INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11 and Apple/MAC/Tiger  (Read 10864 times)

joelava

MC 11 and Apple/MAC/Tiger
« on: January 11, 2006, 02:26:05 pm »

What are the plans to put MC on the Apple/MAC/Tiger platform, especially with the newly released intel based systems?

I am a huge fan of MC and am contemplating a hardware move. Would like to continue using the product and minimize database conversions!

THKS
Joelava

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 11 and Apple/MAC/Tiger
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 02:33:56 pm »

Isn't Apple gonna relent and let "windows" run on their hardware?

THought I read it somewhere:  MacIntelTosh
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 03:19:30 pm »

So If you take a Mac box.
And change the Mac Hardware for Intel Hardware.
And then change the Software on the box to Windows....
Haven't you got a Windows Box?!

Sounds to me abit like in fools and horses where "trigger the road sweeper proudly displays a medal to anyone who will look, which he was awarded by the local council for having contributed to the community by using the same brush for the past 20 years. He then proudly holds up the brush and claims "Maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
(Quoted from Wikipedia).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:46:24 pm »

What are the plans to put MC on the Apple/MAC/Tiger platform, especially with the newly released intel based systems?

I am a huge fan of MC and am contemplating a hardware move. Would like to continue using the product and minimize database conversions!

THKS
Joelava
One thing is for certain, Virtual PC which M$ bought out will run much more efficiently on a intel based Mac than on the PPC since there no longer has to be a binary translation.

I think it's kind of comical that Apple which used to say the current gen G5 was twice as fast as the best X86 is NOW saying that the X86 they are going to use is twice as fast as the best G5! hahahaha, good one!

The reality is that IBM stiffed Apple on making a G5 based laptop chip because the amount Apple would order is insignificant to IBM's buisness.
So Apple makes up this "big move to intel" hype to cover their inability to get IBM to make laptop G5's (substituting off the shelf intel chips) and IBM captures all 3 game console CPU orders (PS3, XBOX 360 and Revolution) selling potentially about 40 times as many CPU's as Apple bought.

I've compared tiger on a 2.8g p4 vs a 1.8g G5 and the G5 seems faster to me.

Ah marketing...

joelava

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 01:35:04 pm »

All quotes aside are you suggesting it should run? I was not planning on Apple accomadting MC 11. I was hoping MC would accomadate an ever increasingly popular platform. I've heard that these machines are much better road warriors whose OS does not crash/become corrupted like windows
Thk

Quote from: Mr ChriZ link=topic=31253.msg214931#msg214931

date=1137014370
So If you take a Mac box.
And change the Mac Hardware for Intel Hardware.
And then change the Software on the box to Windows....
Haven't you got a Windows Box?!

Sounds to me abit like in fools and horses where "trigger the road sweeper proudly displays a medal to anyone who will look, which he was awarded by the local council for having contributed to the community by using the same brush for the past 20 years. He then proudly holds up the brush and claims "Maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
(Quoted from Wikipedia).

joelava

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 01:37:16 pm »

So it sounds like you are cautiously optomistic. Thks - I'd still like to hear from MC on their plans to accomadate Tiger.  If not, I-tunes will rule out of ignorance...MC is better!

One thing is for certain, Virtual PC which M$ bought out will run much more efficiently on a intel based Mac than on the PPC since there no longer has to be a binary translation.

I think it's kind of comical that Apple which used to say the current gen G5 was twice as fast as the best X86 is NOW saying that the X86 they are going to use is twice as fast as the best G5! hahahaha, good one!

The reality is that IBM stiffed Apple on making a G5 based laptop chip because the amount Apple would order is insignificant to IBM's buisness.
So Apple makes up this "big move to intel" hype to cover their inability to get IBM to make laptop G5's (substituting off the shelf intel chips) and IBM captures all 3 game console CPU orders (PS3, XBOX 360 and Revolution) selling potentially about 40 times as many CPU's as Apple bought.

I've compared tiger on a 2.8g p4 vs a 1.8g G5 and the G5 seems faster to me.

Ah marketing...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 02:55:29 pm »

If not, I-tunes will rule out of ignorance...MC is better!
Only if you're on a Mac.

So as of v11 they have x users, if they port to a mac they'll have x/10 users more (maybe). Is it worth the cost ?

There is loads of stuff remaining to do with the windows version still.

joelava

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »

I agree - so what's the answer? is it worth the cost/rev oppty/market share? I tend to disagree with the 1/10 users. This Ipod/Nano boom is going to push a lot more to the MAC

Only if you're on a Mac.

So as of v11 they have x users, if they port to a mac they'll have x/10 users more (maybe). Is it worth the cost ?

