INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound dropouts  (Read 1482 times)

Teaflax

• Recent member
  • Media hedonist
Sound dropouts
« on: June 22, 2003, 10:58:57 pm »

Media Jukebox is one of the most wonderful tools I have found for organizing and arranging my MP3s, but I have some serious dropout problems, which I have not experienced wih any other MP3 player (and some of these files have been with me over four computers and two OSes).

No, it's not a processor issue, I'm running a PIV at 2,4 GHz. I have an Audigy soundcard, which I *think*, not being an expert in that field, should be more than adequate.

Yet lots of files have pops, short stops and dropouts when played with MJ. It does seem to be related to the files themselves somehow, since there are files that will always play perfectly, and the ones that give me trouble seem to be pretty much the same ones.

If it was a small percentage, I would asume it was just a matter of poor encoding, but I'd say that a good 30% of all my files exhibit this behavior (and, yes, I have tested them in both Quicktime, WinAmp and WMP, and they play perfectly in all three, even under heavy processor load).

So, any clues? Any solutions?

I'll probably keep MJ for sorting and tag fixing anyway, but I'd hate to have to go back to a less friendly and versatile player.

Teaflax

• Recent member
  • Media hedonist
Re: Sound dropouts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 11:00:07 pm »

Oh, forgot to mention: I run XP Home on this particular machine, but am probably migrating all files and MJ to a slightly slower XP Pro machine in a few weeks time.

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 11:12:15 pm »

Don't have a clue, but try this: Go to playback options and change the output mode to WaveOut or DirectSound and see if this makes any changes on sound, don't use any plugin in DSP studio and see again if the sound changes.
Made in Portugal

Teaflax

• Recent member
  • Media hedonist
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 11:24:59 pm »

Thanks, Chico. As it turns out switching to Direct Sound solved the problem with the very file I was listening to as I read your message. It was dropping badly, so I fiddled a bit with the settings, restarted the song, and now it's fine.

If I may be so bold: You Da Man!

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 02:49:29 pm »

Glad that i could help  ::)  :D
Made in Portugal
Pages: [1]   Go Up