INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adding media to library takes ages...  (Read 1604 times)

gandt

• Recent member
adding media to library takes ages...
« on: March 20, 2006, 01:44:58 am »

It seems to work but I have all my music on a NAS raid 5 and Media Centre takes ages to import it all. Could i have missed a setting somewhere - it was particularly annoying yesterday because my wireless network went down for a few minutes - the "correct links" option had been slected and 8000 tunes got removed from my library in a few minutes. I can see the logic of that were it not for the fact that getting back those 8000 looks like it will take two days. Anybody else noted this or is it some dumb thing im doing?

graham

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: adding media to library takes ages...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 02:05:53 am »

On import MC analyzes each file and reads a small amount of the file contents. It does not just add the filename links to the library.

The wireless networks seem to always have some lag even the stated transfer speed can be 54 or 108 mbps in some cases. A wired properly configured 100 mb LAN is always clearly faster. A 1 gb LAN is naturally even more so.

In any case importing from a fast HD is the speediest way. Can you place the files temporally on a standard hard drive (internal, usb2 or firewire)? Then you could make the import from a local drive and fix the base path later in a few seconds with the Find and Replace tool. (It is really fast if the disk files are hidden from MC.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 02:26:01 am »

thanks for the reply - what does MC do in the analysis? Would there be a case for a "link only" option on import and analyse later as a background task - or does it need the analysis immediately?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 04:36:41 am »

Besides reading the metadata from the physical file tags MC calculates the duration and bitrate. For that MC may need to read and decode some of the audio content too (depending on the file format and used encoder).

EDIT

I don't think a "link only" option would be really needed. Whenever you don't have time to go through the import process you can always access unimported files simply by browsing them in Drives & Devices and play the files from there. MC analyses unimported files on a need basis.

You can also drag files to Playing Now from Windows Explorer or use the right-click > Media Center > menu commands (Shell Integration must be enabled in MC options for this).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:12:11 am »

gandt,
Please copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 11:08:55 am »

It takes big time with me too..
Tamer

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 12:46:18 pm »

HERE AS REQUESTED IS THE INFO

Media Center Registered 11.1.148 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 2008 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2096 MB, Free - 1404 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5296.0 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive H: AOPEN   DUW1608/ARR       Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive I:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive H: AOPEN    DUW1608/ARR        Addr: 0:2:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /
Pages: [1]   Go Up