INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone Tried "yourmusic.com"?  (Read 4833 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Anyone Tried "yourmusic.com"?
« on: January 21, 2006, 04:38:50 pm »

I'm thinking of buying CDs from these guys.  Their prices are among the lowest, and their selection seems fairly broad.  Only I can't figure out the commitment involved here.  Are they a record club?  Can I cancel?  Do I always get to choose my CDs? And will they always be $5.99, which is the whole point of buying from them?

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: Anyone Tried "yourmusic.com"?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 09:00:51 pm »

I've been using them for nearly a year now, and I assure you that it is the "real deal".  YourMusic.com is simply a new form of marketing music from Sony/BMG.  All of the discs come from the distribution center here in Greenville, SC.  I used to work there 10 years ago, so I know a little about the process. As you may know, BMG Music Club and Columbia House Music Club would send you the "selection of the month" unless you declined it.  Hundreds of 1,000's of these discs would go out every month, but a large percentage of them would be returned, and they would be stuck for paying shipping costs both ways.  They soon realized that people would prefer to get only the music they selected, so they devised the Netflix-style "queue", in which you place all of your most-wanted discs.  (Mine currently has more than 120 discs in it).  There is no commitment other than the fact that once you sign up, they will charge your credit card $5.99 plus tax per month until you cancel your membership, (regardless if there are any discs in your queue or not).   Also, at any time, you can order an unlimited number of discs at the same price of $5.99 per single disc, $11.98 for doubles, and so on; all with free shipping!  You can even send them as gifts, with a message printed on the invoice.  YourMusic.com has 15,000 titles to choose from, so you have nothing to lose, and it sure beats the heck out of buying low bitrate files from the iTMS.

Pros:
  • All single discs are only $5.99 - that's cheaper than buying used!
  • Shipping and handling is always free
  • 15,000 titles to choose from
  • Huge savings on multi-disc titles, Deluxe Editions and boxed sets
  • Most discs do not have those crappy anti-theft stickers on the spine
  • DualDiscs and Hybrid SACDs available for the same price
  • Send discs as gifts with free shipping

Cons:
  • You may have to wait 3-4 months for them to carry "new releases"
  • Most discs do not have standard UPC codes, but rather BMG inventory bar codes
  • There's no way to add multi-disc titles to your queue or a wishlist

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 05:44:28 pm »

Went there, looked around. Found one I liked that I didn't have and signed up. In short order, I had two years worth in my queue.
Impressive selection. It's worth a look around ... unless you're skeered. (Southern US for "scared")
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 09:34:48 am »

To bad it's only for the states....

Subscription Availability: Subscriptions to yourmusic.com and shipment of yourmusic.com CDs are limited to the U.S. and its territories and possessions.
-

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 02:29:19 pm »

Be very aware of the stipulations in their end user agreement. I ended up purchasing 3 copies of the Bob Dylan SACD Box Set that was released last year because the price was so good - one for myself and two to give away as gifts. A couple of months later I received a very terse email from Yourmusic.com's <ahem> Customer Service department. Apaprently because of my Dylan Box Set purchases, they accused me of buying merchandise for "resale purposes" (which violates the agreement) and informed me that my membership was cancelled effective immediately. Despite an offer from Yourmusic.com in this email to contact them with any questions, repeated emails from me explaining the situation were never answered and multiple phone calls to Customer Service (which always ended in voicemail) were never returned. My membership was never reinstated and I never had the opportunity to plead my case because the company refused to engage in a dialog with me.

So, my experience with Yourmusic.com was less than good. If my troubles are any indication, I hope that no one ever has a billing issue with them that needs resolution.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 04:23:49 pm »

Well, I can certainly understand their point of view, but then again you only purchased 3 copies.  If you were buying dozens of them, then that would be a different story.  I guess they gotta draw the line somewhere.  While most of the discs have the "record club UPC" on them, and none of those annoying spine stickers, some of them are exactly the same disc you would buy at retail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up