INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice Wanted: Most Efficient Importing Procedure?  (Read 1003 times)

skidoo

• World Citizen
Advice Wanted: Most Efficient Importing Procedure?
« on: September 20, 2002, 08:23:24 am »

I download music files. They all get dumped into one directory. I want to cleanup the tags and import them into MJ (not necessarily in that order), AND I want to reorganize them into folders and rename them appropriately. What's the easiest way to do this?

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. Check "Clear Recently Imported playlist on exit." I can see where the Recently Imported playlist could become a pain pretty quickly, and not particularly useful. I think in the context of a given session it'd be beneficial, but I don't want to have to manually clean it out every so often.

2. But after performing step #1, you run the risk of loosing track of the new files before you've shuttled them into their appropriate directories. So you create a SmartList: folder=d:\newmusic.

3. Once you've got the tags squared away, then you use the Tools\Rename Files from Properties command on the Media File Properties dialog.

Does this make sense? Am I missing something?

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
Re: Advice Wanted: Most Efficient Importing Proced
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 08:07:02 pm »

I found out the hard way that RealOne Player will take individual files, read the ID3 tags, and create the appropriate folders for all of them.  :'(  The only problem with that was that I had several soundtrack and various artist albums, where the artist was different for each song.  ROP created new folders for each song. D'oh!
Luckliy, all of these we copied from CD-R. so I was able to "undo" it.
Now, I'm not sure if MJ can do something like that or not.

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2002, 05:21:20 am »

Hi,

Normally, I would like to reorganize the files in the harddisk after some ripping.  What I do is to move the files in the right directory, backup the library.  I then delete all the entries (select all, delete) and make sure I do NOT check the delete file option.
I then reimport the files.

I just did it today

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2002, 09:07:42 am »

Hi,

Normally, I would like to reorganize the files in the harddisk after some ripping.  What I do is to move the files in the right directory, backup the library.  I then delete all the entries (select all, delete) and make sure I do NOT check the delete file option.
I then reimport the files.

I just did it today

Wouldn't you rather just edit the tags (which you'd do anyway) and leave the directory creation and file moving to MJ? Just curious.

Pages: [1]   Go Up