INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuilding the folder structure  (Read 1610 times)

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Rebuilding the folder structure
« on: April 30, 2006, 04:10:15 pm »

I know this is probably a long shot, but I want to create a new folder structure (on my disk) for my music files. I'm sure in a previous version of MediaCenter or Mediaplayer there was a way of copying/moving the files to a new location (such as a new disk), and it automatically built folder names based on artist/album fields. 

It may have been my imagination though!! Does anyone know if this can be done in MC (or is planned for the future) or if there's a plugin or other software that might do this for me.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Rebuilding the folder structure
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 04:17:41 pm »

Wayhey. Just worked out how to do it. With the rename files from properties feature. It worked great in a test of 12 files. How do you think it'll handle 20,000? Should I do it in parts do you think? Would it take forever?

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 04:28:12 pm »

Skeet,

I've never tried moving 20,000 files before, but I would have to suggest doing it in some kind of staggered system.  MC is decent at moving things, but I have had it come up with errors before where the file would be moved, but the "pointer" to the file would stay in it's previous location.  Then, I'd have to put the file back in it's old place with something other than MC, and move it again.  Doing a few at a time seemed to minimize that.

I hope this helps.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 05:02:33 pm »

There's no problem doing all the files at once, provided you're sure you understand the tool.

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 05:26:46 pm »

skeet--
The rename tool is rock-solid and works like a charm.  However it is VERY powerful, so you should start out in stages and verify the results against your expectations.  I've done 10,000 tracks in 3 or 4 stages. 

Keep an eye on long filenames.  This might be the issue that c1 experienced.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 03:05:56 am »

If your folders contain files that are not imported by MC then they will be ignored with the rename files from properties feature.

I usually use drag drop in MC's tree to get this done. Everything moves over and MC is aware.

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 04:17:23 am »

Thanks for your tips everyone. I'll let you know how I get on.

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 04:20:15 am »

How does the tool work in terms of required disk space. Does it move all the files to the new structure and then delete all the old ones, or does it move and delete each file one at a time?  And what is the problem with file name length that could occur?
Pages: [1]   Go Up