INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod does not detect Smartlist when syncing again  (Read 2080 times)

bennyd

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Project Leader
iPod does not detect Smartlist when syncing again
« on: January 26, 2006, 01:45:06 pm »

I have in MC a smartlist that shows the not played songs. This playlists is synced to my iPod nanao.

When resyncing my iPod with MC, the playlist is updated in MC with the songs excluded I've played on my iPod, which works very nice.

But this playlist on my iPod is not updated unless I add/remove a file to sync on my iPod.

It seems that the iPod doesn't detect that the Smartlist in MC has changed unless I add/remove a file.
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: iPod does not detect Smartlist when syncing again
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 04:20:32 pm »

After information comes back from a handheld, the sync is calculated and smartlists are run using the new information.  That makes the whole process one step. (hook up iPod, press "Sync")

I can't reproduce any glitches using the latest MC 11.1.  Any tips?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 03:19:33 pm »

Ok, these are my actions:

- I created a custom field called "Played On" that contains the Last Played dates of a file in the following format : yyyyMMdd (eg 20060128)
I created a playlist "All" which contains 500 songs to be put on my iPod nano
- I created a smartlist "Not listened yet" that contains the files of the "All" playlist with an extra rule "Played On" where I check the dates to be excluded from the list.
    Like this : -[Played On]=[20060127]
- In total 500 files are to be put on the iPod, the smartlist "Not Listened Yet" contains 440 songs, "All" contains 500 songs
- I connect my iPod to MC
- I click on "Sync", all 500 files from the smartlist & playlist are put on the iPod
- I play 5 files on my iPod on the 28th
- I connect my iPod to MC
- The played dates, ratings etc. are updated into MC
- I change the smartlist "Not Listened Yet" in MC to exclude the songs that are played on the 28th
   -[Played On]=[20060127],[20060128]
- The smartlist is perfectly refreshed in MC and contains now 435 songs
- I click on sync
- I still have 500 files on my iPod which is ok because of the "All" playlist
- The smartlist "Not Listened Yet" has not changed on my iPod and still contains 440 songs

Has it maybe something to do with that I have the "All" playlists to sync together with the "Not Listened Yet" smartlist so that the total amount of files to transfer has not changed but only the content of the smartlist ?

If I add or remove a file from the playlist "All", the smartlist "Not Listened Yet" correctly updates on my iPod.
If I do not change the "All" playlist, the smartlist does not update on the iPod.

I hope this is clear

Thanks,

Benny (using build 108)

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 12:37:00 am »

Still the same problem with build 109

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:06:08 am »

I believe this is the same playlist-only sync problem I've been describing for a while now too (in build/release threads).  Seems to all work if you have to sync (upload) a file (not just playlist changes).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 10:03:26 am »

MC calculates a sync once.  If playlist or file info changes, the sync isn't automatically recalculated.  It's almost impossible to automatically recalculate the sync since any file info change could cause a smartlist to change results.  However, rerunning smartlists can cause unexpected results because of "100 random files" type smartlists.

Next build will add a "Recheck Sync" button to the top of a handheld view.  You'll need to click it after making manual playlist or file info changes if you want MC to recalculate what should be in the sync.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:22:33 am »

Next build will add a "Recheck Sync" button to the top of a handheld view.  You'll need to click it after making manual playlist or file info changes if you want MC to recalculate what should be in the sync.

Ok, but this doesn't sound like it'll fix the problem where MC knows it has playlist data only to sync and let's you hit the Sync button and then does not sync (upload) the playlist changes (you can hit Sync over and over and nothing happens).  You have force a file to be uploaded (like delete it off the handheld and let MC figure out that a file needs to be uploaded too).

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 03:51:12 am »

is fixed (for me), thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up