INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where did Library go?  (Read 2864 times)

Shiny J

• Recent member
Where did Library go?
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:49:28 pm »

Have I missed something? I can no longer see Library in my organisational tree?

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC11.1 Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 12:59:06 pm »

Nope, "Library" has been removed. They are now all listed as

Audio
Images
Video
etc
-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 01:11:35 pm »

Have I missed something? I can no longer see Library in my organisational tree?

You may want to check this thread out:

How-to: add All Media & CD database to the tree
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Shiny J

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 01:21:56 pm »

Many thanks Alex - I appreciate the prompt reply.

I can't see from your instructions however how get the Library icon back in the tree. After installing the latest upgrade the icon has disappeared and my view has changed - I can't get that back the way I had it either. (Icons with Artist/Album to the right of the icon)

Mods - Apologies btw the way for hijacking the thread - if I should repost this elsewhere please let me know.

Shiny J

• Recent member
Re: Where did Library go?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 01:39:23 pm »

Sorry Iamjustagamer - not sure how I missed your reply first time round?

But we had that option before did we not? I don't understand why it's been taken away - does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 01:59:54 pm »

So you got a new thread.  ;)

I can't see from your instructions however how get the Library icon back in the tree. After installing the latest upgrade the icon has disappeared and my view has changed - I can't get that back the way I had it either. (Icons with Artist/Album to the right of the icon)

I don't quite understand what you mean. Could you try to explain what exactly you had previously and what is missing now?

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Shiny J

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 02:17:58 pm »

Hey again Alex

The Library icon is no longer in the organisational tree in the left hand column - from what I now understand this is a change to the program - what was the idea of that?

Secondly, the view I used to have was tabbed - Genre/Artist/Album/Files and the relevant thumbnails would appear below with number of albums/files etc. I cannot retrieve this view since upgrading.

I will apologise if these are bleeding obvious questions - I doubt I know my way around MC half as well as your regular forum members - but I'd like to get it back to my previous settings as this was something I was very comfortable with.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 03:19:08 pm »

These threads have information about the changes:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30574.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30641.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=30774.0

I think you can get your view schemes back, but you need to experiment a bit with the various options.

Shiny J

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 05:01:47 pm »

Hi again Alex

Thanks for your continued help.

I am not an advanced user of this program, I probably use it at it's most basic which is to store and listen to my library of music. I configured it through trial and error until I found the settings most suitable to my needs and I was happy to pay my $40 on the basis of that.

If anyone can offer help it would be greatfully appreciated........  ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 05:05:22 pm »

Click "Audio" in the tree.  Then move your mouse over the word "Panes" at the top left of the view.  Pick ""Genres" or "Albums" to get the view you used to use.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Shiny J

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 07:49:59 am »

Thanks Matt but it doesn't work.

I assume that Panes is a new feature too? I've not seen it before or at least never had it as part of my view previously.

It doesn't appear that the issues are going to solved with this release - does anyone know if it's possible to reinstall the previous version?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 07:53:52 am »

You can install any version that you want.  Then import again.

You should uninstall MC11.1 first.

Shiny J

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 08:08:42 am »

Thanks Jim - I will get on to that.

I've tried to find a contact name for J River to contact them about this but the only thing I've found is the name of the VP of marketing - does anyone know who I should refer a complaint to?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 08:30:08 am »

This is the JRiver support forum.

There are many people here happy to help, but we need more details about what the problem is.  Your patience would help everyone.

MC 11 had "Media Library" and "Library Browser".  The functionality of both of these is fully preserved in MC 11.1.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Shiny J

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 08:44:35 am »

Thanks again Matt

I understand already from the patient assistance of you and your colleagues that people are here to help.

If the problem I have described is not clear then I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it, I have MC installed on two other pc's but at different locations and I cannot get a screenshot right now to show you but I hope from my previous description you will understand what features I no longer have.

I don't think I've been impatient but please correct me if I am wrong. My grievance is simple; I paid good money for a program and now without my knowledge or any notification given the functionallity has been changed. I therefore no longer have the same interface as the version I paid for. I understand completely that development is good for all users but my gripe is why take away features without a) justifying it (no reason has been offered) or b) notifying an everyday user who may not be a forum regular.

The fact I have now been inconvenienced by the fact that consideration was not given to how the changes would affect ALL users. I have a complaint because I bought a product that no longer has the same specifications and no clear indication was offered that the upgrade would REMOVE features.

I'm at a loss to understand how someone thought this was a good idea?? Sure, add as many features as you want but don't take things away!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 08:46:26 am »

Thanks Jim - I will get on to that.

I've tried to find a contact name for J River to contact them about this but the only thing I've found is the name of the VP of marketing - does anyone know who I should refer a complaint to?

JimH is the CEO and Matt is one of the software engineers. So you have an open dialog already.  ;)

I assume that Panes is a new feature too? I've not seen it before or at least never had it as part of my view previously.

The "Panes" feature is not a new thing. I think it was introduced in MC 9.1.

After re-reading this thread I think you miss the previous "Library Browser" function.

Everything it had and a lot more is included in MC11.1. The functions are combined in the standard file browser.

Only thing that is not included is the graphical "tab buttons" row on the top of the view. The buttons are now textual, because that makes them more adjustable. You can add your own custom tabs by editing the current view scheme. Previously it had only the pregonfigured Generes/Artists/Albums/Files tabs. JRiver is rewriting the program help file and I hope the new system will be explained well.

Please try to read the few posts in the threads I linked that especially explain the changes. The threads contain a lot of posts that do not help you, but you could try to skip those posts.

Since the MC11.1 upgrade is free for MC11.0 customers and no one is obligated to upgrade I don't think there is much to complain about, but I sincerely hope that you can find out how the new system works before making a decision (you can always install MC11.0 back).  In my opinion the new browsing system is the best improvement in MC11.1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up