried to use Album Artist (auto) & Album Artists fields to label a cd as (Multiple Artists) to retain the actual album in Statistics correctly, but to then unify various incarnations of an artists name, tributes, etc

It would be nice to achieve this. The root of the problem may be that in an Album Artist (auto) view scheme all (Multiple Artists) are tucked away in that section. As soon as you label a track (Multiple Artists) it is no longer available under Artist, but it's source is correctly identified as a Muliple Artists Album.

That's why I never use that type very much, but I now use Panes: Genre>Album Artist (auto)>Artist>Album so I can have the best of both worlds at my fingertips i.e. Multi. Artists stashed or all visible in Artist.

Another example is an album that has 20 tracks by the same artist and the last track is the artist with another artist. I just realized the MC considers this a (Multiple Artists) album, intuitive yes, but for me it's not a Mulitple Artists album, I want to consider it an album by that one artist. 
To me, compilations e.g. "King Size Ska" are multiple artists albums. Very interesting to notice how MC defines this. I have an album where the artist field differs because it is a DJ who is listed as performing with other artists but he is just singing over their rhythms; it is still the DJ's album and not a multiple artists cd:

U Roy & The Paragons
U Roy & The Slickers
U Roy & The Crystalites

So it works only one way, I want may want to define an album with more than one artist as one artist, but if I have a Multiple Artists cd that has tracks by an artist listed under a monniker for example, I can't unify that
artist under one Album Artist (auto) because I'll lose the definition of that album as a Multi. Artist cd in Statistics; I'll under up with literally thousands of more albums than I have.

I thought I could enter one thing in Album Artist auto (Mult. Artists) & then enter the "unifying" artist or word in the Album Artist field but it didn't work on .95 so I just assume I don't understand these fields at all.

Comments welcome,
Dr. C

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Album Artist (auto) & Album Artist
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 12:25:42 pm »

Another example is an album that has 20 tracks by the same artist and the last track is the artist with another artist. I just realized the MC considers this a (Multiple Artists) album, intuitive yes, but for me it's not a Mulitple Artists album, I want to consider it an album by that one artist. 
How bout defining that track with the same artist as the reminaing 19 tracks and in the name part add (with Artist B) ?

JONCAT

Re: Album Artist (auto) & Album Artist
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:34:17 pm »

That's a good idea and in this case I just "gave" the entire album to the one, main artist. I guess if MC could somehow use statistics from the actual Artist field it would fine, but from what I have seen I suspect MC defines albums from the Album Artist (auto) field, but maybe not.

A big problem would be retagging all of my individual files instead of mass tagging the Album Artist (auto) field.

I'm curious to hear if this could be a quick fix if MC is somehow re-directed to retain the actual album info for Statistics.

EDIT = It appears that in grouping Album Artist (auto) field
using an artist (changed from Multiple Artists) has actually removed the file from that compilation. There is now a missing track on the cd. Even stranger, the Statistics display the right number of tracks, but internally MC has actually removed files from the Multiple Artist album and re-assigned them according to Album Artist (auto) and not the Album  filed. If I go the Album pane, it is intact, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the quick navigation into the (Mulitple Artists) menu.

Dang this is confusing, I used to use entire View Schemes for Various Artist locations for good reason.

thanks,
Dr. C
Pages: [1]   Go Up