INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tags Problem and Feature Requests  (Read 1558 times)

UltraV

• nothing more to say...
Tags Problem and Feature Requests
« on: June 25, 2003, 11:52:26 am »

I have a problem in MJ 8 where it doesn't show correct tag information.  Using XP Explorer, Tag & Rename, Winamp, WMP 9, and MMJB, I can see all tags as correct. I use Tag & Rename to ensure all v1 and V2 tags are synched up.  I recently began using MJ as my full-time all-in-one app, hoping to eliminate most, if not all others.

I used to use MMJB and so most of my rips are from that.  I know MMJB doesn't use standard tags, so I used T&R to get everything correct and standard.  Well, I imported the whole library of over 6000 songs into MJ and noticed these oddities.  Any reason?  Any fix?  I don't want to have to redo all of my tags yet again, in yet another app, esp when every other app sees the appropriate info except MJ.

For instance, I have soundtrack CDs.  I changed the artist from "Original Soundtrack" to the appropriate one.  It shows up correct in all other apps.  I import it into MJ and it will still show "Original Soundtrack."  So my MJ library is littered with "Various" and "Original Soundtrack."

Under Plugins>input>configure I have both set to save/ create and unchecked "Ignore ID3V2 during analysis."  I deleted the files and reimported them.

Also Feature Requests

1) It doesn't recognize the difference between "greatest hits" from say, The Jam & The Doors.  If the title was "Greatest Hits" it lumps all of those files under 1 tree.  I can understand the confusion but WMP 9 sorts them intelligently.  It seems to recognize "greatest hits" as a generic title and append the artist name to the album name in brackets and sorts it as 2 separate albums.  I seem to remember Real had this feature, but not 100% sure.

2) In the alphabetical sorting, 1 feature I love in WMP 9 is the way it alphabetically sorts artists.  It ignores "The" in an artist's name.  This is important since some albums are cddb'd as say, The Doors, and others as Doors.  If you aren't aware of this, you may be spend unnecessary time trying to find the other albums from the same artist.  Is it "The Screaming Trees" or "Screaming Trees?"  Besides, this is the appropriate way to alphabetize. It's just one of those little deals that you don't realize are great until you miss it.

Thanks,
All around great job

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tags Problem and Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 11:55:05 am »

MJ 8 where it doesn't show correct tag information.

that was noted about 1 year ago when MJ8 was released.

MC9 released 2 months ago fixes this.

is the way it alphabetically sorts artists.

yes

It seems to recognize "greatest hits" as a generic title and append the artist name to the album name in brackets and sorts it as 2 separate albums.

is it that way on the Album?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

UltraV

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 12:24:20 pm »

is it that way on the Album?

Depends on the way you asked it,
WMP 9 in the album sort it is.  Looking at the tag itself, no change has been made.
In MJ the album sort lists them all under one lumped "greatest hits"

WMP 9 does a lot of work in the background, some of which is welcome, much of which isn't.  It seems like it re-cddb's everything whether it has a tag or doesn't.  Not sure if this is part of that or not.

As far as being "fixed in MC 9."  I just paid the other day for MJ 8 (ultravires@lvcm.com).  Not being a user a year ago, I wasn't aware of this problem and I only sorted the forum search yesterday back 3 or 4 months.  So I will have to pay for MC 9 to not have to redo the tags manually and have it recognize the way every other media app uses them?  Why bother selling MJ 8 with old problems?  

I can't say that in any way that's not going to sound sarcastic.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 12:56:31 pm »

I can't say that in any way that's not going to sound sarcastic.

Your Attempt failed, nice try thou

however i think they are still selling it because MJ 9 Is not ready for release (if they are going to release it).
Fayetteville, NC, USA

UltraV

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 04:21:16 pm »

Without the tags being 100% accurate, a Jukebox is dead.  

No hope of a fix for a year old problem then?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 04:32:53 pm »

well if they do release MJ 9 normaly in the past a user with a license for lets say MJ8 could upgrade 1 version free.

the problem is they have not anounced that they will indeed release MJ9 only some small talk from the CEO a few months ago stating they would release MJ9. all requests for info since then have been responded with white noise.

maybe is all I can tell you.

MC9 has more options like TV and video support and works much better than MJ 8 for sure.

MC9 has a built in dup finder also

I also have created about 4 or 5 free plugins dealing with

Chart Finder (looks at your music and finds it on like 5 charts than allows that chart info saved to your comment field or other field of your choice)

Lyrics Finder, finds lyrics from 10 lyrics sites, and save the lyrics in the lyrics field

bios finder that will search the internet for artist bios and save them in the bios field

cover art finder that does a better job than the built in Cover art finder. it found like 12,000 more cover art pics than MJ8 or MC9 would do for my music collection (about 24,000 mp3s)

Chart Grabber that will find the current and past charts for billboard and the UK and put them into an excel database for you. you can also select one in the list and it will copy all the info into the clipboard for use when searching for this info in P2P and other search utilities.

Bios and Lyrics editor (guess what they do)

all free with MC9
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up