INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - My Speakers Died Today  (Read 3483 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
OT - My Speakers Died Today
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:12:42 pm »

I came home today and my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 set of speakers was dead.  Would turn on but no sound.

They worked last night just fine.  Went to bed, went to work, came home and no sound.  Headphone jack still works, but the amp must have blown out.  They've been working perfectly for a year though, and I really love them.  It also looks like from the forum on Klipsch.com that it will probably take a few months for the repair to be finished.  Argh!  At least they're still under warranty (barely, I bought them on Feb 23rd 2005 and they have a 1 year warranty).

I'm just complaining, but still...  First my main PC's motherboard, now this.  Not a good month for hardware.   >:(
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

Re: OT - My Speakers Died Today
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 09:53:57 pm »

O h man.....R.I.P. poor Klipsch.

Sorry for the streak of bad luck mate, maybe this is a sign for the big Klipsch upgrade!

Dr. C

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:18:34 pm »

Maybe, if I hadn't just done my big videocard and motherboard update in response to the previous problem.  Besides, I've been extremely happy with my Klipsch system.  For the price it beats like red-headed step-children any competing system for what I need (of course, only when it works, as opposed to now when it would be a fairly over-engineered boat anchor).

JONCAT

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:49:49 am »

I agree Klipsch is the bomb; I am using RF-7's that a miracle provided;  hopefully your ProMedias are still under warranty.

Dr. C

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 12:05:37 pm »

Motherboard + speakers dead...

..dodgy power ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 01:58:57 pm »

Yeah, I would think that too, but I haven't really lost anything else.  Plus, the speakers were plugged into a fairly high-end APC UPS (a SmartUPS 1000) which really should have handled any line conditioning problems.  Plus, the RAID system on the HTPC is very suceptible to power fluctuations (which is why I got the APC) and if it had lost power even a little it would have had to rebuild the array.  Everything else was fine on that same circuit though!  I did see some reports of similar problems on the Klipsch Forums, so maybe I just got a flakey one that finally died....

The motherboard isn't completely dead, but the voltage regulator is bunked (the 3.3v rail which powers the PCI/AGP slots is only feeding about 2.1v).  I looked it up (after the fact of course) and apparently that Gigabyte board is somewhat notorious for that problem.  Plus, the occurrences were separated by about two months, and nothing else on the circuit with the Speakers (or the motherboard) seemed to have blown.

Who knows though.  Luckily, both are still covered under warranty.  I'm definitely looking at investing in another APC unit for my main PC, and maybe I'll look for a Power Line Conditioner as well.  It just seems silly to buy a $300 power line conditioner to protect a $360 stereo system (of course the HTPC it would also protect certainly isn't only $360 though).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 02:33:36 pm »

I'm thinking about getting one of the two of these:

Panamax Max 5100

-or-

Monster Power HTS3500MKII

I hate getting anything from Monster, but it is a $100 cheaper than the Panamax.  Either one would really probably be overkill, but both would be a lot cheaper than getting a second APC UPS to protect both of my machines.  Does anyone have any experience with the Monster conditioner?  I know the Panamax will be good, but...

Pages: [1]   Go Up