INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: editing replaygain tags in FLAC files  (Read 1517 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
editing replaygain tags in FLAC files
« on: April 30, 2006, 10:21:09 am »

hi

i have put together a playlist of tracks from various sources, and even with replaygain applied to all of these tracks, there are noticeable differences in the volume.  i am presuming that the simplest way to deal with this is to edit replaygain tags (i.e. change the replaygain value manually) rather than actually edit the FLAC file.  i don't seem to be able to edit replaygain tags in MC11 though - there is only the option to clear the replaygain info.  is there another program that i can use to edit replaygain tags?

thanks

nick.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: editing replaygain tags in FLAC files
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 11:24:04 am »

For example, Mp3tag can change the physical file tags, but I would recommend trying scthom's EQdb plugin: http://mcplugins.sourceforge.net/eqdb.html.

You can adjust the preamp value with it. You can also easily revert the changes by disabling the plugin or removing the EQ field values.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 12:37:06 pm »

if i am burning a CD will the EQdb value be applied along with replaygain?

nick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 01:28:08 pm »

No, EQ is not available in the burning options.

However, you can use MC's Disk Writer output mode for making intermediate wave files that include all DSP effects. So if you are satisfied with the EQdb correction on standard playback you can apply exactly the same effect.

Since FLAC files need to be decompressed anyway it is almost the same to decompress them first and drop the wave files into the burn window.

EDIT

I rechecked the burning options and I think you can use MC's EQ as well. (EQdb uses MC's standard EQ DSP for making track adjustments so it should work.)

You may want to use a rewritable disc for testing this.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 04:33:06 am »

thanks alex

in the end i worked out that i can edit replaygain tags in dbpoweramp and then update library from tags in MC.  it seems simpler to just keep one tag for gain info.  it would be great to have the ability to do this in MC.

nick

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:10:02 am »

Nick--
Glad to see it worked out for you, more or less. 

When I first looked at the replay gain function, it bothered me that it wasn't editable in a straightforward manner.  If I had thought of the dbpoweramp solution, I probably would have tried it.  But then I would have missed out on EQdb, which I believe is core audio functionality.

Although it may seem more complex, the distinct advantage of EQdb over any other solution is its interactivity.  IMO, the shortcomings of Replay Gain can't be remedied in a global fashion--while most tracks are analyzed just fine, the remaining few need tweaking during playback, which you can do with EQdb.  I'm not aware of any other approach, for any player, that offers this. 

Thank you again, scthom!
Pages: [1]   Go Up