There is loads of stuff remaining to do with the windows version still.

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 04:44:29 pm »

I don't know the answer either, but I hope they do because I'm buying a MacBook Pro in September. I really hate to lose MC, but if they don't port, then I'll just have to learn to like iTunes. Really hate losing MC though.

Truth is, not even the prospect of Windows Vista has me re-considering my decision to change. Microsoft has built a bit of a reputation when it comes to stability. I personally dont feel like giving them the benefit of the doubt anymore. So I hate to say it. As much as I love MC, I may lose it come September.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 11:39:49 pm »

I don't know the answer either, but I hope they do because I'm buying a MacBook Pro in September. I really hate to lose MC, but if they don't port, then I'll just have to learn to like iTunes. Really hate losing MC though.

Truth is, not even the prospect of Windows Vista has me re-considering my decision to change. Microsoft has built a bit of a reputation when it comes to stability. I personally don't feel like giving them the benefit of the doubt anymore. So I hate to say it. As much as I love MC, I may lose it come September.

I do agree that MAC's are more user friendly in general, but XP is very stable and MAC's definitely are not perfect in that area, that's for sure!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 12:03:24 am »

Mac already has iTunes, that's good enough for the majority of Mac users out there.

Linux..now there is no competitor that even comes close. I'd say x/10 users will be larger than from iTunes on the Mac.

MC is one of those niche apps that makes having the OS worth it. Personally my probs with the platform dropped sharply with win2k.

How many ppl have moved to the Mac because of the iPod ?
As far as i can tell XP was the last consumer OS that came out about the time of the iPod. 5 yrs without a new OS. During which time Tiger appeared and is in the lead. Vista will rediuce that lead.  There seems to be lots of cons out there for it atm, but when the time comes it won't be as bad as people think. I'm holding out on a new PC upgrade till i'm certain it can handle Vista.

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 04:54:15 pm »

I do agree that MAC's are more user friendly in general, but XP is very stable and MAC's definitely are not perfect in that area, that's for sure!

Thats true, however, it is a well known fact that a Mac box crashes much less often and much less severly than a Windows box. It's not that Macs never crash, its just that when they do, its not to the earth shattering point like a Windows box often does.

I worked on a G5 for about 4 months and not one time during those 4 months did I ever experience a crash. I also have a friend who just bought a iBook back in Nov '04 and he says the only thing thats every crashed on his was Safari, outside of that its been as solid as a rock.

My main reason for switching however, is, along with stability, their notebooks are just much more solidly built. Plus the fact that I don't do much outside of word processing and audio/visual stuff anyway, so my main uses are geared right towards a Mac. Plus theres the added security of knowing that if someone picks up your notebook and wants to get nosey that chances are they wont be able to get very far because all they've ever used is a Windows box.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 04:55:14 pm »

A lot of audio-lovers use Macs -- those of us that were trained on ProTools in the old days, for instance, where often using Macs for audio work even when we had PCs at home... So I think there could be a decent Apple/Mac audience out there for that would love the JRiver Media Center... if you could get them to give up the slick-looking and free iTunes....

Although I'm primarily a Windows guy, I'd like to see JRiver offer a Mac-installer for their Media Center due to three reasons: One of the computers in my house is a new Macbook Pro; one of my computers at my work is a desktop Mac; and 50% of my friends in NYC are now on Macs .... I'd love to run my Mac-loving friends into JRiver MC users, and for those few hours a week when I have to use a Mac, it'd be swell to have MC running instead of iTunes, but I'm not gonna pay $150 for an extra copy of the Windows OS along with $80 for Parallels/Bootcamp/Etc. for the privilege... 

Well, I would if I had the cash, but in the meantime....

Actually, if JRiver were to hop on the AJAX train and develop it's own (open source?) web-based Media Center -- a la the "Songbird" program but with the full power of MC -- that'd solve the problem, wouldn't it? We'd be able to hop onto MC from any computer anywhere... Of course, they'd need to figure out a profit-model to go along with it, but it seems like this is a future (Firefox, Gmail, Google Documents, Songbird...).... should get on it....!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 10:37:01 pm »

Actually, if JRiver were to hop on the AJAX train and develop it's own (open source?) web-based Media Center -- a la the "Songbird" program but with the full power of MC -- that'd solve the problem, wouldn't it?
Let us know how responsive your AJAX app beomes when it has thousands of albums to deal with :) for anything less, it might be workable. That's one of the major attractions with MC, speed with large collections.

As for the comparisons with other webified apps, realise that MC is still very much a single user app, it cant handle multi-user updates yet.

If you are so bent on having MC in the mac, just remote desktop to a XP Pro PC from it, you will have all the functionality *now*.
Pages: [1]   Go Up