INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC crashes with FLAC  (Read 2825 times)

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
MC crashes with FLAC
« on: February 05, 2006, 05:31:33 pm »

NEW USER, so bear with me

I have tried most of what I can think of to correct this problem with no luck. Any help will be soooo appreciated!

Problem:
MC crashes while playing FLAC files when advancing to next track with player control.
I can advance about 3 tracks, then it happens. But it's not always 3, sometimes 1, sometimes 5 at most.
This problem does NOT occur when letting MC continuously play FLAC files  (it will run ok for hours)
This problem does NOT occur when playing mp3's at all.

I am running MC ver.11.1.113
All my FLAC files were ripped with FLAC Frontend ver.1.7.1 with all default settings.
I am using Scot Thompsons FLAC plug in set.
Encoder ver.1.5 and Decoder ver.1.4

Things I have tried:
Removed all third party plug in's (except FLAC plug in) -
Uninstalled MC, removed all JRiver Registry entries and reinstalled MC with all default settings. Installed FLAC plugins once again -
Tried ripping cd in MC with Thompsons encoder for test and re ripped cd once again with FLAC Frontend. Same resaults with both -
I have check my system inside and out and have run plenty on test on it...... memory, hard drive, and so on.

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem or even if it should be expected with FLAC. I was unable to find anything threw forum search.
Will be happy to post my system info if needed.....I am hoping it's just something small and stupid that I am doing.

TIA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC crashes with FLAC
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 05:46:08 pm »

No idea.  It might be worth trying the previous version of the decoder:
http://members.cox.net/scot.thompson/decoder.html

Also, try switching MC's playback options between Wav Out and Direct Sound.  It could be a sound card driver problem.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 07:03:24 pm »

OK I tried using Scot's 1.3.0 version with no luck.

I tried switching playback output mode to Wave out. Also used Wave mapper for output mode setting  (Was set to Direct Sound using Primary Sound Driver.) with no luck.
I had actually tried switching these around and tried all of the settings in here with version 1.4 (sorry forgot to mention)

Tried Oblong's Input plug in with playback settings set back to Direct Sound and Primary Sound Driver.
Now i don't have any problems! Hummm?

I will have to say, even that things seem ok (I a played around with it for awhile) I still not sure if the plug in is the problem.
When you mention Sound card driver problems.....I have had many in the past (SoundBlaster Audigy)
My Audigy is getting a little old....much older than my system. I will be upgrading soon and will try Thompson's plugins again at that time
Until then ....I'm happy!
Thanx for your help.

scthom

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 09:40:33 pm »

I'll put it on my list of things to do  :)

Probably something to do with cancelling the decode before it's fully initialized.  I assume you are skipping rather quickly?

Seeking within a track works for you?

If you pause a second and then hit next will crash or does it work?  Example: next - pause - next - pause - next.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 10:59:41 pm »

Yes you are right, it is because of quick switches! (actually my girlfriend has the quick finger) :)

Ok I'm back to your plugin.

Seeking within a track is fine...no problems.

Pause, next, pause, next is allot more stable. I had to do 40 switches before it crashed. Tried this several times with same results.

Tried switches at the 10 sec mark -  this also was stable...in fact it didn't crash!
Tried the 5 sec. mark - this is where it starts crashing. 3 or 4 switches to get crash.

Just to rule out my system, if any other FLAC users could try duplicating this problem and post results..... I think it would be a great help.
Although Oblongs plugin does not seem to have the same effect.

Why do I use FLAC?
Cause i don't Monkey around! ..........Plus they have cool teeshirts  :D

scthom

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 09:10:44 pm »

Thanks for checking.  I think I know what the problem is and I'll try to fix it while I'm in there poking around with the JRReader and the Library Server issues.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 09:47:02 pm »

Great! I'll keep an eye out for any updates. No hurry!
Thanks for all the FLAC support!
I wouldn't have stayed long without it!

scthom

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 08:09:22 pm »

I was trying to reproduce your error, and found that I could crash it with clicking next a few times quickly.  Slower clicking once a second would not cause a crash at all.  Couldn't get it to happen with mp3 and wma decoders, so I think it may be a flac plugin problem.

However, I rewrote the part I thought it might be and it wasn't.  The crashes are less frequent, but I still got them.  Then I thought it might be running out of memory (the error I get is "At address 0xffffffff the memory at 0xfffffffff could not be read").  So I tweaked the memory handling and it still did it.  So I'm still working on it.  :'(

On the other hand, anyone who was interested in the Library Server part is probably thinking good thoughts because the rewrite with the JRReader appears to be working fine.  When I get these crashes ironed out a new version is in the works.  ;D

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 10:00:27 pm »

Roger that![/b][/glow]
Pages: [1]   Go Up