INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APE rip won't stop on one particular song  (Read 1135 times)

Tom Treadway

APE rip won't stop on one particular song
« on: September 08, 2002, 05:15:01 am »

I've ripped a few hundred songs and I've hit a wall with one - Aerosmith's 9 Lives CD, Fallen Angels (last song on the disk).  The
progress bar goes all the way to the right, the file size stops increasing on the disk and then nothing happens.  It just never finishes ripping, and the CD isn't being accessed.  I can play the song just fine from the CD.  Any clues?

Thanks,
TT

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:APE rip won't stop on one particular song
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 05:22:56 am »

No idea, but try switching the CD playback from digital to analog just for that track.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Tom Treadway

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2002, 05:38:50 am »

Wow!  Quick response.  Thanks!

Unfortunately switching to analog didn't help.  BTW, I tried ripping to WAV and it had the same behavior, i.e., it stopped progressing at 99.9%.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
TT

Tom Treadway

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2002, 05:39:40 am »

Hey, I just switched from Digital Secure to Digital Large Buffer, and it worked!

phelt

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2002, 09:51:46 am »

I've had a similar problem with a few CD's, ripping with EAC in secure mode. Last track reports errors at the very end of the track, track quality is reported as very low. After reripping the problem tracks to WAV, I examined them in a couple of audio editors - no waveform strangeness, no errors reported.

I'm not an expert on Red Book, but I wonder if this is due to an improper close-session marker or something of the sort, on the part of the person making the CD master.

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2002, 10:14:37 am »

On a very old CD-ROM drive I had, the exact behavior you describe would occur on "enhanced CDs." The last audio track would take forever to rip, and often it would have an incorrect time stamp.

Tom Treadway

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2002, 04:16:25 pm »

As a matter of fact, this is an enhanced CD.  Then again, I've had other enhanced CDs work.

Tom_Treadway

• Don't taunt Happy Fun Boat!
Re: APE rip won't stop on one particular song
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 05:56:25 pm »

I'm having the same problem on another CD - Jimmy Buffet's "Live - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturdays".  On this one I've tried disabling Digital Extraction, I've switched from Digital Secure to Large Buffer, and I've tried saving in several different formats.  The rip creates a file of about the right size for this song, but it never completes, and the file is useless.  Any ideas?

Tom_Treadway

• Don't taunt Happy Fun Boat!
Re: APE rip won't stop on one particular song
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2002, 05:22:52 am »

Interesting.  I've had this problem with several CDs.  They all fail on my SCSI and my IDE CD player, both in the same machine.  But they all rip just fine on my laptop.  Seems like it may be a configuration problem on my machine, not a problem with the CDs or the CD players.
Pages: [1]   Go Up